How to fight poverty effectively?

Hi guys!

I want to share with you four of my ideas. The fact is that only a month ago I found out about a Russian forum (“Strong Ideas for the New Times” https://ideas.roscongress.org/ ), where people publish their ideas on the topic: “how to improve various aspects of human life? ". I was asked to support one very important idea, which I sincerely support in my life, not only in words, but also in deeds. Naturally, I voted for this idea, and looked at what other people have their ideas on. I wanted to publish my thoughts on the topic: “How to effectively fight poverty in Russia?”. And not only in Russia, but also in Ukraine and in the USA and in Europe - wherever people live hard. I am pleased that even in such a difficult time, people in Russia are thinking about such social things. My mother is Russian and I’m sure she would be very happy to hear about my ideas on this subject. If I find a Ukrainian forum where people gather to talk about my decisions on the same issues, then I will publish my thoughts there too. And if somewhere in America or Europe will be interested in the same ideas, then I can put my today’s translation into English of my decisions on issues related to poverty. And maybe I’ll find some other solutions to this problem. Or maybe discussing with other people will help me refine my ideas.

In my head, all these 4 parts are one whole picture, but according to the rules of the Russian forum, each different idea must be framed separately. This is necessary for the subsequent peer review of each idea. The best 9 ideas, according to experts, in the future can be presented personally by their authors (with their consent to this) before the leadership of Russia. So it was at the end of the forum in 2020. The forum has 7 directions for better sorting of a huge number of different ideas. But even for free viewing of the forum you need to register. For anyone who might be interested but don’t want to take the time to sign up, I’ve copied these threads from the site.

The main topics in the direction of “National Social Initiative”:

• How to increase people’s satisfaction with medicine, education, social support, regardless of where they live?
  • How to fight poverty effectively in Russia?
  • How to reduce mortality from chronic diseases (non-communicable, cardiovascular, etc.)?
  • How to involve people in maintaining a healthy lifestyle?
  • How to ensure an accessible environment in the non-state sector?
  • How to attract investments in the social sphere?
  • How to create a safe and trusting environment in school for everyone?

The main topics in the direction of “National Technology Initiative”:

• Health technologies. How not to get sick and not waste time in clinics and hospitals?
  • How to provide people with affordable, tasty and healthy nutrition, taking into account health indications?
  • How to ensure the mobility of citizens with environmentally friendly transport?
  • How to unite science and entrepreneurs?
  • How can Russian projects and practices be promoted and appreciationed at the global level?

The main topics in the direction of “National Personnel Initiative”:

• How to help parents and a child in career guidance and additional education?

• How to be in demand in the labor market and earn more in different life situations?

• What kind of support does a person need to find a job, develop a career and own a business?

• How to create a favorable environment for youth in the regions and reduce youth unemployment?

• Economic opportunities and self-realization:

• Jobs for youth
    • Income level
  • Education and competencies:

• General education
    • Vocational education
    • On-the-job training
  • Housing and urban environment:

• Housing affordability
    • Quality of the urban environment
    • Ecological environment

The main topics in the direction of “National Environmental Initiative”:

• How can the state, business and population prepare for weather disasters and adapt to new climatic conditions?
  • How to make data on the environmental situation in the region open and accessible to residents?
  • What environmental technologies should be introduced to combat environmental pollution?
  • What solutions are needed for the sustainable development of the “green economy”?
  • How to involve the country’s population in the environmental agenda and grow “green staff”?
  • What should modern urban green spaces look like?

The main topics in the direction “Development of regions”:

• What interregional projects can become new points of growth?
  • What conditions need to be created for the development of regions, cities, villages?
  • How, by strengthening good neighborliness, to influence the development of one’s street?
  • How to use the wealth of the Arctic for breakthrough development of the country?

The main topics in the direction of “Entrepreneurship”:

• What solutions will increase investment activity in the regions?
  • What solutions will help non-commodity businesses become the flagship of economic development?
  • How to create conditions for the implementation in organizations of a responsible attitude towards employees, customers, partners and society as a whole?
  • How to ease the first steps in business, reduce barriers and make start-up capital available to a young entrepreneur?

Topic in the direction “Open conversation”:

• Ideas for the future: what are your suggestions for the development of the country?

