Hopper alarm with hush button

Hello every one.
What I use is the same as Chris built , but instead of the controller I use a 200 degree snap switch.can be purchased at any heating outlet for 5 to10 bucks.
The buster is from a semi used for low air pressure on there braking system.
Calvin…

4 Likes

Chris,

Thanks for the links!..this is going to help. I may need to start w my bbq sensors and wait on the TC because I am suffering from “scope creep” right now before even flairing!

2 Likes

Mike, Chris and alls…

Thermocoupler

I just received for my 95 Dakota:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0K7SD1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_ZKrdAb7HDPKK7

I bought 2 of these and so far they seem great. I will install tomorrow. It includes a high temp alarm and a hush alarm button and operates on 12 volts. The board is about 4 by 2 inches. Sadly it only displays in Celsius but for $14 delivered in 2 days with Amazon prime I couldnt be happier.

I am going to try using 2 diff probes per board (wired w a momentary switch to see probe 2) so hopefully get to see 4 temp probes on 2 displays where the default probe with be set with my high temp alarm.

What could go wrong?

Aaron

4 Likes

Aaron,
I might have to try a couple of those!
:grin: Good Find!
Mike

Is that a grounded probe? You definitely want ungrounded.

Easy test, use an ohm meter between both leads and the tip. There should be infinite resistance.

1 Like

Hi Aaron, our Canadian, and on the other side of the pond group will like this. Celsius, you bet.
Bob

1 Like

Carl and Chris I did as Chris recommended and used a voltmeter to test the resistance of the probe to determine grounded or not. When I touch one meter probe to the tip and the other to the 2 terminal wires (together) it read infinite resistance which…means I have the right ones! Hurrah!

Firing up the 95 Dakota today for the first time!!!

Aaron

3 Likes

Hello Aaron

Make sure you have a good char bed before stating. I would suggest alternating your vacuum blowers and reverse blowers until you have fire coming out of the hopper .

4 Likes

I can feel the excitement. Don´t forget the camera! :grin:

4 Likes

I am very excited for my first burn! I am waiting 2 more days for the gasket material to dry in my barrel lids before firing. It’s been in the 40s here in MO and it’s not drying.

I added a display panel and used toggle switches to add 2 TC per temp display unit. Though only one is wired this way now.! 20171119_201139|281x500

I will also add 2 vac guages here (hopper and rails unless someone suggests other than these 2). I want to learn from ya’ll who have been DOW for some time now…that’s why i’m here!

5 Likes