Hemp vs Marijuana

They are the same general family, but really they are only about as closely related as lawn grass is to wheat. Hemp barely has any THC (main chemical that gets people high) compared to marijuana/cannabis.

One can’t really get high from smoking hemp, which makes it all the more ridiculous that it’s been demonized for “looking like the plant that gets people high”.

That said, as an industrial plant for fiber (string/clothing); oil (nutritional, plastics, household); or seed protein (byproduct of making oil) it’s very efficient for products per acre.

5 Likes

The founders of this great nation used hemp for everything, coming over on ships they would throw anything over board to lighten the load exempt hemp seed, that’s how important it was.

5 Likes

Brian,
Ridiculous isn’t strong enough for the gov’t attitude. I’ve read somewhere that you need a permit to even grow hemp simply for the reason you mention, It looks like pot! 46,000+ people are killed on our highways (no pun intended) every year by that perfectly legal drug, alcohol. Talk about the kettle calling the pot black!

2 Likes

Here in Washington, pot is totally legal for both medical and recreational use. Only licensed growers and medical patients can grow cannabis (like a 10 plant limit for medical patients).

Almost a year later, an agricultural college was first allowed to start growing industrial-grade hemp, and only for research purposes.

@Chris please split the hemp-related stuff when you get a chance. Thanks.

2 Likes

Hemp (from Old English hænep) is a commonly used term for high-growing industrial varieties of the Cannabis plant and its products, which include fiber, oil, and seed and less than 0.03% THC. Hemp is refined into products such as hemp seed foods, hemp oil, wax, resin, rope, cloth, pulp, paper, and fuel.

Hemp is not to be confused with the close relative marijuana, which also comes from the Cannabis plant, but is widely used as a recreational drug and medicine. The marijuana variants have a higher content of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and other cannabinoids. The legality of marijuana varies widely from country to country, and from state to state in the United States. In many countries regulatory limits for concentrations of psychoactive compounds, particularly THC, in hemp require the use of strains of the plant which are bred for low content.[1]
Uses

Hemp field in Côtes-d’Armor, Brittany, France

Hemp grown for milk animal fodder.
Hemp is used for many varieties of products including the manufacture of cordage of varying tensile strength, durable clothing and nutritional products. The bast fibers can be used in 100% hemp products, but are commonly blended with other organic fibers such as flax, cotton or silk, for apparel and furnishings, most commonly at a 55%/45% hemp/cotton blend. The inner two fibers of hemp are more woody and are more often used in non-woven items and other industrial applications, such as mulch, animal bedding and litter. The oil from the fruits (“seeds”) oxidizes (commonly, though inaccurately, called “drying”) to become solid on exposure to air, similar to linseed oil, and is sometimes used in the manufacture of oil-based paints, in creams as a moisturizing agent, for cooking, and in plastics. Hemp seeds have been used in bird feed mix as well.[2] A survey in 2003 showed that more than 95% of hemp seed sold in the EU was used in animal and bird feed.[3]

In modern times hemp is used for industrial purposes including paper, textiles, clothing, biodegradable plastics, construction (as with Hempcrete and insulation), body products, health food and bio-fuel.
Food

Hemp seeds.
Hemp seeds can be eaten raw, ground into a meal, sprouted or made into dried sprout powder, made into hemp milk (akin to soy milk) and hemp juice, prepared as tea,[4] and used in baking. Roughly 30-35% of the mass of the seeds can be extracted as hempseed oil, which is rich in unsaturated fatty acids. The fresh leaves can also be consumed in salads. Products include cereals, frozen waffles, hemp milk ice cream, hemp tofu, and nut butters. A few companies produce value added hemp seed items that include the seed oils, whole hemp grain (which is sterilized by law in the United States, where they import it from China and Canada), dehulled hemp seed (the whole seed without the mineral rich outer shell), hemp flour, hemp cake (a by-product of pressing the seed for oil) and hemp protein powder. Even though hemp and marijuana are both made from the ‘Cannabis’ species (but different sub-species), hemp seeds contain negligible levels of tetrahydrocannabinol (THC),[citation needed] which is the psychoactive substance in marijuana.

