Iller forwarder

No, I’m rarely above 2000rpm, and I’m loading and unloading at about 1500-1700rpm for longer periods of time.
I’ve tested at idle about 800-1000rpm, for 30-40 minutes, with 85mm, it went very well, but that’s the only thing I’ve driven

4 Likes

I think if it is doing good at idle then that is a good sign. 35 minutes would be long enough for problems to show up I think.

4 Likes

I think 85 mm would do fine, but no problem using a smaller restriction.
I used 75mm for my volvo 142, 2 liter engine, ran well around 3000 rpm, used that about 4 month’s and was no problems, went bigger after that.
A fun fact: an old “rule of thumb” was to use a restriction same dia as one piston in the engine used, (or slightly smaller for 4 cylinders/ slightly bigger for 6 cylinders) i know this i some old bullsh*t, but it worked well for slow-running war-time engines. This will give you 80mm? If i remember correctly it’s the piston diameter on standard 1,5liter v4?

5 Likes

Ok, as usual I’m worried about tar, and this winter when the temperature drops to -20 degrees c,(-4f) I wonder if 85mm is a lot.

1 Like

Ha, Goran, thanks! Fun rule of thumb. Gives you a baseline, then one can work from there.

5 Likes

Hi @JO_Olsson
I was out and drove a bit with the iller on gengas today, there is no big difference between gengas or petrol, strangely enough, could be due to the 85mm restriction and the fact that the filter does not give any resistance yet.
Tried to run the crane and it also seems to work, I usually have higher revs than I have now in the forest, but think it works well.

15 Likes

Sounds beautiful JanA.
2800 RPM?
Best Regards
Steve Unruh

8 Likes

Hi Steve, I think it’s around 1500 rpm after the instrument, could be the hydrual pump you hear.

6 Likes

Congratulations Jan!
Ha, maybe the ol V4 is the way to go with future wg- adventures :smiley: It runs amazingly well.
How about heat? You mentioned earlier you may be a bit low on cooling area. Sitting stationary there’s no breeze cooling the pipes. Shouldn’t be too much work adding to the pipes if necessary though.
Again - congratulations! You will save tons of gasoline money upcoming winter :+1: Any expences left for your deductions? :wink:

9 Likes

I’m starting to regret not taking this one to Chevan instead, think this one is better, but like I said, I haven’t tested much yet.
However, I think it’s strange that I don’t lose that much.

7 Likes

Jan, l can hear it in your voice. Thats the sound of sucsess! I bet you are happy with it and rightfully so, it does sound nice!

10 Likes

What Kristijan said .

9 Likes

That is one heck of a toy, small boys, small etc.
What Kristijan said, you nailed it. And no excuse not to use your toy this winter. Cant wait to see the vids.

6 Likes

Thanks, but now the next question arises, why does this seem to lose so little compared to the one I have on the Chevan?
What is the difference?

6 Likes

Jan, litle differences in engine characteristics mean the world of a difference in the world of woodgas it seems. Our American friends have a saying, “there is no replacement for displacement”. But l have learned with woodgas thats not nessesery the case. Those are quite low compression engines for one.
When l increased the compression ratio on my Škoda from 8 or 9 stock to about 11 or 12, l gained probably about a third more power on woodgas. An incredible difference.

12 Likes

I think the compression is around 9 kg on both the v4 and the Chevan, but I have slightly different measurements on the unit for the v4, and then it probably breathes much easier.

7 Likes

Jan, I watched your video several times last night and another couple times this morning :smile:

8 Likes

Jan, l belive measured compression and compression ratio are two different things.

7 Likes

Jan, this equipment fits your machine nicely, congratulations, the real power of the engine will show itself when the load is fully loaded and when driving uphill, but it is very good that it works well for you even with a light load, when working with a lift, usually not much power is needed, maybe 5-10 HP… …

8 Likes

Jan perhaps the engine feels the same strength because the V4 was overbuilt for the machine to prevent wearing it out? If you have an excess of power but little demand you never need the full strength.

8 Likes