How to fight poverty effectively?

Reading that link about all these grand plans makes me scratch my head

And too many pictures of Putin

I need to read that over and over with some thought
I see the parts where suggestions are ask for.

I have very grave reservations about industrial scale development in the artic( like norilsk???)

It varies on a state-by-state basis. A lot of people forget the United States is really a group of small countries when you get down to the Legal System. I live in the Countryside, not affected by city laws and instead only have to abide by state laws. As long as I am not polluting the water I can farm as I wish, until I want to sell my crops.

I am very fortunate to be born into a family that owns 40 acres, 12 acres of that dedicated to growing hay for my neighbor’s cattle. We let him sow and harvest the hay for free because he’s always been generous. He’s doing all the work for himself.

It also comes down to culture. Urban and Suburban subsistence farming is on the upswing in popularity and I am happy to see this trend. I hope it continues.

English Common Law systems are very confusing when you jump into it.

5 Likes

I think more people today need to read the limits to growth and digest it filly
When it starts to give you an upset tummy your ready to think about how much trouble we are really in.

Examining poverty and looking for narrow solutions completely ignores the single biggest problem facing human civilization

That is……
Every great civilization man has created it has collapsed because we strip our lands of the ability to carry on
We think technology today more than anything else can solve our problem.

Poverty is just a minor symptom of a much greater problem
Scarcity and poverty go hand and hand
Scarcity is demand un filled
Demand and the need to supply it is what drives our society
Unquenchable demand, exponential need for growth.
This is what lead to increased my levels of poverty until we reach a tipping point and this civilization will collapse

Then your going to see a mess……

Planting 2.2 hectors of root vegetables on your datcha and converting your truck to wood will not work for 8,000,000,000 people

2 Likes

Hey Tom H.,
Correct that to 10,000 square feet.
Four houses per acre in my area is considered Urban “Large”. 12,500 square feet.
It is not. Suburban large is 18,000 square feet.

Now our Washington State Growth Management Act mandates registered urban areas to be develop as minimum 6 houses per acre. 7500 square feet.
To do this you absolutely need a central water system.
You need centralized sewer systems.
People will have people problems, so you need a Policing system.
And then at these densities’ rain/snows “storm-waters” becomes a problem from all of the roof tops, paved driveways, out buildings, etc.
So an engineered storm water system needed to be built, and maintained.
Sidewalks. Park area for the children.

So, see? Look at all of the “jobs” created for theses density needs. Look at the financing capital support needed for this intense level of density. And living in this you must buy into all of this. Here US/Canada then small wonder your neighbors are concerned with their property resales values. Want YOU to do no activities that would jeopardize their “Investments”.

Why we true Rural call our States Growth Management Acts in Washinton and Oregon the “Rack-'em. (a billiards term) Stack-'em. (shitties building up -vertically) Pack-'em. (self-explanatory) Laws.”

Now put these real needs onto 5 acres (2 hectares) and then most all can be self-managed on that size of lot.

One acre? We actually live on one legal acre. Just own two more to one side and two more on the other. Near nothing for ground concrete here. No asphalt here. Gravel driveways, and walkways absorb stormwater. Old-way living as these were plotted out in the early 1900’s and you could have a milk-cow, goats, sheep and chickens rabbits. Geeses. Ducks. A large family garden. And this was acceptable, expected then as everyone else was doing this same. All of the manures and shits going onto the garden.
The only input supplied back then was a hillside gravity fed water system. Horse cart delivery of fire wood. Or railed in coal. Later a 1200 watt small hydroelectric system gave pay-by-the month ~100-200 watts per household.

The 13 acres timber lots property we have sold off so far have 13 individual by modern standards small households on them. Only three were build with woodstove chimneys. Only two have put in vegetable gardens. What do they grow? Out buildings covers for RV’s. Lawn grass and more lawn grass. They compete on this.