For all my ideas, I chose the section “National Social Initiative”, the topic “How to effectively fight poverty in Russia?”. Despite the fact that some of them can also be attributed to the sections “National Technological Initiative” and “National Ecological Initiative”, placing the same idea in different sections is not allowed by the rules of the Russian forum. I did this on the basis that first a person must stop being poor so that his thoughts are free to make decisions in other areas of human life.

6 Likes

Idea title:

Light animal husbandry by the forces of the 1st UAZ.

Forum link:

Idea theme:

How to fight poverty effectively in Russia?

Relevance of the idea card:

The idea is ready for examination and comments.

Description of the idea:

When planning to move to their own land, some people consider animal husbandry as a starting or even main source of family income. Without the use of hired labor, the herd size for one family can be chosen from 5 to 10 dairy cows (up to 25 heads of the total herd) or 50 dairy goats (up to 150 heads). But caring for so many animals is often an unbearable burden for one family, especially those consisting of people with little physical ability (women, old people, teenagers, disabled people).

Here are some of the basic and regular activities of a livestock breeder:

1. Preparation of roughage. (Mowing grass, cutting branches.)

2. Distribution of feed to adult animals during the stall period.

3. Cleaning manure in rooms and areas where animals are kept.

4. Grazing animals in the summer.

5. Watering animals when grazing on a leash.

6. Milking a dairy herd.

7. Feeding young animals, when kept separately from their mothers.

The idea is to keep animals without a leash within a portable fence (or a switchable electric shepherd) year-round, and all the necessary sheds, feeders, drinkers, a milking room should be easy to move with the help of an full-wheel off-road vehicle’s UAZ in the area that requires manure for further farming.

Also, with the help of the same UAZ, with additional abilities (details about the modifications of the UAZ in the idea of ​​"Prosperity in the family" https://ideas.roscongress.org/improject-16467/ideas/26008), it is planned to harvest hay, as well as twig feed (for goats): hay is mowed, dried, collected in a swath, with the help of a logging complex, the branches are mechanically cut along the forest belts, as well as during the care of fruit trees, and the conveyor is first placed in the back of a car, and then unloaded in the form of a strip from above on previously dried hay. After drying, the leaves are rolled into rolls. This will allow you to easily store roughage for the whole year, and thereby eliminate the grazing of animals. Which will additionally affect the stability of milk parameters. What is important, for example, in cheese making. Also, this method allows you to engage in animal husbandry where free pastures are not available.

Reloading finished bales from the body to the hay storage is most easily done using a controlled beam crane at the top of this storage. And then, as necessary, deliver with the help of the same UAZ to animal feeders.

Young animals can be fed either at the Young Animal Watering Station or in the dairy herd.

One of the most routine operations in keeping dairy animals is milking. But if a milker robot assembled from a machine-building kit (the idea of ​​Machine-building kits) is put into operation in separate stages, then even such high-tech equipment can be afforded without attracting loans and the associated risks. For example, a mobile building is purchased first. Then milking equipment. This will immediately allow you to use the equipment and at the same time not waste energy on cleaning manure in front of a stationary milking parlor. Next, you can assemble and place a milk cooler, udder care equipment, including a tank for clean water, a water heater, a pumping station, a tank for collecting waste water. It is also possible to put into operation automatic doors and a feeder based on an RFID system so that the animals can get used to this way of milking. And as you get a living income, it will be easy to complete all this with a machine vision system with a 3-axis manipulator, which, in fact, is a robot milker. Or you can stop at any of the appropriate stages, greatly facilitating the milking process. More details in the idea of “​​Machine-building kits” https://ideas.roscongress.org/improject-16467/ideas/31885. For goats and sheep, such milking robots still do not exist in the world. But you can also add two-way video communication to the milking robot so that children in cities and animals in villages do not run wild without communicating with each other! In France, for example, there is a law that obliges a person to appear on automatic farms.

Description of the problem situation:

Daily heavy physical labor and dirt, especially in rainy weather, accompanying ordinary animal husbandry, completely scaring away young people from this kind of occupation on their land.

Costs and resources:

• one UAZ 3303 “Tadpole”

• kit for hydrofication UAZ

• single-beam mower KSF-2.1 fingerless

• rake-tedders, for example, GVV-6, or something simpler

• round baler PPR 0850, or better equivalent

• complex for harvesting branches (installed instead of the UAZ body)

• roll’s loader in UAZ body

• mobile open canopy for animals

• mobile animal feeder

• mobile drinker for animals

• mobile milking parlor or mobile milking robot

• mobile station for feeding young animals (if necessary)

Predicted effects, vision of the result of the implementation of the idea:

Stable family income even in difficult times, with the possibility of further expansion of income through agriculture (for more details, see the idea of ​​"Prosperity in the house").

