Having Fun With Small IC Engines

I used a bulb pump like that Rindert but after a couple years the tubing got brittle. Of course for six and a half bucks I can’t complain. Now I have the harbor freight battery one SteveU mentioned. I have only used it for pulling hydro solution out of my grow containers. Sez it can be used to pump gasoline. It sucks good.

https://www.harborfreight.com/battery-operated-liquid-transfer-pump-63847.html?_br_psugg_q=battery+pump

3 Likes

Here is what I have used for small engine gasoline removals:

Listen and not recommended for gasoline.
I do enough heavy gear oils so a gallon or so of gasoline out of a small engine tank will not harm it.
Does somewhat cross contaminate with whatever you last sucked out however. No biggy as far as I’m concerned taking out old gasoline anyhow.

Better is a simple one stroke suction sucker/filler

These last two just the ticket for AWD, PTU’s gearbox units and such. Work sideways and upside down.
For gasoline do oil wet the o-rings before and after.

I do not like motor transfer pumping gasoline. Scares me.
S.U.

5 Likes

Hi All,
Here is a new video out showing just how much cheap fun is now possible with small engines again.
He is try-it; swapping engine parts from different OEM configurations. Memeber @Wallace here on the DOW has talked a lot about these now clone engine possibilities:

Pay particular attention to this guys detailed fussing at ~1:14 an on, with setting up the engines speed governor to the adapted over used carburetor. He does not want an RPM runaway occurrence to happen damaging his work.

After that when he sets up his camera stand gravity bottle gasoline gravity feed for engine starting and testing do see he is in a warming long sleeved sweat shirt.
Mean his shop is kept cold.
Cool-cold keeps wicked gasoline still somewhat safe.
Gasoline at above ~60-70F/16-22C becomes more and more flash-point self vaporizing evil always trying to burn you. Burn up your equipments. Burn down your shops.
Treat is as actively mean, and evil; always out to harm you with the least bit of loss of attention. All snakes can and will bite. All dogs can and will bite. All guns can and will Unintentionally Discharge.
Never forget this warning about gasoline.
Steve Unruh

7 Likes
9 Likes
9 Likes

Hey Stuie,
If you like that kind of thing you ought to have a look at John Stouts Woodgas Rat Rod Build.
One of my goals is to make something for fairs and parades.
Rindert
The ColoRODans host little events up in Longmont. I always want to go with a woodgas vehicle.

8 Likes

Fun with small IC engines can be making new, old-basic solutions:

Ha! Ha! At 71 old and decades married now I can only dream-away.
Can’t afford the Dee-Vorce. (kindda’ sounds like some kind of motorcycle, eh!)
And old, and wrinkled, getting a bit stooped-bent now - with not all that much money, a younger gal just ain’t in the cards. Don’t want to sleep solo anymore, ever again.
S.U.

9 Likes

I started stripping down that diesel generator yesterday as i have spent forever trying to get it to run without it pouring out black smoke , i have a feeling the person who sold it me may have rebuilt the internals and maybe miss aligned the timing marks easily done i am told ,
in the mean time i bought a Japanese generator set that was not making power , i managed to get that to make power almost as soon as i got home with it , and 20 seconds after plugin something into the outlet the engine came to a VERY sudden stop !
opened it up 3 days ago to find the crank in half ,plus half a conrod a cracked barrel and piston to boot = scrap Oh and while out collecting the said generator i got zapped by a speed camera , still waiting for that to drop in my mail box , i may be lucky but the way my lucks going i doubt it .
But then maybe my luck is changing on my daily trolls through Market place and Gumtree looking for a small diesel generator i went back maybe 3 dozen pages and came across a picture of a rusty old looking generator listed about a month ago ,in a sound proofed box with the listing 2 x 50hz generators for sale $100 must take both , of course i was sending him a message even before reading the full advert , i waited the whole bloody day for a answer and by tea time decided it wasn’t ment for me , next time i checked my emails was 10.00pm and there was a message saying yes he still has them and he would ring me in the morning , i could hardly sleep with excitement 2 identical generators for 100 bucks is like so many Christmases and birthdays rolled into one , went over to collect this this afternoon and a very heavy built man came out and said to me there bloody heavy , boy he wasnt kiddin he was built like a brick shit house and he struggled to lift his end high enough onto a bench about 2/3 the hight of the tail lift so we could get it into the back in 2 lifts it has to be in the region of 150kg 800x600x500 its a fair size for sure and he had 2 of them identical , so i am going back in the week with a little crane on the back of a truck as it was hard work lifting that one .
Anyway got home lifted it off with the grab on the excavator with a sling and the bloody sling slid off letting it drop onto the ground before it rolled over on its side spilling a little fuel out bugger ! re tied it up and got it close to my shed and opened it up and it looked like new inside he had said they were both working when he moved into the property about 1.5 years ago but had never used them .
Checked oil bolted a battery on turned the key the damn thing started up turned the breaker switch and it was making power how good is that ! i reckon it has to be between 10 /15kva , not really sure , i know its way heavier that my 8kva one , he is going to look for a manual for me , just goes to show don’t go by looks i think that’s why he had not sold them because the outside looks like a box of rust , but inside where it mattered it was clean and dry so it looked like new .
Happier now Dave