Sorry to roll on about this Maret and fellows.
But put aside all of the publication guidelines on homesteading and possibilities.
The #1 factor is not water. Not the growing soils. Not the climate.
IT IS WHAT YOUR NEIGHBORS WILL ALLOW YOU TO DO.

Why we are moving on now. Far less neighbors. And those up there on 5 acres, 10 acres and 20 acres do have dogs, pigs, cows, sheep, goats and a few horses. And of course chickens.

Steve unruh

5 Likes

I have been reading on the Green Ammonia Fuel development that has been going on in different countries it seems to be scaling up in India, China, and other countries that are dependent on foreign oil. It has one more oxygen than the Hydrogen and is easy to ship and make. They say it has no green house effects so to me it is carbon neutral? The cost in making it is less then $1.00 a gallon they say with profit added on?
I think the oil lords are going to be wanting a piece of this action. You could have high end profit gains at sales of $3.00 to $4.00 a gallon. There will be No need to DOW for the 8,000,000.000 people that would not work anyways.
The Cost of food production would be less for everyone too.
Or is this Clean Green Ammonia Fuel development just another dream and has some hidden problems not talked about? It seems to good to be true. But we all have been brain washed for over a hundred years on oil energy by all the government’s on the earth. And Why, they make tax monies on very drop of oil sold, and now a added carbon taxes even more monies on it. It is in the trillions of dollars now that the government’s are making on oil alone.
I do know ammonia has corrosion problems but so does wood gases.
Run on Ammonia and Wood Gas? Oh you are now a enemy of the oil lords unless they control that gas too.
Bob

2 Likes

You might find this amusement my Bob

1 Like

That was a awesome video, it shows how the government’s are paid off by the oil lords even back then. Because ammonia is easy to make and can still be made at about $0.75 a gallon. Back then it was only pennies a gallon to make. But fuel was only $0.70 a gallon. Now with the new fuel cells that have been developed over the years the time is right.
The corruption of the monies lords that worshiping there god of monies. The fake monies god that can not give anyone real Peace, Joy or True Goodness in heart.
Thank you Wallace for the video. So it is true there are new fuels that have been heavily suppress that could have been brought to the the market 25 years ago or even at the turn of the century.
Well on the horizon now for these times of oil crisis for the counties of plant earth the oil lords will find it hard for them now. With EV vehicles and other clean carbon neutral fuels are being developed. Oil is simply not carbon neutral and that is a fact. I hope Green Ammonia Fuel will be another fuel brought to the market soon.
Exciting times we live in.
We have a Green Energy System or as we know it as DOW, but make sure it is 18% or less moisture content to burn.
Bob

3 Likes

Left a few well placed comments on that video, trying to drum up some more woodgasers :grin: did the same with the video from rebel news last week where they interviewed a different guy in Canada running on the same in his 5.4 triton V8 superduty

1 Like

There are political third rails we want to avoid.

There are some fringe people that don’t play nice in the sand box.
Rebel media tends to attract many.

1 Like

That’s right SteveU. I have one neighbor in half mile radius. He is a quarter of a mile away and if I wasn’t closing in on my 75th year I’d pack up and move up into the Porcupine Mountains in the UP and make sure my nearest neighbor wasn’t in a two mile radius if possible.

1 Like

Ammonia is merely energy storage. you have to have energy input to make the ammonia that you can later recover. Similar to a battery but it is a liquid. Given like 2% of the worlds energy is used for making of nitrogen fertilizer, I am suspect on the viability of the efficiency of the conversion, which last I knew was not very energy efficient conversion process. IIRC it requires a multi-stage compression cycles, and an iron catalyst, and I think they use natural gas…

But since you are in rural part of wisconsin and familiar with farming, ammonia is what is in the big pressure tank things with knives that go into the ground like the liquid manure applicator you were talking about a few days ago. Alomost all farmers contract that work out, because it is sub-zero temperature (-33C/-27F ) and high pressure. It isn’t worth risking injury and I believe you need a special applicators license.

