JO´s 8" gasifier

I don’t know about the size mix, but I think maximal active char surface without creating too much drag (vacuum). Whatever that kind of charbed looks like. I don’t know. I was just speculating in the reason to your sudden super performance.

2 Likes

Bob, to be honest I don’t own a pajamas. But it sure is nice to be able to sit inside doing some therapy work while the snowstorms are roaring outside. Armchair, stump, hatchet and a beer. Listening to the chunks falling and counting 10 miles, 20, 30… Wonderful!

10 Likes

" counting 10 miles, 20, 30… Wonderful!"

I do that too :smile: ist so nice to look at a bucket of wood and say “hey, l just spared 10 bucks here”.

8 Likes

At one point in the past, hand splitting my wood with a hatchet, I figured I was splitting at about 70 miles per hour. :blush:

14 Likes

Ha good one Chris you made me laugh :smile:

But seriously now, l find that “mph” a bit low. l am preety sure l at least double that, cutting my split oak firewood with a buzzsaw and hitting each peace 2 times with a hachett. Does your truck burn so much more wood?

3 Likes

Kristian, remember their V8 Dakota gasifiers burn 3-4 times more wood for the same distance.
But of course, European hatchets may also be bit faster :smile:

3 Likes

The Dakota uses wood about as fast as your Rebak :scream:

4 Likes

About[quote=“KristijanL, post:587, topic:1928”]
Does your truck burn so much more wood?
[/quote]

About a pound per mile. Actually the truck I was cutting for burned closer to 1.5 lbs / mile. So, yes.

I never said I was that good with a hatchet either! :grin:

4 Likes

I prefer to think that my wood is tougher than your wood! LOL

2 Likes

That’s pretty fast Chris, but I bet it was some wear on the arm. Lol
Bob

1 Like

The new hachets come from CHINA the only fast things about them are how they are made. Well not mine it’s a good old U.S.A. made one and it older then me. Also with the Union coffee breaks I take that slow my production rate up a bit. You probably have a old favorite hachet made in your home land too. High speed hachets are hard to find, it’s the accessories that are a attached to the handles that make them so fast.
Bob

3 Likes

I had no idea of such high wood consumption!
I usualy use half of that.

As for hatchets, l have 3, one is in the car always, one is in the “office” and one used on the battlefieald. I like this wide blade shaped hachets, they were for makeing roofs or to shape beams out of logs. Generations old.
https://www.google.si/search?q=cimermanka&client=ms-android-samsung&hl=sl-SI&prmd=imvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjW28yPo6rQAhWCUBoKHUJTDnIQ_AUIBygB&biw=320&bih=508#hl=sl-SI&tbm=isch&q=tesarska+sekira&imgrc=pvrdoowT7pYY3M%3A

The handles are ususly bent for left or right hand originaly, or the ear of the axe it self is bent. I like it stright for chunking.
The long, slim blade alows me to sort of crack a wood chunk, then hit it once rightangulary to the cracks and l get lots of chunks without them flying around so much.

5 Likes

That bent hatchet handle looks scary!
I use the “Plumb” brand inherited from my father
It has a nice pistol grip that just feels secure when you have to swing hard to get through a knot

3 Likes

That’s good to know Chris on the old Fire Tube design. I thought you used less wood per mile in 92 Dakota. It all seems to be governed by the Size of engine you are using and the Right Foot, with type of wood and sizes in the mix. Just love this DOW stuff. Keeps me thinking all the time. Never a boring moment. Keep racking up the miles, Right guys!
Bob

4 Likes

It depends on the driving style, and also how heavy you’re loaded. Most of the long trips I took I was pulling a trailer and had plenty of wood onboard. That drops you down some. Yes I pushed it pretty hard too.

Shorter trips, my mileage went down for a different reason… starting and stopping wastes a lot of heat warming up and cooling down. It works fine, but you will definitely use more wood.

5 Likes

Talking miles per pound and weight , don manns tracker weighs about 2500 lbs plus his gasifier before he went too charco’and he was getting allmost TWO miles per pound with his WK gasifier in the back, which the gasifier was some what less weight with less heat recycleing then the dakotas.At least i think he had some what less heat recycleing per weight and HP then the dakotas ??

3 Likes

Ha yes it does look scarry :smile: but when you start makeing beams from logs it all comes clear.

3 Likes

Hi Jan, did the hopper juice freeze at -10 C (14 F)?
Bob

2 Likes

Yes, I felt slush when squeezing my plastic hopper can at that temp. It sat over night.

2 Likes

Never tried to make a beam with a hatchet but I can see that you would have some scuffed knuckles with a straight handle

4 Likes