Help me understand a wood carburetor

Steve .

I always look forward for any of your comments .

Gold to me !!

4 Likes

Haters? If they have better information than you let them speak up. Obviously me and some other less experienced members are relying on your explanations. Iā€™m finally starting to understand your personal language. No time to stop now. Some folks here think about things like EMPā€™s and Carrington Events. This source of information could blink out of existence. I wish there was a way to sort all this knowledge from all that the folks here have learned in their experiments and hard copy it. As long as we can communicate like this then please carry on SteveU.

2 Likes

Hi JanA,
More quotes for your answers:
"Now bare in mind, a raw wood gasifier is actually a charcoal gasifier with a condensate drip . . . if you do it right, then perfect gas . . . "
"People tend to forget these simple rules yes . . . " TIME, TEMPERATURE, and TURBULANCE
ā€œUnderstanding the speed of the gasses passing thru that layer of hot glowing carbon, the time it needs to convert, based on YOUR fuel
A low steady speed gas stream, passing thru a thick maze of glowing chunks . . .
Design YOUR gasifier based on your need of that glowing char . . .
How to maintain that layer of glowing char is key (more than 1 solution possible)ā€
Keon Van Looken, on Joni gas generator, version8.0 (GJ - 8.0) topic

3 Likes

ā€œ3 things make reactions happen faster: heat, time and stirring (turbulence). Thatā€™s basic chemistry.
So if one parameter is reduced, (then either) one or 2 (of the others) must be increased for the same result.ā€
Kristijan Leitinger on Merits of gasifier styles
S.U.

2 Likes

One way to try to visualize the gasifier is making the oxygen run out at a desired location which should be near the grate area .

Think of the char as being little critters that are hungry for oxygen and if they get plenty of oxygen they will get real hot and fade away to dust but while doing so will fart gas .

If the char is given an over supply of oxygen and some of the oxygen makes it past the char bed and mixes with the gas that has been made the gas will burn making heat ( heater mode ) , gasifier burning its own gas and over heating without giving much gas to the motor .

If the gasifier gets too loose we could call this diarrhea . If it is too tight we could call it constipation.

Things that could cause the gasifier to be too loose . big fuel ( little surface area ) , hard motor pull causing fast air velocity and little time to react with the charā€¦ Short distance from nozzles to restriction . . Small diameter burn tube will cause higher air velocity . Small diameter choke plate will also cause higher velocity . Changing the choke plate diameter on the gasifier is like adjusting a water/ garden hose nozzle . The amount of water coming through the hose may not change but the velocity at the discharge does .

Things that can cause constipation . Small wood ( much surface area ) causing the oxygen to be consumed high in the burn tube . Easy motor pull ( plenty of time for the oxygen to be consumed high in the burn tube ) Long burn tube ( oxygen consumed before it reaches the grate area.) Big diameter fire tube ( air velocity slow and oxygen used high in the tube ) Big restriction plate ( slow velocity )

If too much of the reaction is taking place high in the fire tube the ash that is formed will settle on the char resting on the grate and begin to restrict the air flow ( constipation )

If the proper balance of the gasifier can be had oxygen can get to the grate area occasionally and dissolve some of the char allowing the fines to be purged .

12 Likes

Thanks Wayne, this was probably the most informative thing I read, I learned a lot.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s what I call pedagogical skills.
A similar ā€œfarting critterā€ post from 5-6 years ago is what really stuck to my mind. Canā€™t seem to find it now, but as I remember it moisture was added into the equation. Wet fuel giving the same result as big fuel and dry fuel same as small fuel. Correct me if Iā€™m wrong.

2 Likes

JO you know english better than I do. I had to look it up :blush:

5 Likes

Itā€™s Greekā€¦ :smile:

5 Likes

Hey Don .

I also had to look it up .

7 Likes

That is why!
It was Greek to me.

5 Likes

A question for you @don_mannes Mr Don, do you have anything more as a filter than a mattress? Do you have hay in the barrel too?

1 Like

I have wheat straw in the barrel under the 4 inch foam.
I had leafy/grassy hay in first but it packed and would not breathe when it got wet.

5 Likes

Hi Don, I also use wild barley straw in my hay filter, I put into a net laundry bag, it grows around our place. It does not pack down, easy to wash down with water and it works great.
Bob

2 Likes

Thanks Don and Robert, I have grass underneath and think itā€™s too dense, may I try something else.
We have no one growing grain up here.

3 Likes

Hi Jan, even a tall stawky bunch grass will work, cut at the end of the growing season in the fall before the snow covers it up and flattens it down. Our wild bunch grass grows about 2ā€™ or 60 cm to 4ā€™ or 120 cm tall.
Bob

1 Like

Ok, how thick with grass do you usually have in the barrel?

1 Like

I take enough course grass putting it in the bags. I use 2 bags because I have a wooden disc spacer with lots of 5 cm holes in it. between the bags.
I have a plastic barrel and the vacuum can clasps it with out spacers. aanother spacer below on top of a plastic bucket with lots of 5 cm holes put in bottom and side of the bucket. This keeps the course grass out of the water below. It filled to the top with a little space at the top. 4" to 10 cm. That it. I was it down after putting it in. And wash it down about every 1200 miles or 1931 kilometers.
Bob

1 Like

Mr @Wayne
2 questions, If I open the nozzles, will the oxygen go further down in the fire tube then?
I get a lot of waste of pine when I saw, is it much worse than birch (harder wood)?

1 Like

Any O sticked on any other molecule than C will try to connect with an C molecule under certain temp and pressure conditions.

the glowing char also reforms nox ā€¦

The glowing Char is the heart ā€¦ feed it with a balanced diet of endo and exo thermic reactionsā€¦

Hint: HHO at a smart level does wondersā€¦

2 Likes