Life goes on (original thread)

When are you going to head this way again? The warm dry air would do you some good I bet. I love Cochise county, it looks to me to be set for another boom in the next five years or so.

Bill, In North Korea they are still running their trucks on watergas using coal. I posted some pictures years ago on the yahoo site that a friend sent me. He works for DOE and was there supervising the dismantling of one of their nuke plants. There is a video of a couple but I have the link at the house and will try to post later. I don’t see it here. You could try a search on youtube. Mike

Eric, You are welcome to pitch a tent on my property. My taxes went down $20 this year. Assessment was the same so I don’t know why. Went from $49 to $29 … I have a neighbor to the north that is afraid of snakes so has bulldozed all vegetation off his property. He changed his phone number so I can’t call him to see what is up. I don’t want any vegetation disturbed on my lot and I have a few 5 gallon cans back in the brush that I set my toilet seat on when I’m there. I just dig a hole. I found my 2 back stakes when I was there last time and probably piled some rocks on them. The front ones were grated out by the road grater but I have some rocks piled up near the lines. (I’m a Land Surveyor) You can call me if you want at 608-623-3000 and I will give you coordinates on the center of my lot as well as my personal info in case someone hassles you. There is some drug activity in the area so be careful. There is a power pole almost in the middle of the rear of my lot. There is an abandoned well on the lot right behind it. You might be able to fish a tube with a small pump down it to get some water if it is not dry from all the agriculture pumps in the area … Mike

Well… This has turned out to be a “fantastic” week… After my car accident last week, I needed to make some more money to pay off the ticket and buy parts for my car. A friend needed some firewood so I went out and got a truckload for him. While I was cutting the small logs down to length, I made a video of my “bundle-chainsaw” wood chunking method, which I’ll upload here and my thread soon.

When I was about 80% done sawing up logs, I got a call from my dad. We don’t talk much these days after a falling out we had a few years ago. It turns out that he just found out that his closest brother, back in Finland, has been diagnosed with some sort of advanced cancer, inoperable. It’s already claimed one of his kidneys and aggressively moved into his liver and large intestine. Esko is my favorite uncle by far. He’s the only one who has always treated me like he enjoyed teaching things to; be it beekeeping, which Finnish berries are safe/tasty, or how to ice-fish. All the rest of my uncles, on either side of my family, have always treated me like I was just a burden to be tolerated to get time with the rest of my family.

After that wonderful call, I went to get back to finishing up my sawing. Except the pull-cord on my chainsaw won’t pull. I quickly look it over and have figured that the cord isn’t caught, the engine just won’t turn. It would appear that my saw overheated and siezed, even though I wasn’t running it very hard over all and giving it breaks fairly often.

Now one of my 2 main forms of potential income is down and out. Greaaat…

Bundle-Chainsaw chunking method video. If someone could pull some stills for the dialup folks, it would be appreciated since I’m on mobile devices for the day.

I found out what had seized up my chainsaw… The shop mechanic at the place I bought the saw from thought I’d somehow overheated the engine. He said I should look into the spark plug port to see if the cylinder walls were scoured.

The good news is they weren’t scoured. The other good news is that I know what caused the engine to seize and got it out of there. It was a little chunk of metal, about 1/2 the size of a grain of rice, wedged between the cylinder wall and the piston head.

The bad news is that I have no idea where it came from. The spark plug, the air filter, and the fuel filter are all intact so the metal chunk came from somewhere between those 3 points.

Also, I got my shop/shed up today and the roof is on. It’s going to be nice not having to carry my welder all the way across our yard from our “barn” in the front yard to my work area behind the house, and then back again when I’m done for the day. I’m not ready to weld in the shop yet, but at least it’s only about 15 feet from my old work area, vs about 200 feet+stairs to the “barn”.

I still don’t have any serious power out to my shed though. My only extension cord is fairly light duty, 120V/12A max load. My welder will pop the breaker of my 15A power strip fairly quickly on “medium” settings or higher. I found some REALLY heavy gauge cable (I think it said max load is 600V/200A) in the “barn” but it has no ends/plugs. I tried installing some basic replacement plug ends but I couldn’t even fit 1/2 of the bundle of wires into the recepticle thing (2 pinch plates with a screw between them) for each prong of the plug. Hopefully, I’ll be able to sell this batch of firewood soon and be able to afford some heavier plug ends (and more parts for my smashed car).

