Is charcoal really less efficient? Im beginning to wonder

Koen, which types of plastics are you concentrating on?
Cheers, David

2 Likes

You can dual fuel a gasoline engine as well.

2 Likes

Hi David, for the time being, my focus is on PE plastics, PP, they are easy to separate in a washing process if needed. They float in water…
PS is on my list for testing. But so far i think PS and pet wil go in a mixed system, where is pass the plastic gas in the air intake of a charcoal gasifier and fully crack / mix the gas with the glowing carbon .

3 Likes

I was wondering if you could burn hot enough to use the plastics that are not good for making liquid fuel to refine the fuel. But I don’t know enough about what is in the smoke from plastics to know what type of firebox you need to burn it cleanly. I just know the Russians claimed their wood gasification boilers designed to heat city block housing would burn tires without making toxic smoke. But I was never to sure about those claims either I suspect it was more a case of we tossed in a tie and there was no black smoke so it must be clean.

4 Likes

Hi Dan,
Yes, it depends the temperature and also the contents in the gasification fuel.
Heavy metals have been used in the past and some still are, sulpur, fire retardents,
But still, things are managable as long you do things with awareness and subsequently use the correct processes…
Tyres as fuel is less problematic, compare them as heavy bunker oil, where as clean clear LDPE plastic foil can be compared as gasoline fuel…

Glowing carbon is a good organic catalyst, for many things, just be aware of what you’r doing…
And with some effort a clean combustion can be achieved with nearly every fuel…

4 Likes

I was reading some info on tire distillation. They stated the sulfur content was too high for diesel, but maybe they mean the new low sulfur standard fuel? The sulfur could lead to trouble in modern emissions systems. I also read tire rubber can be a source of toluene and xylene, both substances requiring protection from exposure.

On the other hand, I read promising things about the influence of woody biomass mixed with plastic in a retort, the report is that it increases liquids production and synergistically increases reactivity.

2 Likes

Yes, sulphur is a problem at one point, but can be eliminated … You can refine pyrolysisoiI in similar fashion as you do with crude oil…
What i worry more about is the Hydrogen sulphate from biodigesters / biogas production / landfill gasses…

If you do a good landfill management, focussed on recovering the gasses, you’ll have so much energy source, one that you actual now let escape into the air without caring… ( that gas counts for 1/3 of the total air pollution but nobody seems to care…

Using waste as energy is feasible, the easy way, but where is the profit for those who are in charge ?

Its easy to say: i plant 1 trillion of tree’s… but it would be best to do: i plant 1 trillion of tree’s and use that as a sustainable energy source forfeiting the profit i make with using fossil fuels…

Cutting down tree’s and making profit is what a lot of people do…
Planting, growing and caring about tree’s, sustainable way, less people doing that…

DOW ? very few are doing what’s good for all…

7 Likes

Just imagine, if so much emissions is coming from landfills, how this will be vastly overshadowed by boreal forest and arctic methane as the ground warms and the methane there releases, and the organic material ferments in the swamps.

The bulletin of atomic scientists just reset the doomsday clock to the shortest mark ever, 100 seconds to midnight. In large part they explain due to the growing and in many ways unknowable disastrous effects of climate change. The Australians seem to have finally taken note, probably too late… A spokesman for the bulletin explained that a large part of their alarm is that there is no evidence of any national leader treating this as a true emergency, taking appropriate steps to avoid disaster.

6 Likes

We have a trash to energy plant in NH but it is always shrouded in debate about the emmisions. I think the fundamental problem is that we simply don’t consider the full lifespan of goods when we manufacture them.
In order to tackle the waste problems of our society we need to start at the beginning and ask all manufacturers how they will dispose of this product at the end of life. It has to be part of the orginal design process not an after thought. I can assure you in 20 years as a controls engineer I was never once asked about the end of life of anything I was involved with.

7 Likes

Organic material landfills were banned here back in 2005 and 50% of all household trash is burned. Still we’re actually low on trash in Sweden, but Poland, Germany, Denmark, Norway…they all help us out. They pay to get rid of their trash and 20% of our district heating is fueled by trash. 0.5% of the electricity. Not much talk about emissions since filtering improved. The use of slag and ash in construction, like pavement and such, is controversial though.

7 Likes

There was a tire pyrolisis power plant . Near by there was a waste incinerator power plant .
These plants got funds for producing renewable energy .
Opposition was created the subsidy was withdrawn the plants went bankrupt .
The waste incinerator power plant was converted to a wood burning power plant .
Opposition was created to allowing any wood burning power plant .
The company refurbishing the plant seemed to be working with those working to outlaw plant using government funded programs to ensure plant did not comply with newly drafted regulations . Plant was eventually sold for scrap . with the loss of tens , tens , tens of millions of dollars of investment , and hundred and hundreds of jobs .
Near by The City of Chicago continued use of a waste to energy incinerator , the air was grey just horrible condition to live under .

4 Likes

The waste to energy plant in NH has clear smoke or atleast it did when they where not doing a startup. I forgot what the smoke issue was because I moved out of the area about 7 years ago. But it seemed like a good system to me compared to the other options for dealing with waste all of which are pretty bad.

