Life goes on - Summer 2016

You guys crack me up … Hope to see you in 3 weeks … My father in law is dying right now but is still busy living as he swells up. I had planned for the last year to be on my way to Arizona right now but I guess that is not happening till things settle down … I’ll be pulling my older time tested trailer to Argos … Mike

5 Likes

BrianHWA
I have an original Hookway print book/manual I can loan to you want me to mail it on up to you.

Regards
Washington State Steve Unruh

1 Like

Don’t forget milk for a pesticide; http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/milk-natural-pesticide-zmaz82mazglo.aspx

1 Like

Went to the “valborgsmässobrasan” to night.
Every town and every village through out the country has at least one big bonfire on the last of april. There are some fireworks, drinking and singing.
It’s said that all the fires will help witches find their way home on their brooms from “Blåkulla” where they’ve been since easter making love to the devil himself. News even reported airspace was really crowded.
A tremendous amount of gasifier fuel from every garden in the village was wasted in the fire. Should have brought my chunker. No one ever even seem to care rescuing the leftover charcoal :smile:

3 Likes

By the time the Europeans got to this country they changed it from burning a fire to guide the witches to just plane burning the witch. I don’t know of any of us that wanted to make love to the devil or assist the witches — although through our lives a lot of people think they have.TomC

1 Like

Thank you, Steve, but I don’t know if it’d be worth the shipping cost as I’m not much of a book-learner.

I’m basically just looking at all the theories/ideas used by various retorts and figuring out how to cobble something useful together from them with what I have on hand. I’m mostly done already anyways. :slight_smile:

Well, my wife has been after me to change the oil and filter in her lawn mower. I was a little depressed with the work on the truck so I changer the oil and filter for her. I no more than said it was ready and out the door she went with a hoody on, a heavy coat, a hat with ear flaps and by God she got the first mowing of the horse pen done. All I saw was wheel tracks in the grass but she was happy and so=== our mowing every 5 days has probably started.TomC

5 Likes

here in kansas we call that yard art...

2 Likes

Thursday afternoon I put out my broccoli and cauliflower starts and came in for a bite to eat. I went back out to find I left the gate open and the chickens had stripped them bare and moved on to the lettuce. last night I brought in my young peppers and tomatoes. This morning there are no peppers. Something gets me every year. Last week there was just one night of freezing temps in the forecast through the end of May. We have had 3 with more in the forecast now. I knew better than fall for that one, we are not safe from frost for another month. It is no wonder there are no small farms left. I was working towards starting a market garden, but between this and the two week delay due to a batch of seeds that never sprouted it looks like something else I started that gets put on hold. It seems the last few years I get kicked in the teeth every time I turn around .

3 Likes

I know what you mean.

Predators are a problem (the furry kind, and the not so furry kind).

I lost 5 lambs night-before-last without a trace.

Think it was Coyotes.

1 Like

Sorry to here that Kyle that makes my peppers sound trivial. last weekend my neighbor said he seen the fox eyeing up my chickens. My chickens all charged at the fox. This week my chickens been staying real close to the shack and always under some kind of cover I lost 8 last spring while I was in Argos and one a week it seemed 19 total to what turned out to be a neighbor’s dog. These eight have been holding strong, but things are not looking good for them now that the fox knows where they are and they seem to know it.

2 Likes

Jim, that’s why I like to grow buckwheat. Plant it on the 4th of July.

1 Like

What do you do with buckwheat Jeff?

Sounds like you need to spend a couple nights outside with a small cal.rifle & starlight scope
Jesse

2 Likes

Wild oats seem to sprout no mater how carful one is as well!

1 Like

Jesse - I have some helpful neighbors. One is former special forces and another is x-army and a seller of sporting goods and gear to the local police, etc.

They were out here the night after it happened with thermal imaging, a couple of AN/PVS-14’s, and plenty of firepower.

They are experienced predator hunters, but only saw a fox and a coon.

That’s the way it goes.

1 Like

Hi Jim, started growing it two years ago. Have a big time problem so most of it goes to waste or fertilizer. Right now I eat it raw like a salid and it tastes great! Someday I’ll learn how to put the seads on the table.

I also like dandelions and should start growing them in the garden but Mr. Time gets in the way…

1 Like

sounds like this situation should be under control soon
I spent several night at my sister’s house before I finally got the weasle that was killing her chickens. she had lost quite a few in the previous week
I had gone over her chicken run and made it critter proof but lost three hens the next night "weasle " I said to her I’ll be back, so I spent several nights up on the barn roof about fourty yrds. away and in the trees on different nights. I did see him for just a moment at the eastern corner then he was gone a couple seconds later I could hear a ruckuss in the hen house so I climbed
down quickly and got there in time to shoot him with a 22 cal rifle. in the couple min.that it took me to get down and get the door open he had killed six hens! Nasty little bugger
we cleaned the hens up and put them in the freezer

4 Likes

Put your dog house right beside the hen house :relaxed:

I take my dog feed off my farm taxes . They are a tool,friend and a necessity .

9 Likes

Sound wisdome there Mr. Keith
Jesse

1 Like