Life goes on - Summer 2014

… the wet keep shopping!!!

Played music aboard the American Queen steamboat yesterday, docked at Louisville KY. This is one big boat! 5 decks, three restaurants, even a swimming pool.

The stage we played was a in copy of the Ford Theater where Lincoln was shot.

Short video, waved at the Belle of Louisville as she pulled out. Oldest operating paddle steamer.

I wonder how many WK Dakota Gasifiers would be needed in parallel to feed this beast?

Beth and I spent the whole weekend building a hoophouse season extender. Well we almost got it done anyway… Just the plastic over the top and I’ll have to rip the wood strips for wrapping the plastic along the bottom long edges. Bought the wood and EMT, rolled the hoops on Sat morning. A few more hours and it will be all closed in. Not sure what I am going to do with the ends yet, but I have more than enough plastic to just pleat it and pull it down when it get cold. I have a while to worry about that here in Arkansas.

I put the greenhouse plastic on the ground all summer to solarize the bermuda grass and weeds some. The same plastic will be the roof for as long as it lasts. I have no plan to heat it as of now. Just planning on planting right in the ground and watch to see if it was a good idea. This is my first attempt at greenhouse gardening. Can’t wait to have some fresh greens late in the year…

Al D

Off topic and absolutely nothing to do with wood gas .

My son will turn his rabbits lose to graze and use his dog to put them back in the pen or catch them . ( same with his chickens )

Late yesterday he was having a rabbit roundup to sale a few and I filmed a couple min of it . Dog has to be careful not to hurt them but holds until son can get them .

Tally needs to find a little monkey to ride those fuzzy broncs.

Hi Wayne, I just caught your rain photo from many days ago… Does that bring back memories. My neighbor just shot her rooster … He started at 4:30 of course … I liked the guy … Good luck with the rabbit herding … My 13 year old cat has been laying around all day with a full belly so I assume she ate a rabbit or two last night … Could snow anytime here … When I stopped to see Jonathan near Lincoln Nebraska on October 9th 5 years ago it snowed 2 inches that night and I drove all the way from Nebraska to New Mexico in freezing rain … Hope all’s well with the gang … My camera died today … Put a hundred wood on the truck over the weekend … I had to re-braze the gasifier to the frame …It has been cooling off here (36 degrees F at night) and the roads are shrinking and getting bumpy. New cyclone is on the older trailer with the new gasifier and temp hooked up for tests … Mike

Al,

Please don’t use wood strips to hold your plastic. The nails will tear the plastic. Once installed with wood, it is hard to tighten.
There is a product called spring latch, made for this purpose. I have covered scores of greenhouses. You want to use the spring latch. Run it down both side, at the bottom, where your plastic will attach. For the end walls, you cover the end bow with latch on top and run a stick of it along the bottom. Pull the plastic from the bottom up and you won’t have any folds in your end wall. If you need me to elaborate, just message me.
Here is a link I found quickly.
http://www.growerssupply.com/farm/supplies/ProductDisplay?productId=71383

That gets screwed down the long walls at the bottom, and along the top of the end bows. Pull the plastic over, and insert wiggle wire. I have seen these little hoop houses made in this manner, hang tough through a hurricane (Gilbert) in south Texas. The winds were over 85mph.
Edit
Those pictures were terrible
Here is a video that explains it.

Speaking of greenhouses, here’s a “how to” on building a little bit smaller version than the one Al built. The basic unit is 7’ wide, 6’ high and 8.5’ long, but you can extend it to any length, depending on how many cattle panels you use.

I think mat’l cost for the basic unit is about $150 even for all new materials. Probably closer to $200 if you buy the greenhouse-grade, UV resistant, light-diffusing plastic.

8 foot wide X ~5.5 foot high X three panels long ~13 feet.
Takes wind and snow loads well.
S.U.

I came across this youtube video about e-15 gasoline.

That gasoline sits in woodgas vehicles tanks and fuel lines for a long time (hopefully) and most of us are running pre 2001 vehicles.
Just saying.

I’ll see if I can scrounge up some channel and wiggle wire. I have over spent my intended budget so far by a lot.
I am planting right in the ground so I’m gonna get that done. We won’t really need the plastic on top immediately in our climate so I have some time to find some. I need 120 feet. The building is 12x60.

Al D

The Greenhouse is on topic, or at lest related… :slight_smile:
This is the intended place for my gasifier products. Biochar, fertilizer from wood vinegar etc.

Love the dog training video!

Al D

Al,
You need 120 feet for the two sides and an additional 40 feet or so for the two end walls.

Got me thinking that maybe one of these might make a real nice solar wood chunk drying kiln. Might have to put something on the ground to help control humidity. Maybe some roof old tin on top of some pallets? (air space underneath) It would at least, be a great place for wood storage with the ends left off. Well worth doing, I’d say. It would keep the wood warm, dry and stable.

The hog/cattle panels cost around $20 ea.around here.

Al D

“You need 120 feet for the two sides and an additional 40 feet or so for the two end walls.”

Yup, I’m looking…

Horses, tractors, convertibles with beauty queens, church groups, and one wood gas truck.

Thanks for the pictures Carl ,

Looking good :slight_smile:

Was talking on the phone with Terry L and he was curious of our truck, so here it is.