Leader / Team Information:

Lysenko Marat Aleksandrovich, an electronics engineer living in his RP. Today, our family herd of goats has 20 heads.

The target audience:

People with little physical ability (old people, teenagers, single mothers, disabled people) who consider animal husbandry as a source of income on their land, without the use of hired labor.

Are you ready to personally present the idea at the face-to-face Forum 2022?:

Yes.

Do you have experience in implementing the idea (solution prototype)?:

Yes.

If you have experience in implementing the idea, describe the measurable effects and benefits of applying the idea:

The prototype of this idea can be considered the experience of the Russian farmer Alexander Sayapin, who maintains a large herd of cows without a leash, uses several milking robots, but the size of his herd does not allow doing without hired labor. Yes, and financial investments are unbearable to start with the forces of an ordinary family. The rest of the idea works.

Files (idea materials):

Cover idea:

What kind of support does your idea need?:

Spread the idea among those who might benefit from it.

2 Likes

Idea title:

Prosperity of the family at any time: improved Ovsinsky + 2 modified UAZs.

Forum link:

Idea theme:

Description of the idea:

The most sought-after commodity is clean food at an affordable price. And this is at all times: when it’s easy, people want to eat clean food. When it’s hard (global crisis, epidemic, war) - people especially want to eat food.

The minimum size of a plot for the self-sufficiency of a family with everything necessary can be taken as 2 hectares of sown area + 2 hectares of hayfields for obtaining livestock products.

The maximum size of the plot cultivated by the forces of one family, without hired labor, according to the technology under consideration, is 20 hectares of sown + 20 hectares of hayfields .

Food production in such sizes areas is either labor intensive or requires:

a) very expensive (for the budget of an ordinary family) and a variety of agricultural machinery (tractor, attachments to it, combine, truck),

b) high costs of chemical fertilizers,

c) expenses for chemical plant protection products,

d) expensive fuel,

e) expensive and various spare parts for agricultural machinery etc.

Which together makes food production not only very hazardous to health, but also risky for the financial well-being of the family.

If you look for a solution that simultaneously reduces all types of listed costs, then it is quite easy to find the practical experience of Ivan Ovsinsky, described in detail by him back in 1899 in his book “The New Farming System”. The main condition for obtaining a crop, both in dry and rainy years, according to his practical experience as an agronomist in the Poltava province, is shallow (only 5 cm), but regular tillage. This preserves the structure of the soil, its normal gas exchange and related processes of increasing fertility. It is also worth noting multi-field crop rotation, as one of several types of protection against pests, and the application of manure as a fertilizer.

Here is an example set of crops grown:

1. corn

2. wheat

3. barley

4. sunflower

5. oats

6. buckwheat

7. peas

8. Two plots for growing various vegetables (beets, potatoes or turnips, cabbage, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.)

For no-till processing in the world, automobile seeding complexes based on three-axle off-road trucks are already used, but for the size of the area under consideration, for the forces of one family, these are too large machines. In addition, modern farming experience in the use of large tractors, combines and machines shows that the level of employment of people in the village is too low. And as a result, their income is very low, sometimes insufficient to buy the very food that is grown today with the help of this large and expensive equipment. And the large farms themselves are less and less protected from sudden changes in the weather.

Motoblocks and mini tractors are not suitable for a family for a variety of reasons: mini-resource, mini-comfort (in fact, this is a gearbox on wheels), and mini-harvesters for such volumes are still not on the market. And what is the point of growing a crop if there is nothing to harvest it with? We need light, reliable, maintainable, mobile and multi-tasking equipment. It is also desirable that even teenagers and people with disabilities can cope with it. Then everyone can be the breadwinner in the family! And the best candidate for this position is a frame SUV UAZ, with the popular nickname “Tadpole”.

For the successful completion of all types of work, energy must come from its engine for agricultural implements with a maximum working width of 2-2.5 m. This energy is more convenient to receive in hydraulic form.

In order for the serial “Tadpole” to also become the “Breadwinner”, you need to install on it:

1. NSh-50 hydraulic pump for supplying energy to external equipment.

2. 6-section hydraulic valve behind the cab with convenient joysticks in the cab on cables - to control the entire range of additional equipment.