Market
Within the UK, the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (Defra) has treated hemp as purely a non-food crop. Seed appears on the UK market as a legal food product, and cultivation licenses are available for this purpose. In North America, hemp seed food products are sold, typically in health food stores or through mail order. The United States Department of Agriculture has concluded that “the market potential for hemp seed as a food ingredient is unknown. However, it probably will remain a small market, like those for sesame and poppy seeds.”[5] In 2011, the U.S. imported $11.5 million worth of legal hemp products, up from $1.4 million in 2000, most of that driven by growth in hemp seed and hemp oil used in food products.[6]

Nutrition
Further information: Hemp seed
Hemp seed, hulled
Nutritional value per 100 g (3.5 oz)
Energy 2,451 kJ (586 kcal)
Carbohydrates
4.67 g
Sugars
lactose
1.50 g
0.07 g
Dietary fiber 4.0 g
Fat
48.75 g
Saturated 4.600 g
Trans 0 g
Monounsaturated 5.400 g
Polyunsaturated
omega‑3
omega‑6
38.100 g
9.301 g
28.698 g
Protein
31.56 g
Tryptophan 0.369 g
Threonine 1.269 g
Isoleucine 1.286 g
Leucine 2.163 g
Lysine 1.276 g
Methionine 0.933 g
Cystine 0.672 g
Phenylalanine 1.447 g
Tyrosine 1.263 g
Valine 1.777 g
Arginine 4.550 g
Histidine 0.969 g
Alanine 1.528 g
Aspartic acid 3.662 g
Glutamic acid 6.269 g
Glycine 1.611 g
Proline 1.597 g
Serine 1.713 g
Vitamins
Vitamin A equiv.
beta-carotene
(0%) 1 μg
(0%) 7 μg
Vitamin A 11 IU
Thiamine (B1) (111%) 1.275 mg
Riboflavin (B2) (24%) 0.285 mg
Niacin (B3) (61%) 9.200 mg
Vitamin B6 (46%) 0.600 mg
Folate (B9) (28%) 110 μg
Vitamin B12 (0%) 0 μg
Vitamin C (1%) 0.5 mg
Vitamin E (5%) 0.80 mg
Minerals
Calcium (7%) 70 mg
Iron (61%) 7.95 mg
Magnesium (197%) 700 mg
Manganese (362%) 7.600 mg
Phosphorus (236%) 1650 mg
Potassium (26%) 1200 mg
Sodium (0%) 5 mg
Zinc (104%) 9.90 mg
Other constituents
Water 4.96 g
Cholesterol 0 mg
Link to Complete USDA Nutrient Database Entry
Units
μg = micrograms • mg = milligrams
IU = International units
Percentages are roughly approximated using US recommendations for adults.
Hemp seeds are notable as a high-protein food source, providing 73% of the Daily Value (DV) in a 100 g serving.[7] Hempseed amino acid profile is comparable to other sources of protein such as meat, milk, eggs and soy.[8] Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score values (PDCAAS), which measure the degree to which a food for humans is a “complete protein”, were 0.49-0.53 for whole hemp seed, 0.46-0.51 for hemp seed meal, and 0.63-0.66 for dehulled hemp seed.[9]

Hemp seeds are also a rich source of the dietary minerals, magnesium (160% DV), zinc (77% DV) and iron (53% DV), and a good source of dietary fiber (13% DV).[7]

Approximately 73% of the energy in hemp seeds is in the form of fats and essential fatty acids,[7] mainly polyunsaturated fatty acids, linoleic, oleic and alpha-linolenic acids.[8]

Hemp can substitute milk

6 Likes

I am probably not going to ever be comfortable with it even once its leagal.

But I am aware of the many many uses of hemp and I think we should grow more of it.

3 Likes

People do a lot of stupid things.

Abuse alcohol, abuse marijuana, abuse french fries, etc.

But, in a free country, they are at liberty to make their own mistakes, and pay the consequences.

It is very interesting that the federal government found it necessary to pass a constitutional amendment to ban alcohol back in 1920, and to pass another constitutional amendment to undo the disastrous policy in 1933.

In this, they were entirely correct. A constitutional amendment was plainly required, as anybody who can read at an 8th grade level could easily discern by reading the Constitution. That was about the last time they made anything more than a pretense of following the highest law of the land. But if they were still following it, a similar amendment would have been required to ban marijuana, hemp, wood stoves, and about a million other things they have taken it upon themselves to legislate from on high.

When the rulers are lawless, they should not be surprised when the people follow suit.

12 Likes

I once had a pair of bluejeans made with hemp fiber, they lasted about twice as long as cotton jeans. Hemp doesn’t have nearly the environmental impact of cotton either, and grows well in northern climates (lots of hemp grown here now), but sadly North America saw fit to export their entire textile industry to Bangladesh India and Indonesia. Growing hemp here requires a special license, minimum of 20 acres, and government inspection. About the only viable market is for the seed and byproducts. It’s a low input crop, and probably serves to suppress weeds, so it has value in a crop rotation but the market is limited.

I hear that it’s superior to wood as a paper feedstock, thus the campaign against it by William Randolph Hurst. We seem to be missing out on a lot of potential.

