Wood supply

Good to know,
I haven’t seen it being used on any of the other F 120’s I’ve run across.
That may be the reason :frowning:
Thanks

2 Likes

“I think” here is the problem.
Most PTO tractor sources one line is strictly the pressure-power delivery side. The other line is a hydraulic fluid return line.
So hoses connecting into the tractor valving has to reflect this; and be “polarized” properly.
On self engine powered equipment the valving usually allows for pressure-power delivery thru two ways as needed, with a dedicated “return-to-reservoir” line re-directing tru the valving body.
I fought this too.
The manual Terry put up, hints to this are on that page 21 some-valves-needing modifications.
Shame the manual does not included hydraulic flow diagrams to clarify this.
S.U.

5 Likes

Steve you could be onto something but here is the really odd thing to me and I can’t explain it. I had that case ingersoll wood splitter hooked up to the rear remote on my open center allis Chalmers D17 and it would retract really slow but extend ok. I flipped the direction of the spool valve on the tractor the direction of the splitter flipped but the behavior was the same. Then I flipped the hoses on the tractor and the direction on the splitter was correct and the speed was correct. Near as I can tell there is some sort of bypass in the splitter valve that didn’t like reverse flow.

Oh it was a good day here I finished filling my wood shed 16 cords to fill a 12 cord shed because I emptied it 4 cord below the floor which hasn’t happened since the house was built in 1901.

That last one is the area behind the stair to the shed chamber where I keep fire starter

7 Likes

Now Dan, all you have to do is keep it full and you will be ready for the next cold winter coming. Good job done.
Bob

2 Likes

I took some college classes on industrial maintenance, one was hydraulics. It can get very tricky designing a system, many variables with gpm vs pressure. Log splitter valves are self centering or auto return after the cycle, with adjustable detents, and pressure relief valves.

4 Likes

Thanks Bob I definitely don’t plan on letting it get empty like that again I paid a high price burning green wood or scrounged around for dead standing because I hadn’t had time to split my wood in advance recently. Sometimes life reminds you that planing ahead is time well spent.

5 Likes

And I always get a charge every time I see my full dry wood pile

6 Likes

Neighbor had a couple of 30” dead alder trees that will give me lots of wood chunks and firewood

14 Likes

Wonderful pic, Michael!
Shave that stump down and you’ll have another couple hoppers.

5 Likes

18 posts were split to a new topic: JO’s Homemade Skidder

This really doesn’t belong in this thread but I tried to reach out to @kev to see if I could see his truck more in depth, but the personal message is not working. I was wondering since I live in wisconsin from what I understand not too far away. I did not get a chance to ask you where you are in Wisconsin, but I don’t would like to see your truck again. Thanks, Tyler.

1 Like

Having stored wood is like money in the bank :grinning:

The weather is not right for me to be in the hay field so the wife and I chunked a little wood and put it in the shed for drying .

IMG_0900IMG_0902IMG_0904

8 Likes

wouldn’t mind knowing that myself. I think i will be making a trip to WI soon. Wonder if it’s along the way.

2 Likes

I weighed some wood this morning . The below pic is Ron Lemler wood at 15 pounds per 5 gallon bucket .

IMG_0915

My chunked oak at 14 pounds per bucket .

IMG_0916

My chunked pine at 12 pounds per bucket

IMG_0917

Fast drying after chunking . The pine that I have been driving on this week JO and Kristijan help chunk the week before .

10 Likes

Now you can fill the buck back up with waste oil and improve your range… I often think a good method of using it us definitely needed.

2 Likes

Has anyone seen @kev lately? I’ve tried to message him but it is not working and he is not responding on this thread.

1 Like

Thanks Wayne K on the weights per pale. my junk white pine dried out around here is about 9 pounds a bucket level or little over maybe 10 pounds after dryed out good, with this years weather outlook it may be slow drying up here in michigan its barely been warm enough too leave the coat off, and it has been record brakeing rain forcast.

4 Likes

Kev was at Argos. TomC

3 Likes

Hi Tyler I responded to your email in must not have gone through for some reason. I live in Waterford in Racine County. We can probably set something up somewhere down the line.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, I searched all over and I could not even find the ones I sent you let alone the ones you sent back! Ok, sounds good, I just figured since we live relatively close (48 mile drive from Menomenee falls) I could get another chance to see it. Thanks, Tyler.

1 Like