3. Easily removable front and rear hydroficated hitches, with standard SA-1 triangular automatic couplers - for quick replacement of attachments.

4. Hydraulic motor with gearbox, as a very flexible power take-off shaft. In the future, this will be very useful for solving a very wide range of tasks with the help of such an UAZ.

5. Removable tipper body. Then on the road, during harvesting, the UAZ is a passenger dump truck, and upon arrival at the place it is a powerful and diverse tool, and even a harvester.

6. Propane or gasoline as temporary fuel. If the family needs an even more economical and cleaner type of fuel, then you can switch to wood using a gas generator modified to a modern level. Only 2.5 kg of wood, since the use of this technology by the grandfathers, replaces 1 liter of gasoline. This solution is discussed in detail in the idea “Affordable fuel that cleans the planet” (https://ideas.roscongress.org/improject-16467/ideas/32009).

A family in which at least 2 people can drive a car, owning 2 such UAZs, with the necessary set of attachments, of maximum quality at their minimum cost (how this is possible is described in the Idea “Machine-building Kits” https://ideas.roscongress .org/improject-16467/ideas/31885), can grow and harvest 100 tons of grain and vegetable crops per year on 20 hectares. And thanks to 20 hectares of hayfield, the same family, in parallel, can receive 30 tons of goat milk per year, and up to 2 tons of goat meat per year, and the amount of manure necessary to improve soil fertility. Why exactly goat, and how to combine crop production with animal husbandry, by the efforts of only one family, can be found in the idea of ​​"Light animal husbandry" (https://ideas.roscongress.org/improject-16467/ideas/27488).

This volume of products is quite enough for year-round supply of 10 to 20 urban families (and for some types of products, even more). In addition, garden and other types of trees can be arranged in rows on the same plots to obtain fruits, nuts, own fuel, as well as wind protection for plants. After all, 1 hectare of forest gives an annual increase in wood up to 10 tons (jungle up to 30 tons per year).

Prices for these products, as well as their range, may differ, but if UAZ is able to bring the family at least half of its value per year, then its purchase becomes a very profitable investment, no matter how much it costs in dealership, because with attentive owners, UAZs serve for several decades. In addition, the farmer, unlike the traveler, values ​​stability most of all. And if spare parts for UAZ will not change for another 60 years, then this is very good for such a family! On the basis of another brand of car, such a configuration is much more expensive to create. Although in each country you can find your own suitable folk car of this class.

The mounted mini-harvester, which is necessary for harvesting, installed instead of a dump truck body, can be made on the basis of an adjustable trier drum (it simultaneously replaces both the straw walker and the sieve, which are in a conventional combine), and is a very simple device - 2 dozen bearings, and several hydraulic motors. And since it has neither its own chassis nor its own engine, it will not be a burden on the family budget in anticipation of its working hour. And with such a mini-harvester, UAZ can rightfully be called a full-fledged Breadwinner.

The heaviest primary tillage operations are best done with an active rototiller, which requires a lower speed in low gear. Or even in two passes, with particularly heavy soils. As protection against serious breakdowns and a significant extension of the service life of UAZs, you can consider some of the solutions from the idea “Affordable fuel that cleans the planet” (https://ideas.roscongress.org/improject-16467/ideas/32009).

Other applications of such UAZs for generating income and additional benefits are described in the idea “Machine-building Kits” (https://ideas.roscongress.org/improject-16467/ideas/31885).

Hard physical labor or/and exorbitant initial investment, as well as increased risks when growing plants by one family using modern chemical methods.

Costs and resources:

• 2 modified SUVs UAZ 3303 “Tadpole”

• a set of agricultural implements 2m wide (cultivators, seeders, etc.)

• grain and vegetable harvesting superstructures for UAZ

• equipment for harvesting roughage for animals

A stable family income even in difficult times.

Lysenko Marat Aleksandrovich, an electronics engineer living in his RP.

The target audience:

People with little physical ability (families of the elderly, single mothers with teenage children, families with disabilities who are able to drive a UAZ) who consider agriculture as a source of income on their land, without the use of hired labor.

Yes.

Yes

If you have experience in implementing the idea, describe the measurable effects and benefits of applying the idea:

The yield of grain crops, achieved by I.E. Ovsinsky, approximately corresponds to the modern yield, but at a much lower cost.

The ability of UAZ to work successfully off-road has been proven by more than 60 years of its use.

