How much inlet air preheat is really necessary?

Hello Ceramic Insulation builders: What quality of ceramic blanket material are you using for your WK type heat tube? Did a little research on it and I see it comes in different heat operation values from like 1600 deg F to 3000 deg F What is the value of the blanket everyone is using? It gets quite pricey for the 3000 F material TomC

Hi tom all i have seen so far was 6# and 8# per cube foot, the denser stuff 8# is good for 26 or 2800 f and a flash temp of about 3000.Don Mans will problly be more for sure. He will hopefully respond, i bought the 8# blankets,hope its the rite density. I found the place in northern michigan the cheepest ,9 dollars and something for a 1x2 foot peice. So i planed too peice it together and over lap on second layer hooked on air tubes and sitting on flange should stay without a sleeve aid or could use ring or two too help hold in place. A toltal of 32 bucks for three peices one inch thick.

2 Likes

I have the 2 inch blanket thickness that is rated for 2300 F

2 Likes

Zirconia Ceramic Fiber Blanket Insulation 2600F 8# 1" x 24" x
on ebay for $92.00 I thought it was reasonable.

2 Likes

Here is a link…
Ceramic Blanket on EBAY
I have not purchased from them, but their rating is good.

3 Likes

Mike that is some good prices, must be holesaler. After i bought my peice work blanket i noticed that the longer or larger peice you buy the price was much better Mine will have two seams instead of one, eather way will work. I think half or one inch thick would work for existing WK gasifiers, for expermentations, and or have on hand for the road if burn tube repairs were at the sene, then could use blanket after burn tube was repaired.Thanks for posting i am bookmarking too see how long it last.

1 Like

Kevin,
I believe that link is an EBAY store that is there most of the time. I may have the stores confused, there are a few more that sell specialized refractory materials, plus others not on EBAY. (I should post those to another thread, this is getting off subject!) :slight_smile:

Sounds good too me if some one would like too seperate, probly could been put in parts list. But then we new Don Was useing ceramic tube walls, the price seem really good there. One could insulate the entire unit for around 80 bucks and save on weight once convenced from the low buck version. The lowest dallor version works fine on full sise truck, though just a little heavy for small vehile transit wood driveing with less power than dakots. All weight adds up fast when fabricating. The standard WK model is fine if weight is keep too the minimum level as posible.

2 Likes

This may be worth looking at for you ceramic wool users. Simwool Rigidizer - Silica Sol - Coating for Ceramic Fiber Blanket - 1 Gallonet-1-Gallon-/172485609789?hash=item2828f1893d:g:M0UAAOSw44BYg0sM

3 Likes

I started a new thread…
High Temperature Materials

1 Like