JO´s 8" gasifier

Makes sence, althugh l did remember your rabbit is 1,8 and my Chevy is 1.6 so at the end we are close after all.

2 Likes

Hi, Jan-Ola!
to mess. 538

Thank you! This is a confirmation of a hunch. Tire sizes
is having a minor effect, more is “service tolerancies”…
Also 3% is a fine-argument at speeding tickets.

GPS and a good frequency counter are more reliable,
when calculations count.

2 Likes

But still far from your Audi’s 3300 rpm at 100 km/h, right? Different gear box.

1 Like

Yes indeed!

Audi 80 has its motor longitudially…

3 Likes

Hi JO,

Look, a rabbit parked next to me this morning! It was in spotless condition! If it had at least one more seat l wuld buy it imidiatly!

5 Likes

Aaah, what a beauty!
Agree on the seats. If I ever find time to woodgas another vehicle I think it’ll be a Sunday sedan.

2 Likes

I forgot to ask… Is your rabbit German or Yugoslavian?

1 Like

I can’t tell for sure but from what I’ve read only Jugoslavia continued production of MK1 into the 90s and then someone bombed the Sarajevo plant in 92. Mine is 1990.

2 Likes

Does it have a plate TAS anywhere? This stands for Tovarna avtomobilov Sarajevo; meaning its Yugoslavian.

This one on the picture has it. They say the Germans have better corrosion resistance.

1 Like

I’ll have to check in daylight. Days are getting awfully short here.
If a Rabbit already has managed to survive almost 30 years I don’t think it matters much what the rust protection was like when it was new.

2 Likes

Ha! Ha! Very funny joke here guys.
The original full name for the Daimler two seat Smart car was, “Smart for Two”. An in-your-head egotistic ethics lifestyle statement made into metal.
Like all made-for-only-two vehicles (British, Italian, Japanese sports cars, all two wheeled motorcycles) real users found that 1 + 1 almost always becomes a wee little one of then three to accommodate!
Therefore Only-For-Two “solutions” is actually very, very dumb.
And the “enough room for four people and their weekend luggage” designs are what is truly wise and humanistic ethical.

“Don’t forget the Baby”
Steve Unruh

6 Likes

Hi JO,

I have a question on your gasifier air intake valve. If l remember right you use a cable operated valve? What kind of valve do you use?

It’s an ordinary 1 1/4" plumbing valve with a handle. Operated by a lawn mower cable.

1 Like

Thank you! Ball valve?

1 Like

Yes, ball valve. Might be easier to go without the cable with your longer distance.

We’ve had below freezing temps for a few weeks now. Several times I forgot to empty the hopper juice while the gasifier was still warm. To my surprice my hopper juice was never frozen the next day. What temp before it freezes?

2 Likes

Jan-Ola, that is Great News! @mggibb Michael Gibb and I were just talking on the phone last night about this. We were thing because of all tars which is tree sap and or carbon particles in the water it might not freeze like normal water does in the ccondensation tanks or hay filter barrow.
Thanks for the accidentally testing this for us. You could take some samples out and put them in the freezer and check on them every few minutes with a thermometer. Noting the time and temp. Hard to do a wind chill in your freezer.
Take a video of it when your wife opens it up to take something out for dinner, with all these samples in there, It should be priceless, LOL.
Bob

1 Like

Forcast predicts even lower temps later this week. I may not need risk my health :smile:

1 Like

No testing here, it back to short sleeve shirts and pants, crazy weather we are having here. Trees are not sure if they should drop their leaves, strawberries are still blooming, tomatoes are turning red on the vines. Normally the garden is completely pulled out by now and we would have had several very hard frosts days. Some years a little snow. Yesterday we had a hummingbird checking out the flowers on the deck, and getting some nectar. I’m sure it was just passing through heading for Southern part of the U. S. or mybe Northern Mexico.
Bob

3 Likes

Thought I’d cheer you up with some of our misery. Winter is here. Spent half day changing clothes. Out climbing on the roof to prepare for fire inspector, in with wet snowy clothes to show him the boiler, out again, in to change, to town, back home, in to change, out for gasifier maintenace, in to change…

Sigh…rules and regulations.
A few years back we were suddely allowed to do our own chimney sweeping if completing a course. You have to be certified…sigh. But to still be able to charge you some money they invented inspection for fire hazards. Well, at least I don’t have to have the chimney sweeper running here every other mounth, only once every three years now.
Inspection went well. A camera was dropped down the chimney (2 min), a quick glance at the boiler (10 sec). Charge 100$…sigh.
I never told I have a fireplace in the livingroom and a kitchen stove. However he discovered my Rabbit. We discussed gasification for 20 min :innocent: He was thrilled.

I made a short video of today’s winter driving into town. Still driving almost every day. So far so good. We’ll see what happens when it gets even colder.
Did some maintenace when I got home, incl a wash down of the hayfilter. Picture below. Shows condensation freezing towards the barrel walls.
Dark caught me when lighting the intake. When rappidly opening the plates I could see glowing in there. Good to know. No ruff running though. I hope it burned clean.

3 Likes