How do you store your wood?

In a dream world I would love to have a storage container that I could insulate and make one giant kiln out of thereā€™s a couple of simple heaters and a way to get the moisture out of the container

6 Likes

We use about 24 m3/8 cords a year. I dont know how much face cord that is, it seems to vary in depth.

6 Likes

As I understand it a face cord is just the ā€˜faceā€™ of a cord, the surface area, i.e. 4feet by 8feet (about 3m2) and then you give the length of the wood.

7 Likes

I think that mother nature can help out and take that workload to kilndry firewood off of me so I can do other things instead :blush:

6 Likes

Big confusion. Originally a cord was 4x4x8 ft his would equal 128 cubic feet, or 3.62 cubic meters. Then people started trying to be deceptive when they were selling firewood so they invented face cords and stove cords. Americans love to do that.

9 Likes

What RindertW says is true.
Full cord of 128 cubic feet versus a face-cord of 1/3rd of that is also here USA very much a West versus East thing now.
It is confusing even when we talk to each other like here on the DOW.

Antlered animals comparing is the same-same. Western it is the count of one side of the animals antlers rack. Easterners here use the total point count of the animals whole rack.

So JohanM this diffnerce always does enter our talking on topic such as this one.
Want to be sure ask the poster to clarify. Far western me, Iā€™ll say a rick for one cut 18 inches by four feet high by 8 feet long of a full cord measure.

It seems to be a human nature thing. I was startles how much my Belgium near-relatives slured their other-side countrymen. You Swedes have south? middle? far-north? distinctions.
S.U.

9 Likes

Belgium is worth a special topic and it can have a lot of different content. Language, they speak three, Dutch, French and a small part German. I had to deliver something a long time ago. The man was speaking English to me German to another and the thirth one needed French. :grinning: :grinning:Very interesting conversation.

But you can talk about the chocolate, beer, diamonds, french fries/friet/patat etc etc :grinning:

9 Likes

In Sweden the cubic meter of wood you buy, is much smaller than the cubic meter you sell :crazy_face:

15 Likes

I would say that a cubic meter of firewood is a cubic meter no matter how you put it but then the distinctions is if it is stacked (as J-O does) or piled (thrown in a pile, like my wagons and storage). One piled cubic meter is about 0,6 cubic meters stacked and that is what lots of buyers argue with the sellers about. In essence it is an information problem between them.

I donā€™t think that is only americans doing that, probably all over the world one way or the other.

9 Likes

That factor is correct. And in my case even smaller. I get my wood from a client, all square, no room in between. That way you can stack a lot compared to lose stacked.

6 Likes

Yes! All true, except Gƶranā€™s statement :smile:

I find it to be the opposite. First pic is my firewood. Second pic is the firewood I sell :grin:

14 Likes

You are a rich man :grinning:. So much wood you can sell it in 1,5 m3 bags

9 Likes

Stacked wood is much nicer to look at but the boiler or fireplace donā€™t care, I am even considering to build a woodshed and stack wood in it by the house just so I can look at it, I remember my grandfather and grandmother had stacked firewood under the eaves on pretty much all of the barns as well as in the firewoodshed. It is a nice feeling to have all the firewood you need for the winter.

11 Likes

Joep, if I was really rich I would have no reason selling firewood. If I was really poor I would try find somthing more profitable to sell.
I think counting the time and effort spent filling bags for sale, I earn way below minimum wage even not counting wear and tear on equipment. I do it mostly to do away with some dead wood.

10 Likes

Plus physically it is far better than Gym-time with measurable, viewable results. An excuse to be out in the forest; communing hands-on with nature, rain or shine.
Mental health-wise far better than any paid-for counseling; bar-time; pub-time; wine-tasting-hopping around.
Some might criticize your wood-religion lacks socialization. A solo hermit activity.
Ha! You can say that is why you sell some. Social interactions you get to control and are paid-for. Wood-sweating. Wood-talking.
What a great religion, eh.
Done on-the-sly, word-of-mouth only to a selected cliental you even get to cheat the tax-man. Your little act of defiance. Your little act of Freedom delcaration.
Regards
Steve Unruh

11 Likes

Bullā€™s eye, Steve!
+getting to take a step back and watch the result of your work is a reward in it self.

10 Likes

Wood Drying Methods

@r_wesseling started this thread, perhaps you can get some ideas there :blush:

6 Likes

All he needs is a sheet of plastic and set it in the sun. So like a crate from a pallet, then wrap the sides and top in in plastic with a chimney then convection will carry the heat and water out. But you have to be careful it doesnā€™t get too hot because it will catch fire but since the bottom is open, it should have enough airflow.

I think there are couple of threads on solar kilns.

6 Likes

Yes, there are a few solar kiln threads in here. Rindertā€™s is the only one I read so far so I linked to that one plus it had a link to another solar kiln thread in it.

5 Likes

I use a 55 gallon barrel with holes in the bottom and a lid with a pipe nipple on top. But i have only done brush with it for char making. It is relatively small but stops any risk of fire and dries it quickly. Like leaves will crumble but still be green.

7 Likes