It is necessary to confirm in practice the possibility of replacing 2 horses used by Ovsinsky with 75-112 hp. UAZ. And also to determine the optimal values ​​when combining animal husbandry, crop production and horticulture.

Files (idea materials):

Cover idea:

1 Like

Idea title:

Mechanical engineering kits: maximum quality at minimum price.

Forum link:

Idea theme:

Description of the idea:

To start your family business, you almost always need equipment, but often there is not enough money to buy it. At the same time, loans may be unavailable or highly undesirable. The idea is to make sets of parts on CNC machines, and the buyer will independently assemble the finished product from them according to the video tutorials attached to the set of parts. Or the buyer of the kit can have it assembled by a craftsman they trust.

Moreover, such machine-building kits can also contain electronic components, thanks to which the mechanical part can be greatly simplified, thereby making the device simpler, even cheaper and more reliable. After all, loading a finished program into a modern microcontroller, for example, Arduino, is as easy as copying your favorite music to your phone via a USB cable. Today even great-grandmothers can do this. You can start such a business by assembling your own CNC plasma cutter for cutting sheet metal, and later supplementing it with a 4th rotating axis, it can be used for automatic cutting of various metal profiles. Turning, milling and other necessary work, at first, can be ordered on the side from local craftsmen with a good reputation and appropriate machines. Or to carry out such work on a CNC machining center, if finances allow its acquisition.

An added benefit of this idea is the ability to buy and assemble complex machine building kits piece by piece. For example, a mobile milking robot for goats and sheep (from the idea “Easy animal husbandry” link) can be purchased, assembled and immediately started using its parts:

• mobile van with milking equipment;

• milk cooler;

• udder care equipment;

• self-cleaning system;

• automatic doors and a feeder based on a radio tag system;

• a machine vision system with a 3-axis manipulator, which in essence is a robot milker, often in the mind of the buyer.

Here is just a sample list of equipment that can be made in the form of machine building kits:

• a set for converting a UAZ vehicle into a hydraulically operated universal dump truck

For harvesting roughage:

• grass mower for UAZ vehicles

• hay rake

• baler

• logging (for goats) complex instead of a body for UAZ vehicles

For own energy supply:

• wood shredder with a wood splitter and a conveyor for feeding firewood into the body

• a modern gas generator for using firewood as a motor fuel (from the idea “Affordable fuel that cleans the planet” https://ideas.roscongress.org/improject-16467/ideas/32009)

• 30kW mini-CHP to produce heat and electricity from firewood

Livestock technology:

• calf watering station

• mechanized storage for hay

• robot milker

• movable canopy

• mobile drinker

• mobile feeder

For agriculture:

• rototiller

• seeders

• cultivators

- combine harvester-superstructure instead of a body for UAZ vehicles

- vegetable harvester-superstructure instead of a body for UAZ vehicles

Road and other equipment:

• snow plow

• cleaning brush

• rotary auger mounted snow blower

• garden hydraulic drill for UAZ (installation of poles, pits for planting trees, drilling stumps)

• mini-drilling rig for drilling wells for water and for heat pumps

• pneumatic spray superstructure for independent patching of roads in the presence of construction and plastic debris.

A difficult situation when you need equipment, but there is not enough money. Or you need non-standard equipment.

Costs and resources:

• CNC plasma cutter with a working field of 3m * 1.5m and a 4th rotary axis

• PC with a set of necessary programs for the preparation of drawings and CNC programs

• a room the size of a standard garage

For the manufacturer: a stable family income, incl. in urban conditions, without the use of hired labor.

For buyers: affordable business equipment that cannot be purchased assembled.

The target audience:

People who like mechanical engineering as a stable source of family income, but for whom wage labor is unacceptable for some reason.

Yes.

Yes

Numerous homemade with videos on Youtube.

A series of parts for self-assembly of various radio-controlled models.

Files (idea materials):

Cover idea:

2 Likes

Idea title:

Affordable fuel that cleans the planet.

Forum link:

Idea theme:

Description of the idea:

Sometimes you need a stable source of energy, but due to circumstances (economic, environmental, ethical), it is unacceptable to use fossil fuels for heating a house, generating electricity, fueling a car.

