Wood supply

I weighed some wood this morning . The below pic is Ron Lemler wood at 15 pounds per 5 gallon bucket .

IMG_0915

My chunked oak at 14 pounds per bucket .

IMG_0916

My chunked pine at 12 pounds per bucket

IMG_0917

Fast drying after chunking . The pine that I have been driving on this week JO and Kristijan help chunk the week before .

10 Likes

Now you can fill the buck back up with waste oil and improve your range… I often think a good method of using it us definitely needed.

2 Likes

Has anyone seen @kev lately? I’ve tried to message him but it is not working and he is not responding on this thread.

1 Like

Thanks Wayne K on the weights per pale. my junk white pine dried out around here is about 9 pounds a bucket level or little over maybe 10 pounds after dryed out good, with this years weather outlook it may be slow drying up here in michigan its barely been warm enough too leave the coat off, and it has been record brakeing rain forcast.

4 Likes

Kev was at Argos. TomC

3 Likes

Hi Tyler I responded to your email in must not have gone through for some reason. I live in Waterford in Racine County. We can probably set something up somewhere down the line.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot, I searched all over and I could not even find the ones I sent you let alone the ones you sent back! Ok, sounds good, I just figured since we live relatively close (48 mile drive from Menomenee falls) I could get another chance to see it. Thanks, Tyler.

1 Like

I have a question for Mr Wayne and all using band saws. What is the targeted speed of the band? Is it wery important?

3 Likes

You can find information on optimal tooth speed for saws. It will be expressed in distance per minute. There is a material limit for any saw tooth. Too fast and heat will be excessive and not dissipate. A major factor in bandsaw blade life is how many times it goes around the pulleys, so you want an optimal effective speed that does the work while bending the blade the least number of times.

This article gives the basic information.

4 Likes

That is a great forum for wood working information.

2 Likes

Hello Kristijan

At one time I knew what speed the blade was running but have forgotten now . I was thinking maybe between 60 - 70 miles per hour.

I think you would do best to follow advise and link that Garry gave .

3 Likes

Interesting to me that Suffolk and Cooks say different considering each of their proclaimed benefits over the other. It may be the case that they are both right. They have different grades of blades also. And differences for hardwoods and soft and evergreens…There is even a special blade for pecan wood that we like to use on pecan, hickory and gum woods. And cheaper blades we use for loblolly (southern yellow pine). Thanks for the link. I will use it.

4 Likes

Mother Nature put a lot of wood on the ground in Wisconsin, hope you did not get hit to hard Tom

3 Likes

I didn’t get hit at all, but Crivitz east of us and Mountain west had a mass of trees and limbs down. Daughter in law in Green Baycalled and said trees down taking out electricity for 90 thousand customers. It rained so hard, many basements flooded. Dnl had a generator to keep her sump pump running, but the pump burned out. Had to drive all over town to find a new one. Stores said everyone’s is burning out. She didn’t want to run the generator in the house, so she put it on the porch and left the door open a crack for the elect cable. She could see people out prowling around with flash lights. She feared looters, so she sat in the doorway all night with a baseball bat. TomC

12 Likes

Wow To continue; Water is still seeping into the basement so she is running the generator. No electricity to the house yet and it may be a couple of days. How long will that little generator keep running with a constant load. It take a gallon of gas every two hours. Yesterday was sunny so the water leak should slow or stop, although her back yard is low and the ground is saturated. TomC

3 Likes

It is summer in Alabama and is hot but we are going wide open :grinning:

8 Likes

That is an AWSUM pile of chunks, and in the morning?
That would take me a week

7 Likes

Early morning excercise before temp reaches the 90F mark.
Going to work at the mill in the afternoon, 120-140F in there. Some of you might love it. I don’t :sweat:

16 Likes

Thanks for the video Jo.
Keep posting.

5 Likes

Wow thats woodgas paradice! No wonder you say you have to much motorfuel and not enough places to go :wink:

8 Likes