How much inlet air preheat is really necessary?

hey kevin I know your question was for dustin but I have some numbers I’m at around 6000 miles with the blanket design still looking fine.

2 Likes

Thanks Paul M on the miles, sounds pretty ruggid. Are you sticking with the tube lenth and air flow design from the original WK. Or have you guys gone imbert air dementions.

I’m still with a wk kevin I have also kept all the same dimentions the only difference I did was to overhang the top plate so the wood don’t sit on the fiber .

1 Like

Thanks Paul M.That should make the burn tube last much longer while maintaining the charbed.non cavity resevoir.

Hi Kevin, i updated my thread with some pictures and a video. all the best

http://forum.driveonwood.com/t/firebrick-gasifier-modified-wk-design-94-dakota/1924/60

1 Like

Hi dustin i ran out of preamium 6 mounth after buying the book. So the vidio & updates will have too wait. Is there any major noticeable improvements other than burn tube life and weight savings with your modified WK gasifier. I remember you saying your miles per pound may have inproved after the WK modification, are you still thinking your milege has improved much.Thanks for the up Date results.

Hi Kevin

Difficult to say about the mileage because I changed more things than just the burn tube with the new gasifier. However I’d wager there would be little difference. I know with the new unit I did improve my mileage but I improved the engine, improved the hopper, and decreased the weight significantly so I believe it is due to these different factors in combination.

8 Likes

Thanks for the info on your redesign trial gasifier, glad too see its been working out after the modification, and paul M has had good luck with a simular model.Caint wait too try some new designs on my s10 2.4 small truck.Glad too see you made it out of the city and got some wood lands,God bless & good luck with your new home.

That was one big leak my friend, i am serprized that the leak never even waisted your light burn tube.

we all need to find some of the 55 gallon stainless drums at a good price I keep watching nothing around here . I just keep adding paint knowing the end is near ::sob:

2 Likes

Hi paul M i have a idea and questian?
Have you noticed any difference in turn down ratio? 2 have you noticed any faster warm up times? 3 does the ceramic blanket glow in the dark. PS AT LEAST I THOUGHT I SEEN A WK TUBE GLOWING HOT FROM A GOOD HARD RUN? Idea if not glowing, maybe a sac.thin sleve around blanket would add turn down ratio? 5 too 15 pounds extra weight no welds.

I idol longer than I ever half to I was one of the last 3 in the idol contest last year at argos we all gave up waiting for them to quit.

both were quit quick no real difference I could tell.

[quote=“kmrland, post:131, topic:2792”]
blanket glow in the dark
[/quote]I cant say I did do some propane test and that glowed look up ceramic kiln videos they are cherry in side that was one of my insperations. after hearing about dustins.

Thanks Paul M that helps quite a bit on my WK burn tube blanket plan. I ordered 32 bucks worth from place few hundred miles north from me, thats good material to save on weight with on my s10 build. THANKS.

1 Like

Paul you must have got all your leaks fixed nice.Or and are and expert fabricator. Too idle that good, Glad you were able too make it too the meet. I hope too make it next year if my wheels are tip top ready.

1 Like

Kevin,
Plan to come. You will enjoy it, and get help making your wheels tip top! :relaxed:

Thanks Mike R i really do hope too make it too the wood gas meeting. I hardly drive very much at all, still working on getting chunker built, and rebuilding my old 85 chevy trucks.

1 Like

Bought some 8 pound per cube foot one inch thick and it sire is nice and dence, i see why it will stand up fairly well till wood rosin baked.

bought some small peices so makeing 2" thick about same price if bought 1" thick after over laping joints. North star is the last photo.

4 Likes

I would just watch handling the blanket mine came with all sorts of safety precautions (gloves-resperator-) its supposed to be some bad stuff to get on you once in place and burnt there shouldn’t be any problems.

1 Like

What Paul said , it has micro fine partials that can do damage to your respiratory system , we have come into a large amount of the Kwool here from a very large industrial oven , and by chance the people that made the oven many years ago saw it in the yard and told us all about how they installed the insulation when they built the oven , lucky for because they told me they wetted the blanket to mould it to the shape they needed , so me being me grabbed a few handfuls and soaked it in water and placed small amounts all over the outside the lid of a small bbq I have , once dry and cooked its hard and helps keep the heat inside the bbq for when I make pizza;s .
Dave

2 Likes

I allways knew insulate was bad for you lunges, Thanks for the extra warning i am going too research now for sure.