3 Likes

there was an issue where the city said it was not able to separate car batteries from waste stream going into incinerator . Or just having any cognizance and responsibility . It is somebody else responsibility not mine .

3 Likes

Here the plant has a conveyor belt that they use to sort out the things people didn’t sort. Then they back bill the town for shipping mixed waste. That system seemed to work pretty good. Basically you are required to sort out all not organic waste so the stuff going into the plant is sorted.

4 Likes

you guys worry to much like the rest of the people. If yous were realy conserned you can get rid of most pulutiants by incenerating the gases and washing the exhaust in water filters some one has to take control and do the right thing leave it to government and they will screw up the lords prayer. there has been ways to get rid of pulutants for years but every time they REINVENT a way someone in power hides it so why complane just let them destroy the earth… They just like scare tactics more money in it no money in sitting back and solving the problem 40 years ago we had a paper mill here .I knew the president and they had a polution problem . I told him just bubble air in to the water it would solve the problem . He said ya I know we did that in british columdia worked great but that is why we have lawyers let the fight it . We pay them let them do there jobs… yous figure it out i have gave up 20 years ago

4 Likes

Jan 7, 2005
Gov. Rod Blagojevich ordered a Joliet landfill closed Thursday, two weeks after he found out one of his wife’s cousins is alleged to have told construction waste haulers he had clout and they could dump anything at the site without scrutiny from environmental regulators.

A top Blagojevich aide said the governor got involved in a matter normally handled by rank-and-file state employees to send a message that nobody in his family should expect special treatment, in particular his father-in-law, Chicago Ald. Richard Mell (33rd).

The cousin, Frank Schmidt, allegedly told contractors that Mell backed the landfill deal, though the governor’s office could find no proof the alderman had any involvement.

It is unusual for a landfill to be ordered closed so quickly after it is brought to the attention of the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency. The state has been investigating dozens of illegal dumps for years, some of which continue to operate despite repeated violation notices.

In this case, state EPA inspectors visited the Joliet landfill on six days in the last two weeks to survey the 45-acre site and collect soil samples. One dump truck allegedly was turned away during an inspection because it was filled with illegal debris, officials said.

The landfill operators apparently started dumping waste in a deep quarry off Chicago Street in Joliet in mid-November.

EPA officials accuse the landfill company, Land Reclamation Services, of accepting construction and demolition debris without a state permit, storing waste in violation of state regulations and allowing “actual or threatened” dumping into a nearby creek without a permit.

3 Likes

Perfect!!!
Rindert
20 characters

3 Likes

i am sorry for flying of the handle. But for 67 years i have seen naih sayers say the sky is falling. but I never got hit on the head with a piece of the sky yet. maybe one day i will. there is going to be things you guys can not even imagion that are going to happen in the next few years. but it seems that some people get carried away with something and the next thing you know every body is following along with them not knowing what they are doing . gasifying is the most clean fuel that has been done in hundreds of years. wasnt good in the 1800’s or early 1900’s but with the reburn units and the preheated air it can be made flameless. which will destroy most toxins. nitric oxide dosnt form until 1776 degrees C. our problem still is the inert gases going through the systems 75 to 80 percent. nitrogen argon etc these gases do not burn do nothing but take up space and delute the fuel we need a different way to make the gas .plazama from water etc. but for now this is the way to go. what we need is a way to control the gas mixture. then all we get is CO2 and water vapour. i have heard people say we run all day and get a teaspoon of water .Ya but the water is changed to something else it will go through the motor then change back again .what we have to understand is the water came back in the cylinder when it is burned. as steam. i have been asking Questions the last couple of weeks because we are ready to change the feild of gasification like nothing you can see yet. i cant do it it is a promise i made years ago but i can lead yous in the right direction. i just cant tell you how or do it as i am not allowed to change the way of men. only guide. the first thing i did change and what you see today is the out come i have repented every sense. so instead of worrying about the distruction of the world as we know it get together and build the gasifier revolution. the problem with global warming is out of our control but if you do what you can the world will fallow what our problem is now is the coal fired hydro plants . that kind of things . And yes as I say the government dont matter whitch one any and them all will screw up the lords prayer at the very least.

2 Likes

Referring to European Union . I am finding imitative and new terminology . IBC Intermediate Bioenergy Carriers , Includes Pyrolysis oil , torrefied biomass and microbial oil . Can we not consider microbial oil ? On the short list forget i mentioned it .
Wood chips or Charcoal . Charcoal is better . Wood chips are problematic . Matt has tried wood pellets . I would like Matt to try Torrefied wood pellets . If such a thing exist . What difference is there between chunked torrefied wood and chunked wood made into charcoal ?

I found another source for torrefied wood pellets . www.torrcoal.com [email protected]
There is a Greek group clube.gr that might be using this product .

1 Like

The machines make beautiful gas on torified or charcoal pellets. However, I have only so far ran short runs. I dont know if the reactors will get too hot or if there will be metal degradation. I do plan to explore this with the experimental units I am working on. Brian one of our members here is getting one along with another sale. I do plan to make one for the shop and will have it at Argos this year.

1 Like