Is Woodheating Perfect. . .?

I’ll take either or I’m interested :blush:

6 Likes

Hello back to you JoepK.
Some of us do burn conifer, Pines, Firs and Spruces because that is mostly all we have in the far west side of the North American continent. Some maple. Some alder. Some Madrone.

My comment was about the laboratory testing woods chosen as a universal standard. “Cribbing” is how it is testing stacked.
Many different standards in different geographical areas need to be tested. Four different European standards I read now too.

Tested for grams per hour of smoke per cubic measurement

In this you will find many in USofA localities; and and individual specific States linked to unique reequipments.
Scroll way down and I am in the “Southwest Clean Air Agency, WA” authority area.
DOW members Marcus and MichaelG. are in the “Puget Sound,WA” authority area.
And all of us and others DOW in the Washington State regulated area:
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/WAC/default.aspx?cite=173-433-100
the “leg” refers to legacy regulations for us going back to the year 1990. With many stricter revisions since then.

So . . . you think it is confusing in the US?
Try Canada.
Try the EU

Open up “Environment and Regulations” The there, open up “Standards and Certifications of Wood Burning Stoves”
Five different standards to be tested for, and met. Emphasis on carbon monoxide being below 1%. Particulates below 100mg per cubic meter. And some requiring certification of above 76% conversion efficiency. The Austrian standard requiring above attested conversion of 80% to be legal certified for use.

Both sides of the Atlantic: some standards started out to make for better woodstoveing.
Now some areas using these to make wood stoveing impossible to do.

Wood Gasification for uses?
If used for “wood heating” I know my State will step in declaring authority.
Many areas roads driving on wood will claim “fuels use” authority if you register it.

I am cringe-waiting now for the first in-house deaths from in-residences made gasification CO to NEWS blow-up and take our so far ignored DIY’s away.
I’ve tried encouraging to NOT word “wood gasifing”, gasification wood “Charcoal Making” inside occupied residences.
Keep your activities separated, to keep them possible, says I.
Or weep later the loss of possibilities. Taked away from us by the Masters of Regulations.
Steve unruh

4 Likes

Haha, lot of rules. Not bad, it brings things to a next level. The guy over here that is very busy with the rocket batch is trying to get it certified. Next level, nothing wrong with it. It is going wrong when you are there for the rules instead of the rules for the people. Low profile always helps. If one neighbour starts complaining the shit starts. No smoke, no problem.
Gasification and conifer is going to be a problem. I was at Dutch John place this week. Finally got the time. Not possible he said, we will see. I have to, cant let it rot. Simply to much wood.

4 Likes

Heating season has started definitive.
Here the boiler is just lighted for a few minutes. No smoke in the chimney, no problems. Whatever regulation is aplied. It seems I finialy understand something.

6 Likes

Is Wood Heating perfect? I think it’s a pain in the ass but it’s all we have done now for 22 years. Have to gather wood, cut it to size, split it, stack it, cover it, haul enough to get through the day close to the front door, tend the fire , clean out the ashes, drag you butt up two stories of icy ladder to sweep the flue at the end of February. I can’t remember what it’s like to just send off a check to the gas company but I know it was not a big bite back when we used to do it. Not the same now and not an option for us anyway. Unless we had a two thousand gallon tank and a pit full of dollars propane would be out for us. No one gets back into our place in the winter without four wheel drive. Still wood heat is pretty good bite of freedom and self sufficiency and for me it’s worth all the trouble. I’m just lucky that being in my seventies I can still get it done. I just wish I had a small cottage that I could heat with a couple of flares of butt gas.

