Indoor cooking with woodgas?

What a nice stove! Love it! Whats the bottom door for? Firewood?

6 Likes

Yes, it looks like new, but is quite old, yes the lower door is for wood.

4 Likes

What’s the main trouble, @KristijanL? Not enough power for cooking because all heat goes to boiler? Too cold cooking plate bacause it receives only exhaust from the boiler?

2 Likes

hello jan , for ineffective stoves exists this system, built with old hand made bricks…makes heat storage
picture 3 upwards is a throttle, when begin making fire is kept open, after must be closed…
from the same interesting book series where i have found the solarpanel what turns automatically to the sun…

8 Likes

this foto addictional to my stove some posts upward…in the morning the fire was on and could not make the foto…behind the old stove plate is the water vessel, only heated by radiation through the plate…no condensation through smoke on a cold vessel…works excellent…

in europe the actually politicans in the EU have found that wood is not more sustainable energy…

5 Likes

Yes, that could be a solution, but I’m not sure if the wife wants me to make such an installation in the kitchen.
I would like to have about a 500 liter water tank, and a small element with a spot in the hall, it could keep the house frost-free for a day or two.
The heat pump we have today cannot be set down to more than 16 degrees, so it comes on quite early.

5 Likes

send your wife in holidays for 3 weeks, and when she comes back all is ready…i make it always so…

8 Likes

Looks very interesting, @giorgio. Certainly it makes common stove more effective.

But it may clash with certain rules. For instance, here in CR, there is a rule that roughly for every feet of effluent path not pointing upward you need a yard of straight chimney from effluent input to the top. Looking to the picture, rough estimate says chimney has to be around 10 yards high. Definitely it would work with less, but no chance for certification.

4 Likes

Kamil, exactly. Wich is good, in certain circumstances.

1 Like

Indeed, Giorgio, l like the concept! Might adapt it some day.

Mass is hard to beat. I realy shuld count bricks someday, but l belive l got at least a tone of clay bricks actively accumulating exess heat from our cooking stove over the day, wich radiates heat for up to 2 days. In the 2 years we have been liveing the house, l only had to load the stowe twice for actual warmth.

Yes l know… l still got to finish it. Missing the back face and fumehood. Hope to do so in this winter.

8 Likes

The only sustainability EU politicans concern is a sustainability of their own grip on power :nerd_face:

8 Likes

The cold days have arrived and, as usual, the word is again about ovens and stoves, and rightly so. I tried to draw a sketch of the Plamen

stove with the function of heating water, in fact the water exchanger surrounds the firebox and when the stove burns, tongues of fire lick the hob and heat it to a high temperature, then the combustion is completed under this plate above the baking oven, well, hot gases they continue down the front half of the oven wall and under the oven they reverse direction and rise up along the other half of the oven into the chimney opening. The construction is quite simple and very efficient, it would be difficult to design a stove better, it cooks well, the oven cooks evenly, it heats water for heating approx. 5 radiators and for sanitary water, when the hob heats up, it heats the container with water for coffee faster than a gas cooker. this is what I have experienced when observing the operation of this stove at my brother’s.

9 Likes

Mom finally got a new stove,…

19 Likes

Looking great Tone! Burning wood all day or gas?

6 Likes

Joep, wood burns all year round, we only use gas in the hot summer months (we only use one cylinder of gas per year).

9 Likes

Thank you Giorgio very good ispiration for me :smiley:

2 Likes

I question the wisdom of using woodgas indoors. Carbon monoxide is deadly and undetectable without special equipment.

I would suggest biogas, a process where cooking gas can be obtained from food scraps and manure. Also, the reactor is much simpler to construct.

As mentioned in the video, the inner tube he used only supplies about five minutes of gas which is not particularly practical if you ever have interest in eating an entire meal. However, I’ve seen others use an inflatable camping mattress which has a much larger capacity.

5 Likes

Small biogas digesters have long been used in India but you aren’t going to get much out of them unless you have a cow or a horse. Food scraps and dog turds won’t cut it.

8 Likes

I understand that a warm climate is important, too.

10 Likes

I want to say Ben Pettetson once sayd he preffers woodgas right away over burrying shit in the ground for weeks and hoping for the best. Mr SteveU might be able to confirm this.

But l too am inclined in this direction.

I will for sure try some biogas in the future, just for the fun of it, but mainly l think l will stay loyal to wood. In all forms possible.
But! In no way its a fit-all solution! A biogas reactor will only work efficiantly for about 3 months a year here. Gasification doesent mind thugh…

12 Likes