Wood supply

I took some college classes on industrial maintenance, one was hydraulics. It can get very tricky designing a system, many variables with gpm vs pressure. Log splitter valves are self centering or auto return after the cycle, with adjustable detents, and pressure relief valves.

4 Likes

Thanks Bob I definitely don’t plan on letting it get empty like that again I paid a high price burning green wood or scrounged around for dead standing because I hadn’t had time to split my wood in advance recently. Sometimes life reminds you that planing ahead is time well spent.

5 Likes

And I always get a charge every time I see my full dry wood pile

6 Likes

Neighbor had a couple of 30” dead alder trees that will give me lots of wood chunks and firewood

14 Likes

Wonderful pic, Michael!
Shave that stump down and you’ll have another couple hoppers.

5 Likes

18 posts were split to a new topic: JO’s Homemade Skidder

This really doesn’t belong in this thread but I tried to reach out to @kev to see if I could see his truck more in depth, but the personal message is not working. I was wondering since I live in wisconsin from what I understand not too far away. I did not get a chance to ask you where you are in Wisconsin, but I don’t would like to see your truck again. Thanks, Tyler.

1 Like

Having stored wood is like money in the bank :grinning:

The weather is not right for me to be in the hay field so the wife and I chunked a little wood and put it in the shed for drying .

IMG_0900IMG_0902IMG_0904

8 Likes

wouldn’t mind knowing that myself. I think i will be making a trip to WI soon. Wonder if it’s along the way.

2 Likes

I weighed some wood this morning . The below pic is Ron Lemler wood at 15 pounds per 5 gallon bucket .

IMG_0915

My chunked oak at 14 pounds per bucket .

IMG_0916

My chunked pine at 12 pounds per bucket

IMG_0917

Fast drying after chunking . The pine that I have been driving on this week JO and Kristijan help chunk the week before .

10 Likes

Now you can fill the buck back up with waste oil and improve your range… I often think a good method of using it us definitely needed.

2 Likes

Has anyone seen @kev lately? I’ve tried to message him but it is not working and he is not responding on this thread.

1 Like

Thanks Wayne K on the weights per pale. my junk white pine dried out around here is about 9 pounds a bucket level or little over maybe 10 pounds after dryed out good, with this years weather outlook it may be slow drying up here in michigan its barely been warm enough too leave the coat off, and it has been record brakeing rain forcast.

4 Likes

Kev was at Argos. TomC

3 Likes

Hi Tyler I responded to your email in must not have gone through for some reason. I live in Waterford in Racine County. We can probably set something up somewhere down the line.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, I searched all over and I could not even find the ones I sent you let alone the ones you sent back! Ok, sounds good, I just figured since we live relatively close (48 mile drive from Menomenee falls) I could get another chance to see it. Thanks, Tyler.

1 Like

I have a question for Mr Wayne and all using band saws. What is the targeted speed of the band? Is it wery important?

3 Likes

You can find information on optimal tooth speed for saws. It will be expressed in distance per minute. There is a material limit for any saw tooth. Too fast and heat will be excessive and not dissipate. A major factor in bandsaw blade life is how many times it goes around the pulleys, so you want an optimal effective speed that does the work while bending the blade the least number of times.

This article gives the basic information.

4 Likes

That is a great forum for wood working information.

2 Likes

Hello Kristijan

At one time I knew what speed the blade was running but have forgotten now . I was thinking maybe between 60 - 70 miles per hour.

I think you would do best to follow advise and link that Garry gave .

3 Likes