10 Likes

Jan is dating Bello, I hope his wife is not jealous, Joep is reviewing why Atmos serves him so well, Kristjan enjoys his oven when he turns steaks, … let someone else say that wood heating is not perfect, with us firewood they have been burning since the summer, my dear wife cooks on the Plamen stove, and I run my WVterm every 4 days.
Tom, my father - in - law will soon turn 98 and heats himself with firewood, his biggest concern is when there is less than 30 m3 in the woodshed.,:grinning:

11 Likes

I spend most of my day in denial. This year will be different, I will burn oil or propane…so I took a look at that. I asked myself what happens if we have to burn wood this year? Well, about February the elbow and pipe rot off from the corrosive condensing gases.
So I decided to try stainless single wall pipe this year, as a hedge.
It cost double. Not having to shut down the reactor to change the pipes in February will be priceless!
I may have to drill a drain hole though.

5 Likes

Good to hear Dutch John is still alive, well and still kicking.
He had a rough patch there for awhile.

That adurofire site information is very good. Out of Denmark, yet I read it in English?
Here; North America we have a similar wood heating information site:
https://www.woodheat.org
They are out of eastern Canada.
They once said never burn for heating conifer woods as too smoky, pitch/sappy. To low of density. They used to say ONLY buy and harvest hardwoods.
Used to.
Then us western U.S.; and BC and Alberta Canadians said . . . we ain’t got those eastern hardwoods. We burn conifer woods. And have for generations! What about us, huh. Are we the red headed cousins?
So woodheat.org got their heads out of their asses; and using submissions from confer users found out how we use these woods. And added to their information base.
A non-commercial service in support of responsible home heating with wood - Good Firewood

The chimney advices and guidelines on both these sites is excellent.
IF a person would follow there chumney recommendations. Thier firing use adavices.
AND never accept any visible smokinh as normal out there chimney they TOO, like you and me would never need chimney cleaning either.
Ha! Have to do internal stove repairs and replacements for sure firing that hot and at times vigorous.
But as I’ve said the stove, the furnace is just a converting performance device.
A tool. Tool are to be used for results.

Woodgasing for vehicles coming out of the WWII European experiences it was said to never use oak wood. Too corrosive hard on the system metals.
Here southeast USofA that is all some have to woodstove and woodgasifiy with.

Use what you got. Make it work. Even . . . horror . . . cottonwood and poplars.
Do not cry for what you do not have. Or lust away for something perceived better.
S.U.

5 Likes

Here is one of my “discovery tools”

12 years old now. I got this originally to be able to cleave pop big fir pie splits with up to 4"/100mm limb base knots across them. And weight-down twisted grain stump butt cut off rounds.
Previously we had cut these across with the Stihl electric plug in saw. Wore out the brushes doing that.
Once I had real easy to use power I began to fine split down and explore the advantages. World of improved woodstoving performances improvement there. I feed bad even for the years I was a big chunk wood guy. Forcing big chunks onto those I supplied. Last 10 years I have aged and my fine hands/eye aim control just ain’t what it used to be so I even fine split my kindling on the splitter too.
200 days at one wheel barrel a day fine splitting down; taking 20 minutes running time. 60 hours a year using that one 5 gallons/18 liters of gasoline pictured. I run for 20 minute to warm the engine oil, and PVC suck clear crankcase moistures and vapors.
And that 20 minutes moving, lifting, handling with the wheelbarrowing to and from the woodshed give me some of my keep-upright moving daily exercising.
S.U.

7 Likes

I feel like that is one of the advantages of charcoaling oak. My flame cap barrels I can replace, but it would be annoying to have to repair a reactor more often than normal. Once I get my Mini Joni build finished I’ll probably feed it a steady diet of pine and walnut pieces. Really need to work on a rebak chunker.

2 Likes

After the conifer, i want to switch to poplar. It is growing everywhere here. You cut it and it grows back. But according to every book it is a no go. Anyone experience? Or some trees I can plant and harvest the same way as polar?
Beech seems the best for wwoodgas, but you can cut the tree only once. Then you have to find another one.
Birch doesnt like clay.

4 Likes

I have seen a comment on here stating that branches have less tar than the trunks?

Maybe you could just harvest a few birch branches or poplar branches?

