Jesse Hart's gasifier

need to do better proof reading before I post

1 Like

You have more patience than I have. Right after I was able to flare, I had to hook it up to an engine. That makes me reckless but what a feeling to hear it run on wood. I am (im)patiently waiting for that video.

4 Likes

yea, I would have loved to do that too and would have but do not own a small 4 stroke ic didnā€™t want to ruin my weed whacker its 2 stroke donā€™t know how to add the oil to the gas
can anybody please explain to me how to read interpret the chart on inverted hearth dimentions. there are only a few of the top letters mentioned in the notes or
key and they are for the air nossles and throat diameter then there is a side note that tells you that a 50hp engine needs 100 meters of air so it can be found on lines Fand G
thatā€™s all good but how do you understand the chart from left to right what do the letters mean???

2 Likes

Hey Bill Schiller, go to youtube type in Freedom Woodgas there are two vids posted there

2 Likes

The letters correspond to the cross section view. If you are running typical wood chips at 10% moisture follow those dimensions to the T, especially concerning the jet/restriction/reduction relationship and it will work. You can fudge some on the other portions. Start changing fuel types and you will need to tune it to those fuels. Pellets will require a smaller jet ring and less reduction is needed. Larger and less dense fuels need a larger jet ring and a lot more reduction.

2 Likes

Thanks Matt but no help

1 Like

Canā€™t follow the directions when you donā€™t understand them in the first place

1 Like

OK First set of numbers you see are your hearth external diameter and restriction size. dr/dh

The next number is the again the restriction size ā€œdhā€
next is the hearth diameter again ā€œdrā€
dr* = jet ring diameter
h = jet height from the top of the restriction
H = jet height plus first stage reduction height (total height of the hearth)
R = Depth of your reduction
dm = jet opening or to be fancy your tuyere opening size
A = number of jet or ā€œtuyeresā€

this is all you need to dimension an Imbert gasifier. We still use these dimensions today after four years of product development. Our architecture is a lot different and our grate system is a bit different that allows us to get away with an increased reduction system as its unrestricted.

The other information available are the output specifications for each of these lines.

For your port tubing leaving the gasifier do not go any smaller than 2" on any gasifier. and the bigger it gets than the bigger you want those port tubes to be. The bigger the easier it is for the engine to breath. Its a big deal to the engine and will get your the most power out of it.

3 Likes

Ok if you look at the picture shown in the lower right corner of the sheet you will see a cross section of the hearth and reduction of an Imbert. So imagine a gasifier cut in half vertically and you are looking at one half of it. The letters of the lines correspond to the letters in this cross section. So for instance ā€œdhā€ is the restriction size so if you use line ā€œAā€ (60mm) is the size of the restriction hole.

2 Likes

Thank you I really apprieciate your time
Now when Iā€™m looking at that page Iā€™ll lnow what I am looking at
I can read and understand many different styles of blue print,but that was like looking at a map with no key to tell me whats what

3 Likes

JesseH. try here for references too:
www.woodgas.nl
then the Microgasifiers section for the small systems
the Volvo car for larger (open the British flag for the in-English version)
Dutch John has also done a Chevy pickup 454 V-8 tri-fueled system. That info is here on the DOW under his membership posts.
he is NOT a youtube poster

Keep on burning man. Regards
Steve Unruh

3 Likes

Resourceing parts and pieves for bigger gasifier. Found heavy duty barrels in a town not too far away 20$ any size and lid style. Hard to find large dia. Pipe this part of the world, without paying an arm & leg
Will have to hit some salvage yards this next month. The restaurant across the street threw a jumbo shop vac leaf blower out that I salvaged.it just needed a good cleaning.
Works great. Think it will work as a blower
for a much larger gasifier

5 Likes

Hey guys,
Its been a busy week here in Croswell. Scrapped out some pallets last week made a small batch of charcoal. Sized it by hamd to about 10mm used a little to lite with but the holes In the grate
are to small for the ash content. Cleaned everything out. Reloaded and ready to lite. Redesigning my cookpot cyclone.what I had was ok but now that I have run,tore down,inspected,run etc.,and studied from so many of you peoples posts and what you have done and used. I might have an idea of what I can do to make it work better. Also it gives me a chance to use my diy spot welder
Since Iā€™ll be working with lite weight metals
Will post pics tomorrow

3 Likes

Having prob posting pics

Jesse, there are a few things you have to understand. First, the photo can not be too many pixels. I have to put my pictures into an E-mail to myself. They come back in a few minutes and I have to take them out of my E-mail and put them in my photo album. Then to post them on DOW, I make a post and slide the picture from my photo section and drop it into the posting.
When you E-mail a picture it automatically cuts down the number of pixels. I donā€™t know why I canā€™t just drop the picture from the E-mail to a DOW post, but I have found I have to load it into my photos from the E- and then to DOW postTomC

3 Likes

Thanks Tom, I apreciate the quick response. Iā€™ll try it tomorrow. Here it is already Mon.and I havenā€™t slept yet
I donā€™t know about you folks out there but I usually wake up woth the birds

1 Like

If you need to make your pictures smaller there are free programs out there to do it for you .
I use a program called VSO image resizer , I have used this program for over 6 years now and it works good and is simple easy to use , reduces the size very small with hardly any loss of picture quality .
Dave

1 Like

I use microsoft Paint which comes free with Windows.

2 Likes

Picture resizing thread:

2 Likes

I eliminate all this resizing hassle by just setting my camera to the lowest resolution to start with.
Takes up less memory on the camera, Less memory on my computer, and less memory on the site. Also uploads a lot faster.

9 Likes