JO's Homemade Skidder

I like the ball hitch at the front. Makes horsing trailers around a lot easier!

3 Likes

It makes it look like he is almost on the ball. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

We had a ball on the front of a narrow frontend H when I was a kid you could put a trailer anywhere with that.

3 Likes

What Don sayd! I like that too!

Ha, @JO_Olsson, after Argos l am sure you will be sifting charcoal first thing when coming back home :smile:

2 Likes

J.O.,
Based on the enthusiastic interest shown , please start a new thread for this lovely new beastie! :grinning:

2 Likes

Maybe @Chris could start one and include posts, starting with 1850? If he gets the time between diapers :smile:

I wish I had. If I lived even more rural I would probably accept all gifts I’m offered :smile: Neighbours often offer me treassures on there way to the junkyard, but I have to turn most of them down.

My spare part/junk Mazda donated it.
It has already been useful the way you describe :smile:

4 Likes

Done!

Nice work JO…

7 Likes

I love it.

more characters.

3 Likes

I got a couple questions about my health and wereabouts. I’m just fine, but just like Kristijan, I’ve been super busy lately and haven’t found the time to post much.
During our US stay father-in-law’s cancer condition worsened with a mild stroke, which pretty much put him to bed. Wife stays put at their farm 50 miles away and I try to run inbetween to maintain both properties (burning a lot of wood doing so).

While back home I’m mostly into forestry at the moment. Parked the two-wheel tractor when I stumbeled on some 24" dia timber. Had to bring in the heavy equipment (20 hp Fergie :smile: ).
I’m the little guy with the chainsaw on top of that spruce. For comparison the tractor trailer has standard car tires.
My father (the great grandfather) helped out and is striking a pose on the last pic :smile:

14 Likes

Looks like you are going to have a lot of boards to do something with come fall. To bad the last picture didn’t come out as sharp as the others. The grass is so green and the hot house and your saw mill, yea and your father. Good to see it isn’t snow all year round. I was concerned about your health. Thanks for the pictures.

8 Likes

That’s some real nice evidence material (pictures). I see you are having fun! How is the skidder performing? Video?

7 Likes

Kristijan, the log arch needs bigger tires to be helpful in this terrain. Too much deep soft moss.

7 Likes

It appears you have a lot of slashings etc. that the tires have to get over. How about a walking beam on the log arch. TomC

3 Likes

Tom, I’m not quite sure what you mean by a walking beam.
I do use the arch as a leverage tool for loading the tractor trailer from time to time, if that’s what you mean.

2 Likes

I think you have a walking beam axle on the trailer that your Dad made.

1 Like

I was wondering about that myself. I like big semi truck sized tires on a log arch. Especially for horses. Small tires can let an arch flip over too easily and can hurt horses… Never used one with a tractor though.

Also, I don’t see the hopper on that thing.???
Billy

4 Likes

Aha! Thanks Jeff. What we call “boggie axle”.

That would help, only I like to be able to lift the arch in place by hand to straddle a log. Something like lightweight motorbike tires would fit my needs.
Haha! Your right, no hopper. Yet :smile:

3 Likes

Never seen anything like that before.

3 Likes

Also, is that a Sthil chainsaw? I would have expected to see a Husqvarna.?

3 Likes

Haha, I’ve got several old Husqvarna (Swedish quality :smile: ). The little Sthil saw was a present from wifes family when I turned 40 I think. Very lightweight. Perfect for delimbing.

5 Likes