Is charcoal really less efficient? Im beginning to wonder

Naa,… this isn’t claiming one or the other…
Just creating this topic to put answers regarding the subject on one place…

As my daily work involves"energy" and biomass 7/24/365… and i do love experimenting, i have one answer, not only the obvious “it depends” but also “follow the (your) road from fuelprep to actual shaftpower used ( or electric generated )”

It boils down to simple math’s and simple physics… ; “where does the heat go ?” and “where should the heat be ?”

Some might remember one of my builds that includes the plastic “gasifier”; well that is still on and even getting scaled up, including extracting useable diesel, gasoline and heavy fuel…

It all depends on how you manage your heat and what purpose you can give it…

Exhaust heat from IC engine ? ( what heat is needed to pyrolyse plastic ? oops, giving out to much info…)

Catalystic reforming ? it depends
Charcoaling and preheating house ?
Boiling water ?
Desalinating ?
Drying processes ?
Using heat from charcoaling for distilling organic residue’s ?
Wanting to make liquid smoke for seasoning meat ?
Cooking mapple syrup ? during charcoaling making ?
Using the heat for boiling steam and running a steam waterpump ?
Steam turbine generator ?

So many things in favor for the one or the other… it all depends…
Use your imagination…
Use wood for your energy needs and do it wisely…

10 Likes

I just shovel it out of the outdoor wood boiler home heater. Then filter it over a modified patio umbrella table. Then hand grind it.

8 Likes

Snap ! 90% of my daily running charcoal is all made indoors from my wood heating fire , the other 10% is everything that falls onto the ground in my garden leafs and bark & twigs and trust me we get a lotta lotta bark ( mountain ash gum tree’s ) that’s all burnt in a cone out side in the garden and then shoveled into 55 gall drums for when needed during summer cloudy days mixed with what ever hard wood chunked charcoal from the home fire i have left

7 Likes