Regards,

4 Likes

We always used hemp rope when I was was a kid to tie down the loads of hay. That is the best rope you can get way better then the nylon stuff you find all over the place now but as a society we are in love with big business and plastics as they come with oil…
I am all for hemp products like rope and clothing. Like mentioned above the easier more natural crops are much better on the land and the farmer. If I remember correctly cotton is one of these crops that uses alot of chemical to grow well.
As to the stuff you smoke I agree with the free choice of adults so long as they don’t get behind the wheel. Take all the risks you want with your life but don’t take a deadly weapon and point it at me when you are all messed up. When you are not clear headed your car is a weapon I don’t care what the issue is if you can’t think straight don’t drive.

5 Likes

The movie, “Refer Madness” came out at about the time that they were writing the laws on controlled substances. It’s on youtube and even a 7 year old could tell that it is contrived. The fact is; you can grow good pot but, you can’t make good booze. Booze was easier to tax so, it was the intoxicant of choice by the taxman.
My place in coastal oregon got a reguilar overflight looking for pot. Then, they changed the law. Then, the county sent me official notices of where I could grow pot. You have to think about how ridiculous it is to have something illegal one day and,legal the next.
Pot and alcohol AND the 55 mph speed limit. If enough people flout a law, they have to get rid of it, for fear that people will start to flout any law that they don’t like. This isn’t meant to be political, just an observation of human nature.

3 Likes

Randolph Hearst was involved as was Harry J. Anslinger.

The US imports around 500M dollars worth of hemp goods from Canada. With the passing of the US 2014 federal farm bill (section 7606), farmers in states with industrial hemp legislation are allowed to grow and harvest hemp in conjunction with their state departments of agriculture for research through pilot programs.
Some states legalized it for research only through universities, some states allow pilot farms, etc.

1 Like

As far as driving concerns, I suspect that the new crop of self-driving vehicles about to hit the market it will fix driving concerns and also concerns with drunk drivers, and elderly drivers and handicap drivers. You are looking at like thousands in mods for breathilizers and handicap mods. Self-driving is being built in to the Tesla, and the new Chevy Bolt will have it built in. Ford is going to show off their tech which will be available later. Google’s parent company Alphabet, split google’s self-driving division into a company called Waymo, and they have modded 100 Chrysler Pacifica hybrids with their tech. Lucid motors if they actually start producing cars (supposedly 2018) will use Mobileye technology for theirs.

Self-driving truck start-up Otto teamed with Anheuser-Busch and they have already made a delivery trip on the road in Colorado.

I think self driving cars might be a good thing but I am glad I have a small farm and the chance to drive my old tractors. I just enjoy driving too much to want to give it up. Now when I drove 45 minutes to work everyday and it was just a chore to get me to work I would have been happy to get in my car and veg most mornings. So I guess it has a place.

3 Likes

Have to wonder if a California computer geek can program a car to drive on a Colorado mountain road in a winter storm. Don’t want to risk my life to find out.

3 Likes

Well, all technology fails at some point. I’m not sure I want to trust my life or my families with a computer’s driving. I guess that gives a whole new meaning to the idea of a computer crash. Then again maybe it’s safer than my driving. I wonder when out Gummint will decide computers are safer drivers than we are and mandate that human drivers are no longer allowed on the roads.

4 Likes

I hemmed and hawed a lot about posting this, but maybe It will help change just one person’s life. Today marks the beginning of my 32nd year without one of the most insidious drugs going, ALCOHOL! Do you know about substitutions for breaking habits. Despite what some may say or think about my choice, my life changed immensely for the better when I quit alcohol (started drinking at 15). It was the hardest thing I’ve done in my life, but I got through it with the help of God and his blessing us with marijuana. Funny how you used to have to hide your smoking because IT was illegal and would ruin your life, but legal alcohol made you the funniest guy at the party. Stand in front of a mirror one day like I did with another bottle of beer in your hand, look yourself in your eyes and try lying to that guy then! It was one of the most significant moments in my life. I poured out the rest of the beer and asked God to rid me of this devil. Yes, I cried and I have tears in my eyes now recalling that momentous day. It was a long journey filled with temptation and doubt but my prayer was answered and I am eternally grateful. Marijuana changed my life for the better forever.
So Happy New Year, Everyone. Peace out, praise the Lord and pass the pipe.
Pepe

15 Likes

13 years here Pepe, now Im addicted to wood gas and micro controllers. :fire:

5 Likes

In Colorado were I live pot has been legal for a few years now. You can get a DWI for to many beers or to many puffs but with to many beers many people drive faster to many puffs most people slow down.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Matt, I love Cheech and Chong. I guess everything can be done to excess but these guys make it an art form. Thanks for the laugh.
Pepe

4 Likes