Joni gas generator, version 8.0 (GJ - 8.0)

That is very open hearted and generous of you TomC.
He is commercial intended. He may not want to be on the Premium side. Just as MattR prefers not to be. Distanced then there can never be any conflict issues muds slung.

Your questions . . . Tom he is not even English as a second language. He is using machine translation. Or a school English learned human translator.

I think you should cut him some slack, man.
I was so unsure of my ability to translate post, that I never did on the Holtz Macht Gas.
Just read and watched Dutch John seamlessly go back and forth German and Dutch with questions, info, and jokes even.

Steve unruh

3 Likes

Old English is hard to understand, now the newer American English-language with all of the other nations adding words we use so very often, plus the slang words, plus native American, and quotes makes our language very hard to understand. We are a melting pot of the world languages. My hat is of to anyone that has picked the American language of to day.
I am still working on mastering it, and I was born in this country.
Bob

5 Likes

Rep; Steve/Robert;

I don’t understand these replies ----- I have stated many times on this sight, the respect I have for anyone who can speak more than one language. Frankly Steve, I have spent way too much time trying to decipher your dissertation because of your unique verbiage. TomC

1 Like

Here try this:
His post number #3 picture as the first to see . . . the first single wall upper jacket slit welded tapered narrowed and welded on just above the air jet line. Inside view.

Post #4 picture tipped over: the same viewed from the bottom up. Outside view.

Post #6 picture now with the added air jacket manifold. Having a slit welded gathered-in lower edge.

Now skip back up to post #5 picture: rotated; showing the square air inlet into the air manifold jacket. You can even see the backside of an air nozzle.

Post #7 picture showing the same. But actually to show the now added fixed legged hanging down grate.

Now up to post #2 picture showing the added flat gutter floor ring plate. WRONG. This is showing a removable unwelded hold-shape forming ring for the jacket welding. s.u.

Last. Post picture #7. “I think” is the inner condensate gutter wall being added. WRONG. The whole inner assembly is being welded into the outer gas can. s.u.

Your questions, were all answered in these pictures. Nothing was hidden.
Just what is your problem man?
Never, ever sent me a PM again. Grump along in your own narrow minded world view.
S.U.

1 Like

Ho ho ho!!! And a Merry Christmas to all. TomC

5 Likes

Hi Joni, it has taken hours of studying your diagram, pictures, watching your videos. I think I see how you welded this all up on this gasifer. It has to be put together in a very orderly matter.
I see you a retainer ring inside your filter barrel holding the cloth in place. Great idea.
You mentioned that the bottom of your filter also is used for concentrates and debris. So do you have a space between the bottom of the filter barrel and the saw dust/wood chips? If so how are you creating that space.
I am still thinking of this great little gasifer you have created. More questions to come.
Bob

1 Like

Friends, I am not posting to your site for premium membership, commercial gain, or the like. Gas generators are my hobby, I do not sell or make them for sale. There are many entrepreneurs in my country who really want to get my work (in most cases for free) but, as I said, only my outdated work becomes publicly available both on your forum and on the forum of Russian speakers.
As far as the “premium” membership goes, I would be happy about that, but just getting there on the basis of general rules, I don’t want to be “exclusive” so let’s leave it as it is for now.
As for the problem of the language barrier, you are right, my English from school is terrible, and I myself speak only the Slavic language group, so I use machine translation.
Best regards, Kolyvan Yevgen

14 Likes

Bobmac,
The gas inlet to the filter is organized tangentially, the lower part of the filter is hollow, the height from the bottom to the grid on which the sawdust is located is approximately 10 cm.The sawdust is located in two layers (15 cm each) and is held by a metal mesh, there is a condensation chamber between the layers of sawdust (10-15 cm). The lower sawdust is large and the upper one is smaller.

6 Likes

Thank you Joni, that gives me a better picture and idea of your filter system.
Bob

1 Like

I would like to remind you once again that everything connected with the eighth series gas generator is no longer a secret.
Also, above the publications, someone asked a question about condensation. My answer is that the condensate from the cooler is carried to the bottom of the filter, where there is a large plug for cleaning.
The condensate from the monorator got into the tank, and after that the water and the combustible sediment were separated, the water got into the beds and the combustible sediment back into the bunker.

