Wood supply

Wonderful short sleave weather in high 60s. One batch predried for a couple days on the trailer and then put into the drying cribs. Another fresh batch is steaming off from the small 5X11 foot trailer. Living the dream I’ve had every night all winter :smile:

10 Likes

I guess wood chunking is way more effective and cheaper than psychotherapy. :grin:

5 Likes

Mr. Wayne, your pieces of log splits, appear to be shorter than 8 ft. How long will your wood splitter handle??TomC

1 Like

I have no doubt a little sweat from working with wood could treat most conditions. Unless the diagnosis is wood addiction :smile:

8 Likes

Hello Mr. Tom .

The wood splitter will open to 26 inches . The splits you see in the picture are 18 -24 inches long .

3 Likes

Trying to lead grandson in the right direction.

13 Likes

Thank you for a FUN walk in the woods

3 Likes

Well I am making progress 3 of the 4 long rows in my shed are full. My new MS261 cut about 6 cord of wood and then it was broke in and the carb needs adjusting. I messed with it some over the weekend and cried uncle today it is back at the dealer for a tune up. The bad news there is they have a 2 week backlog of work for the shop so I won’t be seeing that saw for a while. Looks like I might be finishing the year with my MS460 I was trying to avoid. The new bar and chain for that saw should be here tomorrow I think.
Well if I get that shed full I will know what 16 cords of wood looks like. I am pretty sure I put 4 cord below the floor and I know it holds 12 above the floor I measured that out years ago to verify my grandfathers estimate. He always said that shed would hold one cord per month for the cook stove. Fortunately for me I don’t have to cook on the old cook stove or I would never get enough wood…

7 Likes

Hey Dan,
If the 261 is not locked up parked in the shop . . .
try removing and decarbonizing the exhaust muffler/spark arrestor.
It’s in the owners manual.
The new Stihl equipment seems to exhaust carbons clog much more quickly than the older models.
Especially if you use their Eco-friendly oil!
S.U.

4 Likes

Thanks Steve I will definitely look into that tonight in the manual but I left the saw in the shop maybe it isn’t important but I felt I should have the first service done there for the warranty just to be on the safe side.

3 Likes

We have finally had several weeks of 70 deg temps. Wood measures about 10% so I bagged up over 60 5 gallon buckets. Feed bags hold 3 buckets and so now my bagged and ready to go stockpile is in the order of 250 5 gallon buckets = equivalent to 250 gallons of Dino. And I still have about 50 buckets in the drying bins

17 Likes

This retired life is keeping you pretty busy. In a year from now, you will scratch your head and think how did you ever have time to work at your old job. Good job on your stock pipe. It puts me to shame. Lol
Bob

5 Likes

More wood under the shed drying :grinning:

IMG_0815

6 Likes

That looks great Wayne!!!
I have been working on my wood shed it is getting close to full. I have a forester who manages my wood lot and he picked out hard maple which was scrap wood for my fire wood he did a great job making sure to keep the valuable lumber growing and opened up to grow better. Anyway I found this one log which was clearly struck by lightning it is all charcoal in the scare that healed over amazing to split it open and find that. Just something you don’t see every day.

6 Likes

Very nice splitter !
Did ya build or buy it?

1 Like

I bought it used and abuse and have taken it all appart to replace the seals in the cylinder and just the other day had to weld the wedge back on. It is a case ingersoll splitter.

That case ingersoll 448 garden tractor has had a motor swap with a 10hp Chinese diesel air cooled. The case ingersoll garden tractors are really cool because the motor is coupled to a hydraulic pump and the drive wheels are powered by a hydraulic motor so if you don’t care about the mower deck or snow blower you can swap the motor by simply mounting the pump on a different motor and it will run and you get a portable hydraulic system.
Here are some photos from when I took it all appart.
I have to say that is probably the fastest hydraulic splitter I have ever used. Not because of the cylinder speed it isn’t really fast the tractor has a 12 gpm pump. But the bidirectional nature of it make it so fast even having an automatic return valve on my single direction splitter it can’t keep up with the fact that you don’t waste any cylinder motion on the ingersoll.

9 Likes

Thanks for the pics!
I like the tractor as well, Diesel… nice :grin:

My old Ford 120 (12hp Kohler) is Hydro Static I think it may have an output on the pump… Think I remember a plug that looked like an accessory port. Have to a closer look tomorrow.

Right there with ya on the splitter design, Probably 8 years ago my neighbor and I built one along those lines… Unfortunately, neither of us know any thing about hydraulics… As a result it split great in one direction but in the other is was useless.
Don’t really know for sure why, Someone said it was the wrong kind of Cylinder ?
So after all that extra work it’s still a one way splitter :slight_smile:
Still curious what the proper cylinder is… But not that curious, “Not my circus and not my monkeys” :slight_smile:
What’s the model number on the splitter? I’d like to look up a manual just for chucks.
Thanks!

Edit…
I found a link to the Manual

3 Likes

I think it is just labeled Ingersoll hysplit. It is an old unit from the 80s for sure.
As to the splitter any double action cylinder will work just fine in both directions. I would guess your problem is in the control valve. I have done alot of hydraulics on my farm equipment and added complete systems to my two allis Chalmers D series tractors. But that said there is something very odd about the control valve on the case splitter it is the only hydraulic valve I have used that has a directional requirement to how you hook it into my tractors. I mean normally if you hook up a remote hydraulic device backwards to dual hydraulic systems the device simply works backwards. But for some reason if you plumb the flow backward to that splitter it will go really slow in one direction and ok in the other. If I remember correctly the cylinder will extend normal but retract slow. Swap the lines and it is back to normal. Every other device I have ever seen is not like that including my double acting cylinder on my single direction wood splitter. Like I said the behavior of the control valve on the case ingersoll splitter is something I can’t explain.

2 Likes

Oh with hydrostatic be very careful. I think you are correct that there is a way to tap into the fords but hydrostatic systems are different then hydraulic pump and hydraulic motor systems. I am not sure what the pressure ratings and flow ratings are. If I remember correctly some hydrostatic systems don’t like running hydraulic cylinders.

3 Likes

Wow,
That sounds worth trying… I’ll let him know about.
Thanks!