Life goes on (original thread)

Maybe you did fix it ?? I just uploaded the picture to my new blog and it worked fine so I know the java script etc is OK … I’ll try here as well … and THEN will read your e-mail … Remember that my father and most of my senior relatives went to fight the book burning nazis and japs back when … Every time I feel censored I have to give them credit for taking them on and give the other folks a ration of crap … Heck, they just picked one of our congressmen, Paul Ryan to run as vice prez … He’s a nice guy but remember that McCarthy was also from Wisconsin and many people were needlessly persecuted as communists and suffered because of that guy … He looks like something from the early 60’s … Read the book of Mormon when you get a chance and understand the the difference between Lamanites and Nephites … Excuse my spelling as I haven’t read it since 1977 but I read it twice back then … That’s my 2 cents on that … This is an open topic so I am not off topic … Sorry I could not make it to Madison but will try to catch you next time … Let’s see if the pic makes it this time ??? … Nope !! … I don’t know what is up but maybe you have run out of disk space or the such ?? Let’s see if Steve U can upload a picture … Mike

Hi MikeL and All
Just pretty much busy here working up firewood. SHOULD be putting it INSIDE the wood shed already dried wood but the last three years been having to leave it out until October to try and dry it more. All of the rain you “easterners” did not get has been landing here in May, June and July. North Pacific jet stream occilation they say. Read a book about David Douglas plant surveying here back in the 1820’s, 30’s and he was complaining about the same thing this time of year. So not a new thing at all.
Only have been having a summer now for the last 1 1/2 weeks - still having to wear rubber boots the first half of the day for the evening soaking dew downs.
Mike stupid me I went ahead and had an old worn out tooth extracted just before this now favorable weather change. Using my energy now for wedging splitting and wood moving out into the sunnier spots and it ain’t healing properly - kinnda worrisome.
Good news is I bought an engine driven welder-generator and been tearing it down to plan out woodgasing this system. Last three years out gardens yeilds have plumetted due to lack of dryness and sun. I will be upgrading out greenhouse and getting serious about going back to heating and lighting it all winter. Pictures and comments later when I have time to make a plan.

Pictures test for now:
A local road side Dodge Dakota for sale
Kubota D1005 watercooled engine on a Kubota brand zero skid mower showing they believe, YES YOU CAN TO take all power off if the front of the engine crank PTO hub.
My latest log that I am fire wood working up. Yep fellows what would have been before the Clinton/Gore era a $1.000 dollar 44" saw/peeler log. Now a cull tree with all of the big old regional mill shut downs. They only now want 5" to 30" OD’s in lengths up 40 feet now for the new laser guided CNC mills.

Regards
Steve Unruh

Oh boy, I get to go back on the road for a week. So this is going to through a wrench into my schedualing. But its for a good cause, my repacement had to be rushed to the hospital early this morning out in Hartford Ct. So they asked me (or something like that) to take his place. This will be the first time since mid march that I have worked my job since going full time into Vulcan. But its all good the original plan was to build these gasifires on the weekends, Yeah right!!! :slight_smile:

Hope Jim is OK out there I will check on him as soon as I get the chance :frowning:

Steve U, Thanks for the picture test and the pictures … Sorry to hear about the tooth … I have a loose one (upper wisdom) but still chew on it and that keeps shoving it back in it’s socket. I suppose if it gets real bad I can probably pull it myself. I don’t think the tooth fairy will leave me any money under my pillow. I swear by an old water pick I have when things get worked up. Watch the raspberry seeds … Stay well, Mike L

Honey Bees

Went to check my bees this morning and there was a swarm on the ground in front of my hives, dident get a picture before I picked them up and put them in a bucket then into a new hive. I did see there queen and she was not marked so she was not one of mine. Hope they have time to buildup before winter.

1 Like

Richard,
I am a beekeeper as well. Got my first hives this spring. Don’t know what in the heck I’m doing yet, but so far the colonies are still alive. From what I understand I shouldn’t have to worry about swarms until next year (year #2). Hope you captured the queen with the rest of the swarm. May have a beekeeping question or two for you this fall as I prepare for winter. My only real resource right now is the book Beekeeping For Dummies.

I need to cut hay very soon or I might loose my truck in this old Johnson grass.

Camera at eye level and I’m a tall fellow .

Heat has finally broke here, I’ve been building an addition and a well house for a customers cabin, going to start a structural remodel on another house next week drought has caused a lot of foundations to sink, porches and decks that hang out over the lake are sinking away from the houses

This is what I’m building in my spare time after a full time job. I have been working this on the weekends and holidays six years now maybe two more.

How many ton you put up in a year, Wayne? Must have a pretty nice herd a critters to feed come winter. That is really awesome country you all have back there. Folks out here in Eastern Washington been really puttin’ up the hay, but now Fall is in the air and the days have dropped from the 90’s to the low 80’s and 70’s, so they’ll be finished before too long.

Hello Mr. Jim,

On an average year I put up near a hundred ton. This year could do a lot more if I had the time.

I cut my pasture a month ago and the grass is back up to where it’s hard to see the calves.

Pretty good year for growin’ hay! I grew up on a small cattle ranch an’ put up a lot of hay, too…mostly custom hayin’ on shares as we didn’t have enough pasture to feed the cattle and cut enough hay of our own, too. Somehow wish I could come help you out but, alas, the foster kids keep us pretty busy and now school’s started an’ huntin’ season is almost upon us…just not enough hours in a day even when one is retired!

So many things going on I don’t hardly know where to start. How about having the young daughter that events on horses. Thirteen weekends last year and won Pony of the Year award from United States Eventing. That’s a lot of horse hauling for me. Now we have moved up to a bigger horse and bigger challenges.

Sawing cypress for 50,000 plant trellis.

Building ever more and bigger jumps

putting meat on the table

Doing a few big plant shows in the hope of boosting sales.

That’s enough for now. Gotta go milk the cow.

Wayne,
Might wanna bundle some more hay up and ship it… 3rd cutting alfalfa is like 6 bucks a bale around here on CL. I think think grass hay was like 4 bucks for the square bales. With this drought I can’t imagine other places aren’t as bad…

Hello Sean O,

Yes we are covered up with hay and grass this year. The problem is getting about three dry days in a row so that we can roll it up.