10 Likes

I liked that Janus video. If I had a lot of money I might show up at their sales counter, with my chargas generator in the back of my truck, and ask whether they would consider building me a chargas bike. Just wonder what kind of reaction I’d get.
Rindert

6 Likes

I am a bit over two hours away from the Janus factory in Goshen, IN. I am ashamed to admit I never heard of them until today. Time to get a tour! Good Grief! :roll_eyes: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :cowboy_hat_face:

6 Likes

Well if you go to the amish craftsman factory, maybe you can convince them to use woodgas for their generators. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Actually, I’d be interested to hear what Amish people think about Woodgas.
Rindert

8 Likes

We had a group of them come to visit at Argos a couple years back.

10 Likes

Here is a couple of videos for you “Diesel” Dave

As you’ll see this fellow had a hateful of problems hard mechanical to electro-mechanical he had to work through.
A few fellows I’ve talked to in cold-cold winter say just skip the cold diesel problems. Cold-cold: use gasoline. Just cold: use propane. Set back the diesel use for warm times.
You are more moderate climate even if windy stormy, wet.
Regards
Steve Unruh

5 Likes

Here a video more-less proving how stupid unobservant folks can be.
He is running this hard down on loose dirt&sand, blocking the underside drawn cooling air.
He is running it with the side cover always off. So it will not suck-in force cooling air around the inverter pac.
Then he is complaining of flashing overload light he now wants to bypass. Overloaded, undercooled, overheating, inverter will want to drop out.
His AC feed cord is undersized for the distance away he has this poor generator going to his high demand wall AC, and that high need-power when brewing, drip coffee maker

So yeah. Don’t blame the generator if you are a dumb-dumb.
Steve unruh

4 Likes

Hey Steve , thanks for finding those video’s it looks almost the same apart from a few items like does not have a pull starter and also are only 240Volt , apart from that they look identical , still not sure of the KW output ,i would have had to guess its higher than the one in the video due to the extreme weight of the thing , today i borrowed a crane truck to pick up the 2nd unit and took it to my friends shed as its too big to maneuver around my place , i shall keep it handy for spares but what a bargain 100 bucks for 2 that’s around $70 US i think .
Cheers “veggie oil” Dave :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Hey All,
Another interesting small IC engine channel to watch:

Small engines are fun and very, very doable.
Cars are in comparison not fun at all anymore for me. Have not been for decades. Necessities I force myself to do anymore. And always expensive to do.
Electrical generators IC engine driven slot in between these in skills and costs needed nicely IMHO.
Motorcycles you then back up into legal on-roads needs $$$.
I can do five non-road IC engines systems for the cost of one motorcycle.
Regards
Steve unruh

8 Likes

Well I finally do have my three basic loaner-out units-in-blue.
The three of these were $911.40 USD total.
That is $100’s less than a single new 2200 Honda or Yamaha inverter unit. So what ever the life would be on the Honda with a now a 121cc engine operating slower RPM, these three higher speed 80cc Chinese units would at least cumulatively match or exceed that.
One neighbor I’d loaned out too then did his due-diligence Net research and ended up ordering his own Bilt Hard 2000/2500 unit. Delivered to him yesterday.
Ha! I’m the spare parts depot now.

The 1/2 the price 1000/1200 watt 2-stroke unit only gives 1/2 the power for the same fuel use. And that 2-stroke fuel will be more expensive with the added consumable engine oil.
Poor, poor value anymore to go that way anymore.

Yeah. Been really really wet here

Dry and warm by the wood stove today and the next few upcoming days.
A different area fellow and his wife visited yesterday for him to see my woodgas systems stocks and variety of generators types. he has the original Mother Earth News woodgas publications. Has a pair of Ben Peterson’s woodgasifers books.
He was actually interested in my Baker Junior water well jack pump. It is rated for a maximum of 170 feet lift. His well is only 50 foot deep. But he must four stage condition and filter his for potable water. Takes power to do that.
Ours well reaches down nearly 200 feet. Then another 100 feet lifting up hill and into the house. Our pumped water is naturally clean and immediately useable. I must make 240 VAC for the deep well pump. At that is the job of the woodgasable 459cc Harbor Freight 9500/7200 unit.
Steve Unruh

11 Likes

I wish I could have fun with small engines. I really want to hook my Miller welder/generator to a water cooled engine but I find I barely have enough energy to get the garden growing and maintained and then the rest of the year and effort goes into processing fire wood. The only way to avoid getting old doesn’t get anything accomplished either. It is what it is. Since we had such a mild winter and I still have a lot of last years fire wood left, maybe I can play with other things.

8 Likes

Steve, I hope you have them tied down ,floating away inverter generators can be a real pain chasing them down the driveway. :grin:
Dave

9 Likes