JO's gasified 92 Volvo

Good job JO … I like it very much .

7 Likes

JO, you build the neatest looking stuff as always. I would dare to take that to church! Did you have to paint the lid or was it the right color to start with?

7 Likes

Thanks guys!
Don, the car is dark blue and the lid is medium blue, but close enough. My thinking was to paint it black, but I’ll keep it as is, for now.

8 Likes

JO Really neat addition to a clean build. TomC

8 Likes

Since you have a little time to kill how about a nice flame job on that truck.

4 Likes

JO, do you have any problems with the gasifier becoming clogged with soot?
I’m wondering if I have way too big holes in my grate, so much smaller pieces fall through and the gas is poorly reduced, and that’s why it goes so badly on larger pieces of wood, and that it gets so hot.
I’ve looked at yours and @Bobmac 's, and you have much denser grate.

3 Likes

Not that I know of. I think most of the flow bypasses the grate anyway and it slips quite a lot.

I don’t get a true vacuum ratio reading, since the rail vacuum is meassured downstream the cooler. I’m using the old Rabbit horisontal posts and they have only 1" connections. The get clogged fast and I will have to replace them.

3 Likes

Haha, not my cup of tea. Believe it or not, but I like to blend in :smile:

4 Likes

Much agree with this J.O.
“Fast is Smooth.”
“And Smooth will be the Fastest in the long run.”
Living a life well and long, is the longest run any of us can do. That is the true game worth the doing.

So quiet fast will always be the sneakiest smoothest route to go.
Become the soft passing, snatching, whoosh-and-gone of an owl; a peregrine falcon. What just happened? Who? What? Where?
Ha! Leave the screeching and posturing flashes to the grandstanding Red-tails and the Eagles
S.U.

5 Likes

Not casting aspersions but on old TV the bad guys always wore dark, indiscreet clothes and hats and Roy Rogers rode in on a blonde horse with pearl handles on the guns in his finely tooled gun belt and a fine saddle.

In truth, I’m more rat rod than hot rod. That was yesterday, and yesterday is gone.

6 Likes

Now you started to show off :grin: now it looks wonderfull! A true sunday ride.

9 Likes

Low temps for a couple weeks. Yesterday morning it was -17C (0F). Wife and I prepared for a 100 mile roundtrip. I lit up no problem and fueled up a full hopper. I drained both tanks at the end of the last ride and I wasn’t expecting any trouble.
BUT - there’s a first time for everything. I cranked up on gasoline and started pulling on the gasifier going down the road. I was surpriced to see I couldn’t register any vacuum on the guages. I thought maybe it was a false reading and the tiny hoses up to the guages were frozen shut - they do collect some condensation from time to time.
I squeezed my air mixing-valve for a couple miles, but was unable to make the temps climb. It was obvious I was plugged somewhere downstream the cooler.
I resigned and the rest of the trip was made on gasoline. It’s my longest trip on gasoline in over five years. (The rental car trip in the US two years ago being the exception.)
Coming home I let the Volvo sit inside the garage over night. This morning, after sleeping on the mishap, I drilled a hole in the lowest spot on the plastic tubing and let a full cup of water out. The second lowest spot is the tennis ball covered slingshot, before climbing up to the motor. It drains automaticly, but the gas flow is obviously not enough to keep the first one dry.
The tubing with the drilled hole now have a rag stripe bandage around it and will hopefully drain automaticly down the road as well.

My basement mistress is hungry these days. Stay warm and BBB.

12 Likes

Thanks for the picture JO . I had to put my coat on while looking.

71F here today and 72 for the next couple days .

