JO's Homemade Skidder

I’ve secretly doing some tinkering lately.
My homemade skidder needed a small horse. Smaller than the Fergie. So, I decided to fabricate one. Good thing is I didn’t need to buy a single item. I used up a few welding rods and cutting discs, thats all. The rest was junk/treassures laying around.

22 Likes

Nice looks like you could sneak that through the woods without much of a path at all.

5 Likes

Dan,
I have a lot if trees down in the edges of the clearcutting area. Stumps and rocky terrain makes it hard for the old Fergie. I hope to be able to use this machine to collect the the logs.

5 Likes

Well if it doesn’t do the job you will have to raise a team of oxen.

5 Likes

You’re having too much fun, Jan-ola :blush:

5 Likes

That looks like fun

Please post some closeups of the “horse” , looks like a roto tiller on steroids!

5 Likes

Haha l had a feeling you are up to something :smile: looks great! Only thing missing is a charcoal gasifier :grin:

6 Likes

You know that JO, will be planning the Dark Side of char to run it. It has charcoal written all over it. May be a hybred gasifier.
Bob

2 Likes

Michael,
The 7hp Briggs and the axle are probably from a rototiller or a snowblower. 5-speed+R gearbox from a lawnmower tractor and tires from my former old Volvo.
Belt drive from motor to gearbox, with tensioner acting as clutch. Motorcycle chaindrive from gearbox to input screw into the axle. Leftover cut out domes from propane tanks act as “hubs” for the rims.

@Bobmac and @KristijanL,
I agree, it’s a good charcoal candidate. We’ll see what the future brings. Screen out some fines and I can probably run from what the Mazda produces.

10 Likes

Wow
That is Some impressive engineering and fabrication.

Does the chain drive provide the torque resistance for the wheels?
I could not see any braces to the final gear drive.

3 Likes

Thanks Michael,
I fixed the lengthwise driveshaft with a bearing into the front of the U-beam frame I welded. That’s the only bracing there is. Bearings in the gear will have to manage the torque. The gear is too small and with nowhere to attach additional bracing.

4 Likes

Wow! You must have an amazing “junk yard” on your property. If I went to my local commercial junk yard, I would never be able to find all those wonderful pieces. Seeing all that “stuff” in a junk pile and being able to visualize it all put together into such a workable machine took a real engineer. Good job. TomC

8 Likes

I like the ball hitch at the front. Makes horsing trailers around a lot easier!

3 Likes

It makes it look like he is almost on the ball. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

We had a ball on the front of a narrow frontend H when I was a kid you could put a trailer anywhere with that.

3 Likes

What Don sayd! I like that too!

Ha, @JO_Olsson, after Argos l am sure you will be sifting charcoal first thing when coming back home :smile:

2 Likes

J.O.,
Based on the enthusiastic interest shown , please start a new thread for this lovely new beastie! :grinning:

2 Likes

Maybe @Chris could start one and include posts, starting with 1850? If he gets the time between diapers :smile:

I wish I had. If I lived even more rural I would probably accept all gifts I’m offered :smile: Neighbours often offer me treassures on there way to the junkyard, but I have to turn most of them down.

My spare part/junk Mazda donated it.
It has already been useful the way you describe :smile:

4 Likes

Done!

Nice work JO…

7 Likes

I love it.

more characters.

3 Likes