Life goes on (original thread)

There is nothing quite like some good Sorghum on home cook cornbread. Yum!! Do you gow the cane?
Jonathan.

Hello Jonathan,

The cane was grown by a neighbor and the corn bread was cooked on a wood stove along with the collards , beans and hominy .

If you want to find out what could happen to your gas station for months, check out this http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/channel/american-blackout/video/?sitelink=trailer&gclid=CJm3tpDttboCFdJj7AodcnAA5w

I grew a little sorghum this year. Sorghum!
Pic 1 young plants
Pic 2 going to seed

Hi Doug D, I just finished off those little bottles you gave me in Argos. Hope all’s well your side of the pond. Eric, was 24 degrees here this morning and 20 degrees a few mornings ago. Things are done growing here except kale and similar cabbage stuff. Seen a fair amount of snow as well but nothing sticking yet. Mike L

Eric, Maybe I asked already but I have a small piece of land between Wilcox and Douglas. I haven’t been there in 4 years now. Here’s a picture of my truck in Apache Pass on the home stretch.
http://www.intergate.com/~mlarosa/images/woodgas/At-Apache-Pass-AZ.jpg
Where you at there ??? Mike

I am living just south of Bisbee right now. I have my eye on some land in the western foothills of the Chiricahuas financially permitting in the future. If you ever need someone take a peek and make sure all is well let me know. I am always ready for an adventure.

Well… That turned into a really f’inn expensive 7 gallons of gas for my chipper/generator/mowers… Just what I needed at a time like this…

Tried turning left into the Coupeville gas station (holy guacamole’ I live in a “1 gas station town”, not counting the members-only pumps at the mechanic). I had people piled up behind me blocking the highway so I was rushed in my crossing. I tried to look as best I could but by the time I could see enough, it was too late.

No injuries and their car was still totally drivable, once we bent his fender back a bit.

My car was sort of drivable except a sheered radiator support that made a pencil hole in my lower radiator tank. Limped it home, mostly coasting to avoid engine heat but is grounded now. My insurance only covers their car.

Also got a 175$ FTYROW-RIC ticket that I have no idea how I’m going to pay.

Weee…

PS: The stupid headlights and “racer” hood pins were on the car when I bought it from a previous accident so yous can’t blame me for them.

Brian,

Sorry about the crash but glad no one hurt .

Glad you’re alright! That could have been a t-bone.

This is the one situation that scares me the most with woodgas driving… because you often have limited acceleration out of a dead stop, and the possibility of a stall. I am much more cautious about crossing traffic streams on woodgas, more than I would be on gasoline.

been there before… literally

some guys have all the luck…

I went through the exact same accident scenario when I lived in Washington state about 20 plus years ago. Yikes! Same red 4 door Toyota… Corolla??

better things your way next time Brian.

Denny

Hey there Chris, would power braking at the intersection, or maybe 3 volts to the fuel pump give a safety factor for the power bursts?

Eric, I know Joan W who owns the bookstore in town and my friend Greg F also works there and surroundings. There were a lot of VW’s there. One of the few places they still exist. Last time I was there was probably 2005. I didn’t go to Bisbee on my last trip in 2009. I just landed in Sunizona and stayed there. I had no reason to see any towns or cities. I remember one time sleeping in my station wagon in Bisbee and getting up in the morning before the crowds and seeing a bunch of coyote’s playing on the hill across the valley. They spotted me and all split. I was shocked they could see that well or paid attention. There were around 8 of them. They were at least a quarter to half a mile away. I actually lived in the area in the mid 70’s … My favorite place is up at the end of Turkey Creek Road and a mile or so up the creek. I can no longer hike it anymore. Bums me out but I’m getting old … Mike

http://userpages.mhtc.net/~mlarosa/files/arizona/
Eric, Here’s some pictures from around 1997 … Mike

I Love turkey creek road, my profile picture was actually taken near that big stock pen about halfway up turkey creek road. I love to stop at the creek and fill up a gallon of that water.
I was actually in Sunizona today. A friend of mine has a home out there he’s trying to sell and we did some landscaping and put back up some soffeting the blew down. Its so beautiful and peaceful out there. This is where hes at. http://chiricahuarealestate.com/homepage.htm?in_listing=5745859&in_brokercode=XHUA01&map=1

Look what happens when you drive a hot gasifier through tall dead grass.

Hey just joking !!

I had gotten behind on grass cutting through the summer and now there is enough dead in it and I am trying to burn the pastures off. I have been burning at night when it burns a little slower and doesn’t out run me .

The neighbors my think I am starting up several gasifier at the same time

BBB

Eric, It’s just a few blocks north from my (vacant) property on Dragoon Rd. Priced way beyond my means. I hope his well is deep. I lived for a couple of years in 77/78 near the intersection of Fort Bowie and Chiricahua. The house is gone now. I have nothing but fond memories. My friend Greg lives on Apache Dr. Just look for the biggest patch of trees … Mike

I just figured out how to put a video up on here.
As bad as it looks, here’s my 1st gasifier running my 13hp Honda. My goal now is to get a hydraulic pump for it. I will then make attachments, chunker, chipper, etc.

I read an article a little while ago that stated Korea used gasifiers up until 1970