In such a situation, the forest can help out as a source of energy. After all, foliage is the most affordable and most natural converter of solar energy, and wood is the most affordable and most environmentally friendly accumulator of this energy. 1 hectare of forest gives an increase in wood up to 10 tons per year (1 ha of jungle - up to 30 tons per year). At the same time, 2.5 kg of wood replaces 1 liter of gasoline. And if you use a modified UAZ to harvest your fuel (from the idea “Family prosperity at any time” https://ideas.roscongress.org/improject-16467/ideas/26008) and a branch chopper with a wood splitter and a conveyor for feeding them into the body (from the idea “Mechanical engineering kits” https://ideas.roscongress.org/improject-16467/ideas/31885), then any family, even those with little physical ability, will be able to provide themselves with energy.

But for this it is necessary to save the wood gas generator (WGG), in its modern form, from its inherent shortcomings:

• Extremely low resource of the gasification chamber. 25 thousand

• Significant loss of ICE power on wood gas.

• Inaccurate loading of fuel and the need for its periodic shaking.

• Manual and troublesome launch of WGG.

• The appearance of resin in the gas at partial loads WGG.

• Oversized filters and gas coolers.

• Heterogeneity of gas composition in transient regimes.

I propose to equip the WGG with an inverted type:

1. Adjustable screw feeding of wood pieces. This will make the WGG horizontal and compact.

2. Air-cooled grate and the entire gasification chamber to raise the intensity of fuel combustion to a higher level without reducing its resource. Thus, to make the WGG more compact and more stable in operation.

3. Two electrostatic filters. With clogging control, and pollution relief valves during operation. To eliminate the condensation of contaminants on the insulators, automatically maintain the gas temperature above the dew point.

4. Pressurize the entire WGG system with an electric controlled turbine. To compensate for resistance, and eliminate the loss of liter engine power.

5. Compressor for extracting gas into a small cylinder, for subsequent automatic ignition using a permanent nozzle in front of the tuyere belt. And also to compensate for the composition of the gas in transient conditions.

6. If you put a valve from the gas line in front of the mixer, which will direct the gas directly into the exhaust tract, and put a piezo ignition at the outlet of the exhaust, then the start of the WGG can be made automatic. By the button on the alarm, or by time.

7. With the compact dimensions of the WGG, the monorator cannot be made. Therefore, it is worth making an ejector with a moisture cooler-condenser. Or make an external monorator - a separate external radiator for gas cooling and moisture condensation + an air pump with the release of dried gas back into the bunker.

8. If gas sampling is done at the most tender point of the gasification chamber, then you can get rid of the ash pan and the need to clean it - all the ash will settle either in the cyclone or in the electrostatic precipitator.

Unavailability or undesirability of the use of fossil fuels.

Costs and resources:

• gas generator of modern type

• car UAZ 3303 dump truck with hydraulic system

• wood shredder with a wood splitter and a conveyor, for harvesting firewood with the help of UAZ

• heat and power mini-plant for 30kW

Self-sustaining all types of fuel for the family with one time-tested solution.

The target audience:

People who need a stable source of energy, but for whom, due to circumstances (economic, environmental, ethical), the use of fossil fuels for energy (mechanical, thermal, electrical) is unacceptable.

Yes.

Yes

Enormous experience in using wood as a motor fuel during and after the Second World War. With many surviving publications of this experience. But modern automatic gas generators are stationary and, as a rule, for high capacities.

Files (idea materials):

Cover idea:

-

2 Likes

This is usable in real life. I have rebuilt a Esab router to UCCNC (Hungary) and Neuron THC (Russia) and some software somewhere from Siberia. Works super at a fraction of the costs. It can compete with €100.000 systems and costs less then 10%. Source is a Hypertherm 45A, more then enough for me.

1 Like

My bible used to be : The good Life, from Helen and Scott Nearing.

Very inspiring.

And for the rest this is to global for me. Dutch John said it once, you live in two worlds and to tied up to the current financial system. It took me some time to realise he was right. From then on, I try to run my business as well as I can and get as much independence as possible. That means back to my real world, meaning my family.

Energy is almost there.

Vegetable garden needs some extra attention. Specially after the latest news, plastic is found in the meatballs in the soup from supermarkets. Garden has no/little financial reward over here (supermarkets are dirthcheap) but means a lot for independence and health.

2 Likes

DOW is the place to be!

3 Likes

Information overload Marat. The thing about Russia and eastern Europe is that the people already got a big taste of reality when the Soviet Union collapsed and many were thrown back on their own devises. In the end, that was a good thing because they proved that they were capable of adapting fairly quickly to a new paradigm. We are on the verge of such a collapse in the US as well. People here will not fair as well. They have no experience in providing for their own needs.

