Is charcoal really less efficient? Im beginning to wonder

I think i have to repeat myself, and be a bit more clear/specific:
This topic is intended to learn why charcoal is better or not.

Not to discuss the claims a new brand is making, claims without clear shown knowhow.

I want to learn and share. Not debate wether or not a brand is good.

I hate to read things as this:

So stop posting as such. Mr. Pfeifer doesn’t know what he’s talking about period. If you run his machines out of fuel range, you’ll have the same problems as all other gasifiers he talks about…

The thing i know for sure ? Any upscaled WK or Simple fire system will be cheaper, easier and outperfom his at any given time.

We, here at DOW, we do know, and we do want to learn…
We learn from knowhow and experience that others share, successes and failures.

So, please … stay within the topic…

10 Likes

Making energy from wood chips ,
The wood used was rubber tree , which presented problems Allpowerlabs was not going to deal with . The Liberians figured out a way as they needed to have one of these machines working in order to keep a job . They sewed up bags and filled these bags with sand and put bags in filters and these bag filters took out latex from gas flow . This allowed the allpowerlabs power pallet to operate a bit longer . I can not find later information about this except that Booker T. Washington Institute Inc is using solar power .

Lighting Liberia on Biomass-grand opening

added link coin operated gas meter

https://www.ebay.com/c/1886167735

1 Like

Does it appear that the metal roofing, picture of above building, is installed in the wrong direction? Shouldn’t the ridges follow the slope of the roof?

Getting back to charcoal, It is time for me to go outside and harvest more charcoal from the outdoor boiler.

3 Likes

In full agreement with Koen, we must remain lucid

6 Likes

Just having some fun in the snow before it is all gone.

13 Likes

Good catch on the slope, Jeff.

1 Like

Hi Jeff
does handling coal in these snowy conditions not cause moisture problems?
I don’t dare to screen my coal outside in winter, I screen in a greenhouse. but coal dust is very painful in a cloistered space. is it possible to screen outside without worry? :thinking:
Thierry

3 Likes

I always do it outside, preferably with a slight breeze. A little moisture in the charcoal doesn’t hurt anything.

4 Likes

Moisture is always low in winter, relative humidity. If that same air was heated to summer temperatures it would be desert dry.

4 Likes

Right. This is probably obvious to some of you, but I’ll say it anyway, just for those who are not so skeptical. That is a computer model. A lot of people these days know how to make very realistic computer models. Pictures are not like photographs used to be. They cannot be trusted.
Rindert

3 Likes

Hi Thierry, I always screen outside and never have noticed a problem. Generally, I do not look for trouble, I let trouble find me. :joy:

Our summers are much more humid than our winters. I do not screen in the rain or snow storms. Wind is a plus. I’ve learned to be less exact and not worry about the small problems. After all charcoal is forgiving. I even don’t mind if my gas is a bit humid, after all engines seem to like foggy air. Some people use water injection with gasoline, for various reasons.

What I am trying to get at is; first do what is easiest for YOU. Then, if trouble finds you, adjust a bit.

6 Likes

Hey I like this!
“If trouble finds you; (then) adjust a (wee) bit!” The real DOer way of it.
Goes with my newly found, “If it is to be; then it is up to me.”
S.U.

4 Likes

Plus, It’s just a random building. Could also be a latrine, or deluxe wood storage shed! :upside_down_face:

1 Like

This is way to much fun…
1: The building is real, look the surroundings a bit closer and the details…
2: The roof ridges are in the right position, the roof is sloped to the front, the back of the building is higher…
I extracted the image, now put on your perspective correcting glasses on :grin:
Size of the building: approx 8 by 8 meters, and 6,5 meters at highest point. Front porch 4 by 4 meters
I think the building would stay cleaner with a charcoal gasifier… :grin:

6 Likes

It looks like they eliminated the need for purlins by running the cladding crosswise to the rafters. Wouldn’t be my first choice of construction, but it works more or less. As long as there aren’t many leaves falling on it, or rain isn’t going to work back under the overlaps…

If it is in fact sloped to the front it should make for a spectacular cascade in heavy rains.

2 Likes

Good question, I still see it sloping to the electric lines.

4 Likes

That looks like a simple and well working design.Thanks for posting’ the only thing i did not get was’ ware are the holes in the primary burn barrel ?.

3 Likes

Hey Kevin, thanks for your interest, I have been itching to R&D a similar system since Andrew Heath (I think), originally posted that vid on a thread.

Here’s a sketch of what I think is the design:

Some time ago I had read in the comments the builder’s description, he said there is a drain at the bottom to drain water that is used to douse the unit after a run. From the burnt paint on the secondary air preheat jacket I gather that marks the bottom of the combustion zone, so there has to be air inlets at that level.

I think the design could be improved. The builder said he has to fill the unit to the combustion area with charcoal to start it, then build up the fire. I would make it into a proper TLUD, and use just a small amount of charcoal, maybe a foot in the bottom, perforate the bottom and add a second bottom with a primary air inlet that can feed combustion of wood chunks from the top down to prime the unit, and then cap that off to snuff the charcoal and run as shown in the vid.

I do wonder if simple air holes around the tank will provide adequately for combustion through to the middle. It might be there’s one nozzle across the center with side holes. I also wonder how the air balance / flow would work if it is just drawing from the preheat jacket, might turn out it needs a separate tube to bring in the primary air.

7 Likes

Nice sketch looks about what i thought it was like other than the top part may be welded. Looks like it may smother the char as it falls toward the bottom auger. Thanks

3 Likes

yes, Kevin triggered me into charcoal. Gillmore system is perfect to start with. Next question, how to make charcoal? This is a very nice system thanks. But I thought inner pipe was welded to outer tube and there are the air inlet holes. You have to fill up onces with carcoal, after that just auger it out and keep burning leverl up. I like it and think I will start with this.

2 Likes