4 Likes

And they are more dense. Thanks. Big stuf is going into the boiler. Branches trough rebak and tlud. That last step still needs perfection. Lot of rain right now, so no playing outside tomorrow.
Thanks

4 Likes

Kristijan posted a new video on his channel this morning about his cook stove. Very interesting.

6 Likes

https://youtu.be/BL1UO7ZtcKs

Here it is guys.

Let me just add to it l added 3 half inch secondairy air ports just unther the loading door, that aid to cleaner combustion.

Also @Pelletpower asked me on Youtube how does the solar work. For now, the pump was put on as a test, manualy starting it in the morning and stoping it in the evening. But l pan to put the solar collector lower thain the house so it shuld work without a pump altogether, by thermal syphoneing. In the winter l am planing to reverse the effect, the pump will force hot water out where it will heat the greenhouse.

12 Likes

Cleaned the chimney, about a gallon of mostly gray ash in the 8” dia lower horizontal 18” section. The vertical SST double wall section was clean.
Started first fire of the year yesterday.
I have been cheating for several weeks using the electric for an hour in the morning. I only run the wood stove wide open and even a small 2 piece fire would be too much.

7 Likes

You basically built the exact system I have planned out in my head I haven’t gotten to yet, but mine was to be external. I have a small motor cycle trailer with no title i was planning to mount a 275 gallon oil tank to, with a 80 gallon air tank inside as the fire box. That being the boiler part which would double on the chimney section as a outdoor oven for slow cooking, and a thermal syphon spool just like you have placed on the roof of my fur shed movable to the underside of the shed for heating in winter. Solar panels on the fur shed roof to power the pump with battery box mounted on the outside wall in a separated breathable box. Excess power from the panels will power the fur shed lighting and fans. Pex pipe ran inside to the central heat in the house forced air system with a heat exchanger to heat the house off the boiler and a heat exchanger plate on top the water heater for supplement water heating.Reason for the mobile setup is I’m renting so no modifications directly to the house that would void either my rental contract or the lovely Washington state building codes. But now I’ll be moving so it’s a big back seat project that I have three quarters of the pieces for :neutral_face:

3 Likes

Thank you Kristijan, that was a very good video of your complete cooking, heating water, and heating house system. It looks to me you thought it out very good. The solar black plastic tubing is so simple. Even the heating the bathroom well done.
Does all your heat go up the stairway to heat the bed rooms or do you have adjustable ceiling vents too.
You have a very wonderful home for your family now, great job on you and your wife build on it.
I can see why you have not had much time for your DOW project. Home on wood (HOW) comes first always.
How is the Rampump working out for the water supplying your cistern system?
Bob

4 Likes

Marcus, my only advice for you is dont go too big. My house is well insulated and the stove is allmost overkill, even thugh its not that big. On the other hand, reducing the volume of the fireplace is easyer thain expanding it…
The initial plan was to base the stove in the corner so that one part of the stove sticks out. There wuld be a hoper outside for collecting charcoa. Glad l organised the things as l did, l am wery satisfyed and the leftover charcoal helps relight the fire in the morning, while l make my charcoal in a separate operation…

Next step is optimising the summer regime, wich will likely include piping in woodgas to burn on demand just when cooking is neaded.

Bob, thank you. We still have lots to do. But mostly the things that please the eye. You may have noticed l still miss a lot of smaller details like window shelfs, kitchen cubbords… Slowly we make all that.

I recently put in this fixed window.

Now we can cook with the feeling of being out in the garden. Inspired with the North family front yard garden.

Building a covered porch now… Also wood storage place

The fasade will be made in winter, l hope. I plan to line it with fire burnt boards.

The spring unfortunaly showed to be too weak to power the ram pump, once it got milked out over a corse of a few months. Now l have a electric pump installed.

14 Likes

Ha!
Kristijan, you certainly have all the bells and vistles possible on that stove without adding “un-natural” gizmos. I like it a lot. I also like the idea of installing the solar downhill. Perfect bullet proof flow/temp regulation for free.

Edit:
Also, pretty wood work.
I can see now you’re busier than I :smile:

8 Likes