Leitinger wood gasifier

Hi Kristijan ,

What Jan and Richard said ! cant wait for the next exciting instalment keep em coming .

Dave

3 Likes

Thanks for the thumbs up guys!

Ok, l got half the cooler done today, half tomorow.

I was thinkig alot about filtration.

Hot filters are great. For a metal intake manifold. They keep the coolers clean but soot still breaks free trugh them, causeing buildups in intake manifold. If you can burn it out, great. If you cant, well, it realy is a pain in the sitting organ.

So, l decided to go somewhere else. Good old hayfilter, but combined with a bubbler (some Youtube videos, includeing @ALLIWANT2DOISFPV showing his sistem, made big interast to me) and a venturi scrubber.

It may look complicated, but actualy is very simple and cheap.

Gas first flows trugh the venturi ejector, where it mixes wirh water droplets. Pass upstream, then down trugh ss pads, where soot can be collected with water droplets. Both water and gas pass a water reseroar, gas bubbles up towards the top. Water gets reused and gas filters its self in a conventional hayfilter.
After this, the gas shuld be clean enough. If not, l have space for one more, a towel filter, like l used in my Seat.

l got the barrel today, 30l fits great in the alubox. Allso gives some buffer in terms of gas quality. Not as much as most of you guys use, but a lot more thain zero wich l had before.

At low throttle, there likely wuldnt be much of the venturi effect in the ejector. Doesent matter! The filter shuld still be wet enough, allso at idle there is a lot less dust sucked from the gasifier. Plus, the bubbler shuld catch soot no matter the gas consumption.

Question to you guys. What do you think the venturi throat diameter shuld be without dragging the gas stream too much?

l was thinking thinking to start with 1" or 25mm. Maybee a bit smaller.

3 Likes

Hi, Kristijan!

When looking at the 3 treshhold levels of water, it seems like you should have forgotten that velocity needs a substantial pressure difference to get diffusion in the innermost “throat”.
Between 2nd and 3d (seen from center) treshhold, there needs to be a “convincing” difference to guarantee that no backstream
(or shortcut) developes.

A thought exercise: In which stages of cleaning and service do you
want to spread 5 liters of soot? 10, 20 liters…?

1 Like

True, so at idle or highidle this shuld happen

as you see, shortcuts are impossible as long as water level is sufficient.
Then, when sufficient vacuum is created, the venturi shuld kick in. At the time where its most neaded.

On soot acumulation, the anwser is simple. In the water under the hay. At least thats the plan.
l never drive more thain 150km drives in one go. Based on my current experiances, l collected maybee a cup of soot/1000km of driveing on the hot filter cloth.
The water l plan to change dayly. Mr. SteveU might shake his head reading this, but as far as l understand, the filter water shuld be nothing but water, soot (biochar+other usefull minerals) and traces of wood winegar, all three people give to plants as nutrients. And l have a big garden :wink:
If l am mistakeing, plese do correct me!
90% of my drives are 40km long, home-work-home. I highly dubt in 40 km so much soot accumulates in about 3l of water to clogg anything up.
Drain a couple of liters of water and put it back isnt so catastrophic amount of work.

Its true, l flow in uncharted waters, but the best thing is if none of this works, l still have a classic and prooven hayfilter :slight_smile:

3 Likes

hi, Kristijan!

There is still no significant level difference between circle 2 and circle 3!!!
You have to lower level 2 significantly!

Max, l am a bit lost here. What exactly do you mean?

Hi, Kristijan!

Has the light come up?

l think :slight_smile:
You mean the venturi sucking in gas bubbles instead of water?

1 Like

Hi, Kristijan!

The venturi passage will flow gas backward (through the water-holes) and under cylinder 2 instead of going up into the ringfilter and comming down, bubbling under cylinder 3 and up…into your hay-filter…

So, this can be avoided if cylinder 2 goes significantly lower than cylinder 3.
Then cylinder 3 has less diving depth to overcome than cylinder 2.
Clear?

3 Likes

Yes, l got it.
This will all have to be made in a way all dimensions can be adjusted to find good performance

3 Likes

Kristijan , I suspect that you are in contact with a certain Nicolas Teslas!
I think that your idea, of water filter, is of genius , :wink:

2 Likes

Not sure if the bubbler is as effective as it is a restriction. Ever fart in a bathtub? But the two wet precipatator filters should work well and be self cleaning and all carry the soot away with the condensate. I also sent problems with cold weather. Just my 2 cents

4 Likes

Hi, Kristijan!

When you get the “cylinder 2” reaching 5 – 10 cm deeper in the water than “cylinder 3”, all gas goes through your ringfilter between no:2 and no:3, even at slow idle.

There is really no point to have any bubbling under “number 2”.
It is only an emergency route if your ringfilter gets clogged.

The weakest point is at the small waterholes in the diffusor throat; it should be reachable also on the road.

A ringfilter between the “cylinder 2” and the diffusor can save from a lot of trouble… in the water flow.

3 Likes

Trigaux,
Ha! Nikola Teslas indeed! Gentlemen from this site :wink: I strongly suspect this site has the highest IQ averige of all forums in the web :grinning:

Jim,

Yes, it shuld be a bit of a restriction. About 2" of water collum. I do not plan to go any deeper.
On winter problems l am with you. But no problem! If l use no water in winter, condensate shuld self produce in a operating sistem. If l drain the condensate after each drive, no problem shuld occur.

Afterall, the traditional hayfilter is still there.

2 Likes

Or various salts, (chemical fertilizer) or sugars, or other biologically friendly compounds could be used to lower the freezing point, after use the contaminated water could be thrown in a compost pile, which should also effectively neutralize contaminants.

3 Likes

On Nicola Teslas :wink:

4 Likes

l have learned by now every woodgas project has two major extasy stages. First one is the wery first flare. The other, eaven bigger is the engine runing.
Well, l reached the first today. https://youtu.be/EJeAWbFE63g

9 Likes

Wow, nice flare Kristijan!
Last was from a pipe, second from the cyclone outlet but what was the very first? It was hard to see in the dark.

2 Likes

That was great Kristijan, build up a good char bed and that flare will be all blue and ready to burn that woodgas in your car engine. BBB
Bob

1 Like

Hey Kristijan

I believe your gas is asking for a motor :grinning:

3 Likes