1 Like

Most people have no interest. That is the most important fact that I stepped away from global discussions. If you cant rule/ organize your own world, why should you tell somebody else what to do?

Very happy here on DOW. A lot of DO ers instead of talking. I hope some day I can DO too.

3 Likes

Reading this is especially painful to me.
It would be even more so for my wife.
We are the 3rd generation of once small family farmers who were Top-Down regulations forced one set of regulations at a time, every 10 years to quit income, family supporting small property farming.
When I’d advised friend Joni that his inner demons were warping him: it was from our own generational perspectives my wife and I live with. It has been very difficult to turn away from generations of family-farming lifestyles made illegal and uneconomical.
I’m not a Christian so I have no need to forgive this cultural theft, and raping of our families.
Sanity requires to turn away from the once-was, traditional, family-enriching; and forget.

This: here in the USofA of forcing family farmers out of producing cannot be equipment’s and advanced techniques solved.
It is a social/culture problem.
It is a markets controlling Top-Down economies controlling, problem.

When the small family farm milks you would produce must by law be certified pasteurized then the economics of it falls upside down. When using reusable glass milk bottles has so many added state Inspectors steps versus using one-time-use plastics jugs then you will know the “game” has been made by the Big-Fish to eat up all of the little fish producers.
Chickens, ducks, turkeys eggs making; and then selling those eggs for income? The same put you upside down here. You must register your birds. Be inspected. You Must Use new containers each time. (Here re-using, and sanitizing durable plastic eggs containers is made illegal) You must give a proper refrigerated storage instructions and proper cooking instructions labels with each and every sold unit. Every time. AND pay a special 50 cents tax for every egg unit sold to the “public”. And now added regulation for Liability Bonding Insurance to “protect the public”. This drives up the cost by $1.50 a dozen eggs sold.

The same for meats production. Then sold. Even down to the selling of the live animals. Rules and restrictions driving up the costs.
Firewood sold to the public here IF done State registered legally carries a $'s, % added burden. To protect the public? No. To kill it’s income benefit.
Cut boards here Washington State to be used in occupied residences must be kiln cured and have Inspectors stamps on them.
“They” want us to burn no wood now. We are socially declared as planet killing polluters.
We are declared, “Trees-Killers”.
And all of the advanced clean-burning stoves technology in the last 40 years has only bought time until made illegal.

So all small lands make an income activities have been squeezed down to vegetables and “artworks” making, selling to earn the money to pay for necessities like FUELS. And to pay the Tax-Man.

JoepK, my favorites in order originally read and their influences on me have been:
“Five Acres and Independence” 1940’s

The original Stalking The Wild xxxxxxx series books by Euell Gibons. 1970’s His last two books centered around his then adult children shows his were more about freeing your self form economic slavery than finding wild found gleaming.

And then Virginian’s, Joel Salatin’s series of “Family Friendly Farming” books. The 2000’s.
Pastured chickens raised ands sold for meats and eggs. Hogs imtergted in for meats sold.
Pastured cows integrated in pastures reclamation and for meats sold. All very cheerful.
Cheerful until the last one, “Everything I Want to Do Has Been Made Illegal”

So . . . . we still do many of these things here Rural, near-Urban USofA.
Illegally, black market.
And we chant, “Better to beg for Forgiveness than to ever ask for Permission”.

Yes the DOW is the part of it to free from the FUELS slavery.

Steve Unruh

8 Likes

I think I have a simular book, the Market gardeneer. They talk about a few acres, but I dont think it was in 1940. Thanks, I will follow this one.

My eco period is over :sleepy:, but one chapter from Salatin stayed. About poison. No mather what, I will never use that. His chicken tractors are super, but it doesnt fit in my life.

