Hole tapping trivia

I have a couple of webpages devoted to hole tapping.

Just recently an Australian guy told me that I had my tap styles labeled incorrectly.
They are:

He said that the “Plug” tap is really called the “intermediate”.
And that the “Bottoming” tap is really called the “plug”.

I was surprised, since I have been buying and using taps for many years using the taper-plug-bottoming terminology.
I did some checking and found that in Australia and Britain they DO use those differing terms. I wonder how that happened.
And then, I wonder what they call the tap styles in the other 200+ countries in the world.

Pete Stanaitis