If you can find those videos Mike, I would like to see them. I a still picture of a North Korean wood gas truck. That is all I found.
Bill S.

Bill, I will try to find the exact link … I can’t do youtube at my shop but this may be it

I remember it was a short video taken from a hotel room … There were 2 trucks in it, one going to the left and one to the right …
Mike

Hi Brian
That looks like the locator pin out of the piston.
There is a small locator pin in the ring gruve to keep the ring from rotating and and the end being caught in the window in the barrel. Or it could be one of the cage pins out of the crank bearing cages.
Either way it would be better strip and inspect before there is major damage !

Good luck
Patrick

As we celebrate Veterans Day in the US I wanted to say Thank You to all our vets.

Wayne

Hi Chris
In one of the threads there was an over view diagram of the WK system and an explanation of gasification, that one could print and hand out. Please could you send me the link. I’m starting to sound like a stuck record explaining over and over again how it all works.

Thanks Patrick

Banks and Post office are not open today, but the U S of A is, thanks to our veterans.

Hi Brian,
I’m sorry for the misfortune that has befallen your favorite uncle, mine passed suddenly last year. Please forget the past. My mom, gone also, had a Tetley teabag tag pinned up near the wall phone and the saying on the tag read, “if you love someone, tell them”. The first time in my adult life(I was 25) that I said I love you, dad (also gone) was the day before my MAC V flight to Vietnam. Neither of us could see through the tears, he hugged me and he said, “I love you too, son” for the first time in my adult life. How I wish I could hug them and hear their voices just one more time. Life is too short to only wait for that “last call”.
I used a print screen program to get a couple of stills, here they are. Excuse me, I have to dry my eyes.
Pepe

On a lighter note check out the following on youtube. It’s the best small engine site I’ve seen.
Search donyboy73 channel. You can submit questions, also.

Hey Guys, These Russians have the right idea for handling “wood”!

Pepe

Happy veterans day, pepe. From an ‘old’ 1st cav trooper RVN class of 70-71

carson

Patrick, here’s the flyer:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6Lqdm5ewSpUX2JObElLQlhDUWM/view

Thanks Mike L. That is one smokey vehicle.

Bill, Here’s the link I have at home … Mike
Imgur

Happy Veterans Day to you too, Carson… MCB 7 Surveyor, RVN class of 68-69, Dong Ha.
Pepe

Pepe: Thanks for the sympathy and screen shots. My dad is from Finland and his brother’s English is pretty spotty. Combined with my 4 word Finnish vocabulary we have a bit of a language barrier. Sort of funny that I get along better with him via sign language and broken English then I do with my English Fluent American relatives.

My dad will probably be able to make the trip across the pond soon to see him, but I am not sure I can afford to make the trip. I’d like to see Finland again but it’s not a high priority for me.

In other news, I built my first things in my welding shed today! I made 3 more “Bolt-Folk”: A shoveling digger, a hoed gardener, and a axed wood chopper. Pictures soon.

I ran the 12A rated extension cord over there and it didn’t even get warm with intermittent welding (on “mediumish” settings), extensive 10A grinder/recip saw usage, and a 100W light bulb.

I also cut and cleaned up some square-tube and 6 short pieces of 3/4" pipe with cast-iron 90 degree angle fittings for Secondary Air nozzles for my little woodstove. It was too dark to continue working so I couldn’t finish the job.

Damned it was nice to only need to move tools/materials about 2 feet into their respective desk (big old steel desk for a welding table) drawers and recoil the extension cord instead of having to hike things back and forth around the yard to get everything put away. :slight_smile:

Sorry to hear about your uncle. Glad to hear you got a sheltered work area. The only secure place I have to keep the welder and plasma cutter is in the house, along with my tools and temporary work bench of a couple drums and a piece of plate steel it takes a good 30 minutes to get it all out and unpacked before I can get to work. But you do what you got to do.
-God Bless you and your family.
Eric Cartier