How to fight poverty effectively?

There is a saying here, that if one wishes to learn how to swear, one needs to buy a goat. They are the definition of a menace. But they do give a lot back.

3 Likes

I think I’m about as stubborn as them, not sure who would win if I was to butt heads with one!

1 Like

You and me both my friend, but l bow my head to those spawns of satan :smile:

4 Likes

Here. I will correct my spelling to “Banty” chickens. As from Bantam chickens.
And an appropriate info link:

S.U.

3 Likes

That was interesting. I would like some egg layers but it has never been worth my trouble to try and keep them from predators. We have every sort here, with the swamp at the back of my property. Fox, coyotes, bob cats, badgers being the main ones occasional bald eagle and many hawks. I will explore the quail and bantam chickens since I can build a complete enclosure outside the greenhouse and since the are not opposed to being caged, can be moved into the greenhouse in the winter. Kind of excited about this. A meat source doesn’t matter. I haven’t eaten any in over thirty years.

3 Likes

Yes all true on this article about the banty’s.
One thing have enough of them free ranging and the four legged preadtor are not a problem. They will alarms and fly high up into trees.
Do get picked off by hawks and owls though. Why shotguns are the all-around best go-to.
Been twice I’ve has 2-3 shot down hawks and their kills bagged and tagged frozen in the food freezer in case a neighbor sicc’s the Police on me.
State law we are still allowed to protect “livestock” from predatation. Hawks, yes. Coyotes yes, Racoons, yes. Eagles no. Then it’s bye-bye chicken. Still they will get a don’t-come-back BOOM-BOOMing send off from me.

The benefit of free ranging even with the losses is virtually no more ground bugs!
Couple of 3-4 free ranging Guinea Fowl are your tick solvers TomH.
Great guardian noise makers alarm-ers too. Very territorial possessive.
Steve Unruh

5 Likes

Yes. I’m going to build some infrastructure and pull the trigger on this. Most of the tick issues we have had are from me and the mutt doing our two mile morning saunter through the landscape.

3 Likes

Take over a coup pretty fast.
Quite tastey as well…

Fun birds to watch always up to something.

4 Likes

guineas get lost -easily- They wander 10ft and they are lost. However, if you are getting that many ticks, I would probably just release a flock of them and claim they are wild. or a different neighbors. lol

3 Likes

Thank you for all the great information. I am going to look through it. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

A hell of a machine that does not allow me to calmly deal with gasification … :wink:

This is a hay mower with a width of 2.5m. As long as it runs on electricity. Later I will convert it to work from a hydraulic motor.

From 12 seconds you can see the finished turbine with hoses under the blue bucket for the wood gas generator.

As soon as I test the mower, I will immediately move on to testing the turbine.

4 Likes

8,000,000,000 people cannot grow food for sale using this method. For the simple reason that then there will be no one to sell it to justify the cost of the necessary equipment. And if the entire population of the planet wants to grow their own food for themselves, then there are other ways to do this.

We can assume that only a part of modern people will want to deal with their land. What part: 5% or 10% of all living? Let’s say 5%, i.e. one family feeds 20 urban families. 10,000,000,000 people is 2,500,000,000 families with 4 people in each family so that the population is stable. 5% - that’s only 125,000,000 families will be engaged in the cultivation of clean food, and will never be poor. The question is not only to feed urban people with clean food, but also to more evenly distribute the income from the sale of this food, in contrast to large agricultural firms, which inevitably use chemicals in the fields, and the flow of money flowing into the hands of only a few.

And Ovsinsky’s methodology is not suitable for large firms - too many hired people are needed to work on foreign land, and this is not interesting to most people today. And it is not profitable for large agricultural firms.

4 Likes

There is another way to look and say that same thing.
what is the value of labour, the value of the food and cost of it ( cost is not value )

How does a person in a less developed country make a living farming if he cannot compete?
The ability for our current systems to feed cloth and house humanity have reached at point where we can come up with all kinds of ways to do it and its all easily within reach. Its not cost effective to pay a man a living wage as farmer.

In fact I will go further and say there are labour shortages everyplace but no one can live off these jobs.

3 Likes