8 Likes

That is a beautiful picture I would expect to see in a Thomas kincade puzzle or calenders. Temps are fluctuating wildly here like normal, a few hard freezers followed by 50+ days and nights. Few snow flurries up on the hills around me but nothing wild yet, won’t be long and we will get back into our freezing nightly thawing morning patterns. Honestly one of my favorite times of year the crispness in the morning air and the silence, I love it. And even thought the chevotafire has a great working heater now when I pull it into the shop it radiats heat😁 did you ever have such freezing problems with the Mazda or rabbit? Making me second guess having some more drains in the lower piping for frozen days

4 Likes

Wayne, that’s thinking chair temp :smile:
Fergie and I have been in the woods for a couple days extracting a few knocked down sawlog pines. The only upside to low temps, apart from a rock solid ground, is that you’ll be back home a lot quicker. As soon as you slow down, toes and fingers remind you to keep going wide open.

Marcus, since they have no slingshots, I drilled holes right away and put small screws in, like Wayne suggested.
With the springloaded tennisball on the Volvo slingshot I thought I could do without a hole in the upstream low spot. I was obviously wrong.
It seems there’s a good reason many Nordic systems still use “over the roof” gas delivery.

6 Likes

I have contemplated this for a off road gassifier build, a true woods beater truck. It could easily I think be blended in as a external roll cage which is extensively used around here for serious “wheeler” build vehicle, commonly Suzuki samurai and Toyota pickup and 4runner or “jimmy” “Hilux” and “surf” as the rest of the world calls then
Screenshot_20211202-080823
Screenshot_20211202-080642
Yep, I think talented fabricators like we have here on the DOW could make that blend right in. Good high air flow for cooling, slow speeds not needing headwind bucking efforts. Are these types of vehicles built and used over there?

6 Likes

Yes, of course but I doubt an off-road vehicle just for fun would be of much use to me personally though :smile:
I would like to be able to stealthy gasify something like a small delivery van. However not many older vehicles to choose from and ufortunately modern engines are tiny and have too many bells and whistles.

6 Likes

It does seem you guys are very limited in choice, where as junk yards here are still full of 50’s, 60’s,70’s and on up V8 powered monsters that have no value to most people not wanting to pay that fuel cost. Yet the market is through the roof for them since dealers are sitting empty with no new vehicle to sell. Chip shortage and all, our automotive industry seems in dire distress. My V10 I purchased for 1000$, and put about 500$ into repairs. Now those trucks are selling for 3-7000$! Makes me very seriously think of doing a smaller engine like your Mazda or Volvo that would be super street friendly. But I like the aspect of storage and passenger space and a small box truck would do both with room to conceal the system. I like the track @SteveUnruh is on with his box truck big displacement big horsepower and torque motor, very easily made under the radar. I think we are a little privilege over here with those power plants at our disposal and popularity of aftermarket goods for them. Imagine 700hp 6.0 LS goodness stuffed under the hood of a Volvo??
https://youtu.be/UCbweJpl2og
Little off topic and beyond woodgas capability I’m sure, but could be done natural aspirated, system in the back and walled off like Bob is planning with his jeep. Still seat 6 and comfy Volvo ride in style cruiser suspension. Roof rack look alike cooler, Man I really want to build a wagon haha ok I’m done rambling :joy:

4 Likes

My trucks always had a rack on them, Marcus. Hauling materials and ladders. I always thought that if I built a wood gas truck I’d just do the cooling rails in the rack. I’ve had them extend over the hood and anchor to the front bumper. Perfect to just tap into the engine compartment. I’m sure you have seen lots of service trucks with a big compressor tank mounted high. I’m sure I could build a gasifier that no one would know wasn’t just a large tool box or fuel tank. Not really necessary in this state. YET.

5 Likes

Norman the 21st century vehicle gasifer guys separate out into three groupings:

Emissions Inspections (laws, regulations) what is that??

Yes. Yes. We have those. But We have exemption if, “Older than . . . " " Manufactured before . . .”

Ohh. Yeah. We get Emissions and Safety&Fittness inspected e-v-e-r-y year. Are not we lucky?!
Mr. Must-Work-DOT-Complient; you know this world well.
S.U.

5 Likes