8 Likes

Joni; I’m sorry the discussion of a second language came up on your posting. I respect anyone that can speak in more than one language-- whether it is by knowledge or a machine. I can’t! I read back through my posting to you, and I do not see anything about anyone’s English.
I must admit I am still trying to get the connection of the drawing to your build. The two bulges that I am thinking holds char separation screens. TomC

4 Likes

Hi Joni, have you ever tried using more nozzles in your gasifer builds?
Or have you tried pointing all the nozzles to the left, or to the right a little to give it circular motion of air blast in the fire tube?
I have heard of pointing them up a few degrees to help with pyrolysis the wood and help with bridging in the hopper.
Yes I know that this 8.0 (GJ - 8.0) is not your latest version, but it is a proven good build. And it is pretty light weight.
I am trying to design it modular so can be modified internally maybe add the WK touch to it. Just thinking it all in my head for now and putting down on paper.
Bob

1 Like

Hi Bob,
later I lifted the injectors up and it helps with fuel stuck. As for the number of tuyeres, I tried to make 10, and 8, and 5, and even one. There is no dependence on the number of injectors to the quality of the gas, but a clear line is visible regarding the start time and the number of injectors - the fewer injectors, the shorter the time for the gas generator to enter the mode. I will add that in the Russian-language literature there is a description of gasifers with two nozzles per tractor, factory-assembled, for almost 100 cubic meters of gas per hour. Regarding the rotation of the nozzles about the axis - I tried it but did not notice the effect, apparently the gas goes by the least resistance. Based on my experience, regarding the nozzles and their number, the regularity only in their unpaired number (3-5-7) give good results.

9 Likes

Bobmac,
the ninth version of my gasifier is already a bit collapsible. It has a changed number of nozzles, a removable neck, a grate, and another filtration system, but more on that later. I’ll make it a separate topic (GJ - 9.0)

7 Likes

Hi Joni, that makes sense that the more tuyeres you have the longer it takes to get in to the good gas mode. I have 12 tuyeres so I light my gasifer at the charcoal in the center of the fire tube even with the tuyeres, by making a bore hole with my poke rod. It spreads to all the tuyereses fast that way. Yes I have notice the 3, 5, 7 ,9 tuyeres set ups in a lot of gasifer plans. The tuyeres are never pointing at a other tuyere. Looking forward to seeing how you improvement on the (GJ-8.0) design. Thank you for your very knowledgeable input.
Bob

4 Likes

Jodi,
Have you tried double rows of nozzles yet?
Then even numbers of nozzles get up and down staggered.
A tall stationary system technique. Making for a longer hot zone.
Single row even number of many nozzles can be every other up and down pointed too for a similar effect.
S.U.

3 Likes

the recovery zone and everything connected with it is not needed for modern gas generators and I am not engaged in testing outdated technologies, a whole bunch of Soviet literature has been written about gasifiers with recovery zones and all kinds of nozzle combinations, after reading which, I found almost nothing interesting there … I am interested in small dimensions, minimal weight, simplicity of execution and high power due to good gas quality. My goal is not to repeat anyone, but to create a worthy sample with good properties suitable for today, and not rummaging through history …

12 Likes

Understood.
Please do realize we have zero, none, no knowledge of any of the Soviet works.
So we are forced here now in the west to recreate all attempts.
This has been slow with many failures and much frustration.
With the exception of the Swedish and Finn governments back in the 1960’s nothing has been done at all usable to the individual.
Nothing. None. And I stand firm on this declaration.
Out American government published and released F.E.M.A. unit is an embarrassment.
Our Universities research only directed to grand scale impossibility that always fail when brought to commercial levels. As if someone is always inserted into these efforts to bring failure to it. Gas Turbines!! Specially made Stirling heat engines!!! Pahh. Five different West industrial IC engine companies say they have the engines that can eat your gases. White coats insisting fully equipped analysis Labs for full spectrum gas analysis before any engine could possibly be harmed.

So thank you for your answer.
This says many non-productive areas to stop wasting time and efforts onto.
Best Regards
Steve unruh

3 Likes

tumblr_lh5vusJmxV1qfz078o1_400

Japanese woman and gasified bus, source and date unknown.

Japan supported wood gas powered vehicles for many decades . They developed solid long running units . That needed to be refilled frequently . Japanese gasifiers should also be studied .

6 Likes

Looking at the shoes pointed toes, and clothes, this does not look like Japanese to me. Korean would be my guess. Women in all black fit the Korean culture. My two cents. Unless there is a original caption to this picture from the place and date it was taken.
Bob

5 Likes