It is also highly corrosive that is why when mixed at like .2% it is a cleaning solution.

Ammonia is also the best refrigerant liquid, but because it is corrosive, it eats through pipes, leaks and a spark will ignite it, and it is still used in commercial settings. It is also dangerous to breathe and does I believe lung damage. It is banned as a refrigerant for consumer use because it was causing house fires and people were dying and getting injured from it.

You can burn it, but there are some serious drawbacks to it as an energy storage. It is a non-starter in the US and first world countries especially in the consumer market.

4 Likes

In the 70s the gov of Canada nationalized a significant part of the oil industry in Canada.
Petro Fina ( now part of Tottal ) was bought at a significant cost to the tax payers.
The Gov of Canada used this crown corporation like a club to beat the hell out of the oil industry
If your old enough to remember and lived in a northern US state people used to drive to Canada to buy cheap gas and there was never a line up or shortages.
The price of fuel was regulated and oil as not allowed to be sold for more then 75%v the world price and this effectively insulated the Canadian consumer from the global market.

By 1981 the markets crashed and the national energy program had a problem it was never designed to deal with a slump in oil prices so parity came and with it the pressure to keep energy cheap or self sufficient or even Canadian owned for that matter.

In 8 years a conservative Gov would sell PetroCan to Exxon at a huge loss and the refinery capacity, jobs, and revenue would be gifted to the 7 sisters.
If they just stuck with it we could be millionaires like Norway.
Instead we import refined product and export heavy oil at steep discounts.

And no one talks about the 3 cent a gallon tax on Gas at the pump that was left to pay for the public purchase or losses from selling all off at the bottom of the market.

In my home town here Gasoline is usually 15 to 20 percent more expensive than similar cities closer to the US boarder.
Shell and Exxon are the only fuel retailers left here and they also own the refining distribution as well as the stations.

Thats Privatization and Deregulation for your.
Oligopoly

Yup it sounds like the oil lords won out in Canada too, it just took a little longer then in the USA.
Bob

1 Like

Last weeks project, this and a electric poultry netting will raise 48 chickens, meat or egg on small land mass.

It has 1x1 mesh with 2x2 roost boards self cleaning easy to move daily.

8 Likes

Each summer we raise 50 cornish cross chicken broilers. I put them in a simple 8x10 pen that has PVC hoops about 2’ tall, covered with poultry netting and a tarp over one half. This is light enough that each day I just drag this one pen length across the pasture. Fresh pasture under the bird each day, manure is left behind. I figure they get 30% of their feed from the pasture, but they get all the 18% feed they will eat. 10 weeks from hatching to butcher, they average 6-8 pounds each in the freezer. the hardest day is butchering.
kent

5 Likes

like the topic! Here in this country according to the US Census, 80% of the population lives on 3.5% of the landmass. So if you live in the countryside you are a minority.
Kent

4 Likes

Marat, sorry, l missed that part! I thod 2+2ha is for one family! Makes sence now.

Ha, then in that case l got preety darn close with the needs of my family of 5. If 2+2ha feeds 20 people then 0.5+0.5ha shuld suffice for us 5. Wich is the theoretical maximum of what l can cultivate with our land and still retain enaugh forrest for our energy needs and for pigs to forage in the fall (acorns).

7 Likes

I could overrun this thread with information. The ways to maximize production on increasingly less square footage has been my main area of study for the past ten years. Mainly you have to reconsider whatever you know about the way things have always been done. Consider how much food you could grow on your fences alone. There are so many alternatives. I’m not promoting this one above many others but it is an example of what is being done along these lines.

3 Likes

Marat, can you describe the process of harvesting branches for goat feed? I have heared this used to ba a wede practice and still is in some places, but how do you do it, wuch speecies of trees and when?

4 Likes

Big thumbs up on your chicken tractor Al. We have never been able to have chickens. Too many predators. Many have tried and failed. It would take an enclosure with a closed top. How do you use the electric poultry netting?

5 Likes