High efficient combi wall boiler

Anyone tried to convert an LP combi boiler to woodgas? Have had little success getting it to run well. Any ideas?

2 Likes

This is exactly what i have been thinking about! If the process is the same as biogas conversation its very easy but i havnt been able to find any information about it. It could just be as simple as increasing the gas valves and closing off the Venturi. Let me know any information you find. Cheers

3 Likes

I have been working on this on and off for over a year now. Have tried many different setups, but i have a hard time getting it to run strait off woodgas. It will run well if i add a small amount of LP. The trouble is the modulating. The blower motor runs up to hard and i lose a flame. But probably some oversight on my end. Also when i do get it to run it only heats to like 107 degrees F. But my knowledge is limited and i am working off trial and error.

Thanks for you post,

Sam

3 Likes

Tell me a bit more about what you are trying to run (model) it seems that it can be done just getting thr fuel/air ratio needs to be right. Without knowing what you have tried i would just ve suggesting things you may have tried already. My thoughts are treat it like an engine install a carburettor with a o2 sensor with digital display that way you can see when the ratio is right.

Cheers
Rob

3 Likes

I was running my gas bag to an air compressor and regulating it to inches of water column and regulating the air coming into the blower by reducing the size of intake. I have a Westinghouse premium combi boiler. I would like to try to use a biogas booster pump as to not compress the gas. But I do like your idea to run it like an engine.

Thanks for your insight,

Sam

3 Likes

I got the boiler to work. Just need to find a better blower that puts out more volume. I can only get about 4 inch of water colom with the current blower. If i can get it up to 7 i think it would be running very well. Any thoughts on a good blower with good output?

Hi i am larry from canada i have been trying to do the same thing but it hasnt worked out as of yet. how are you doing with your project

I was looking for this one. Any idea what flow/pressure you are looking for?

I think this one is a good substitute for a 4 kW genset or 16 kW heater.

2 Likes

I have made some progress. I have a blower hooked to a pressure switch so when the ignition blower turns on gas is sucked from my gas bag to the boiler. I can get it to run up to like 100 degeees when it is cold out but could use some help with the heat. Also uses a lot of wood gas. I was thinking of adding some plastic in my gasifier to get more BTU value. Would love to hear any thoughts.

1 Like

I am abe to get like 5.5 inches of water colum with current setup. Runs but doesnt make a lot of heat.

1 Like