2 Likes

My ex-sister-in-law gave me a copy of John Seymour’s book Guide to self-sufficiency back in the mid-70s. A great inspiration that I still refer to this time of year getting the garden ready.
Kent

4 Likes

Are there any Amish or people with a like philosophy in Russia or your area Marat? I hears a lot of nay sayers who are adamant that people cannot support themselves with garden grown food or minimal equipment and yet there are communities of Amish and Mennonite across this country who have for years. They do not think in terms of hourly wage normally but now many have had to take employment in factories to supplement their living expenses since they get no special consideration for things like property taxes despite the fact that they place no demands on governmental agencies like Police or school systems. To fight poverty effectively you have to strip governmental authority to the bone. You have to leave people the freedom to live on their own terms. You have to develop wholistic educational systems where children are taught all the elements of self sufficiency. Very few kids will ever use calculus but they will all need to know how to grow a meal or take care of a piece of land. People need to somehow figure out that they are just serfs serving ascending levels of various Lords and then they have to turn their backs on the whole mess. Anyone who, in these times, cannot see that everything possible is being done to consolidate power in the hands of a small group of economic despots is blind. The whole food system collapse that is going on in the world right this second is a designed plan. Control the food, control the people. You will see the whole well thought out plan come to fruition in the coming months. Get what you can while you can.

4 Likes

Marat, can you describe how you calculated that a minimum of 2+2ha of land is minimum for a family? What does this include? All the food?

While we wait for Marat to answer your question Kristijan I’ll mention that the average suburban homeowner in American has a house on a quarter acre site or less. Quarter acre would be 100 ft square. Even on a site that small it would still be able to produce a lot of food if grown intensively. Not allowed in many locations. You have to have a grass lawn and it’s good if you cover it with chemical fertilizers.

1 Like

It doesn’t even have to be from the government. If you’re a poor sap that moved into an Home Owners Association neighborhood they will fine you into oblivion and bully you if you dare to take a little longer to cut your grass, or plant an unapproved tree, or decide to start a Victory Garden in your back yard covered by a privacy fence.

2 Likes

Yes thats why l asked. I started up Google Earth today and calculated the amount of land we currently cultivate, came trugh at about 0.26ha or a good half acre. About half of that is grain. And we will be cuting hay on maybee a hectare. Yet l belive we can produce enaugh food on this land for our family of 5, and l can add a nother half acre for grain to be self sufficiant on feed grains, read meat and eggs. But that feald needs buldosing first.

8 Likes

Joep, I understand you very well, you can’t do more than work and you are more successful in some works and less in others, so since prehistoric times people have been uniting into tribes, groups where they have divided their work. If you are a blacksmith, you have supported your family with blacksmithing, and if you are a carpenter, if you are an engineer of a certain profession, you will do the most as an engineer. But it is good to have your own field for food production and a forest for firewood. Example; for example, one slightly larger car service costs 500 euros, of which 150 euros is 350 euros, and the material is 350 euros, and if you do it yourself, you can easily buy milk for that year.

3 Likes

Kristijan, 2 hectares of land for growing cereals and vegetables, with an average yield of 5 tons per 1 ha = 10 tons of food per year. In fact, the yield of vegetables is usually higher, and the yield of, for example, buckwheat, is less. I approximately took something average, or even slightly below average. This should be enough to supply 5 families of 4 people each. The money from the sale of the harvest to four families should be enough to pay for what does not grow on earth: communications, spare parts for equipment, shoes, clothes, possibly electricity. No luxury.
2 hectares of hayfield should be enough for the year-round maintenance of five dairy goats and one breeding male goat. This is enough for one family not to forget the taste of milk and meat. Without selling to the side.

This level of income will allow the family to decide in the future development:

1. You can hire with your equipment to cultivate the land with neighbors (for example, it can be parents), using the same farming technology.
  2. You can expand your land, for example, up to 20+20 hectares - incomes will increase, but at the same time there will be enough time for reading DOW or other good places for communication and development. With a larger plot, there is a risk of becoming a slave to your own land and equipment.
  3. You can stay on 2+2 hectares, and come up with something highly intelligent and high-tech as an additional income. For example, domestic, small, inconspicuous (and not at all interesting for the authorities!) Mechanical engineering. Or electronics design. Or both together. I like this option.

P.S. According to some reports here, I understood that in America, even having own land, a person is not free to dispose of it at his own discretion … It’s sad. What then is American freedom? For me, freedom, like the Motherland, is not some kind of abstraction, but very real things that can be seen, heard, smelled, tasted, touched, and which can be inherited by children and grandchildren so that they too can to care about them.
There is a war going on in my country, but I myself am free to choose what to plant on my land, and to whom and for how much to sell the grown crop. In a blessed and peaceful America, or Europe, isn’t it??? Yes, I can’t count on state help, but they don’t get into my life either. At least not until I look very rich, from their point of view. At the level of an earthworm … :wink:

6 Likes