Life goes on - Summer 2016

Congratulations Carl :grinning:

Back in the early 60s I could watch the car drive by and and name the year, model and make of the cars and get 95% correct.

Now days if a thousand cars drove by I couldn’t get any correct . Might make a wild guess if a mid 90s dakota came by :grin:

Back in the 60s I thought a 63 1/2 ford was HOT .

7 Likes

Same here Wayne. We lived thru an amazing time in automotive history. Thanks to you, we’re making a little automotive history ourselves. :grinning:

7 Likes

Very nice Carl! I can’t see what the other plaque says. I see the people’s choice award.

2 Likes

2nd place modified truck, same as I got 2 years ago.

4 Likes

Brian,
Beautiful truck!.

1 Like

Sun is out here but visibility only 1 1/2 miles due to fires in Minnesota. Hope Bill and Jim are ok

3 Likes

We are starting to have weird smoke filled skies, beautiful sunrises and sunsets, surreal sepia colours at mid day, just like last year. A few days the smoke was thick enough you wouldn’t want to be drying clothes outside. Here the smoke is coming from northern Alberta, 1,000 miles away, as the boreal forest burns in temperatures up to 20C above normal.

I’m not sure if the news has spread, but the city just south of the Alberta tar sands projects had to be evacuated, then part burnt, at least 80,000 evacuated. The fire has halted oil production, which represents up to 1/3 of Canadian oil.

Although it’s a disaster, and I am sorry for the upset and loss, it’s ironic that oil town has become a victim of climate change.

The interruption of production seems poised to have major effects on retail supply and prices in western Canada. Looking like a rehearsal for post peak oil.

Garry Tait, Manitoba

2 Likes

The news has spread across the pond.
We had a simular situation only 80 km from here last summer (hm…or was it summer before?). The town of Norberg was about to get evacuated, but the fire just missed it. Water bombers where called in even from Italy. We had smoke, sot and ash flakes falling down in a trail across the entire scandinavian peninsular.
Someting is going on - it’s happening right now. Avarage temperature north of polar cirkel is up 7C. Global sustainable limit is said to be 2C.

2 Likes

I have been in the barren ground country above the tree line near 60° north in Manitoba. There are sinkholes appearing in the permafrost. All the land is covered in at least 4m of frozen organic matter accumulated over thousands of years.

They estimate that the carbon tied up in the north around the globe is twice the entire carbon content of the atmosphere. The release of this carbon, and the burning of forests with the associated soot threatens to overshadow all human climate change with no possibility of halting once the feedback loop begins. If the peat stagnates and turns into methane the warming effect of the emissions will be 40 times stronger.

There are many warning signs, but few want to understand the danger.

Regards,

2 Likes

Customink sent me a sample Argos sweatshirt for artwork approval. Check it out!

5 Likes

Wish I was going… looks cool.

Thanks for the fashion show Chris!

2 Likes

Here’s a pic of some of the new potatoes that Ray referenced in an earlier post. Menke new potatoes, in a San Francisco China Town wok, over mesquite in West Texas. These were incredible!

Ray and Donna really have a composting and biochar success story going on, in their garden. Over a number of years they have turned hard clay into friable, very fertile soil. Ray dug these potatoes with his hands, as if the soil were sandy.

One time I was visiting Ray and Donna and the compost pile was a little larger than it usually is. I asked Ray about it, and he said it contained … a calf that had died. Hint: If you visit Ray’s, don’t stand still in one place too long - you might get composted!

6 Likes

Nice looking fire pit.

1 Like

Toss in a few sliced onions for a bit, oh man, I can taste them taters now.

2 Likes

Thanks! Well, I didn’t have a fire pit but I did have some rocks off the old house. So I threw this together in a hurry, as I had Boy Scouts coming out for the weekend (5 years ago …). Frankly, I prefer this to an elevated pit - for simplicity and efficiency, as well as authenticity. It doesn’t take much wood to fire it. One sheet of newspaper to start it. I also made an authentic Mexican/Apacheria comal that also fits over the fire - a flat sheet of 3/16" with a hand forged handle on one end.

1 Like

I had a guest come up from Green Bay and spend the afternoon talking about wood gas. He is Kevin Creatans. A very nice guy interested in woodgas. He came to Argos last year and supplied that sample of soap in the restroom to clean our sooty hands and I think Mr. Wayne may remember him for the beautiful Dodge V8 he had in the parking lot. That Dodge is a little bit of a problem because it is sooo nice, he is having second thoughts about cutting it up with a gasifier. In talking with him I think his immediate interest in woodgas would be better served by going to the “darker” side and building a charcoal lawnmower. So he is coming to Argos again this year and If you see him looking at you lawnmower or your charcoal processing, please encourage him.TomC

3 Likes

Finally finished turning over the garden beds today. A spring garden is always so perfect…Lots of crab grass from last year’s neglect. Never again of course …

8 Likes

Interesting layout David. Would you explain how you do that? Looks like raised beds without the boards on the sides I do not see tire marks at the end; do you turn it over by hand?

1 Like

David, that is BEAUTIFUL! Is that your normal soil or have you added a semi-truck load of horse manure compost or something?. Did you till it with a rototiller on your charcoal powered tractor? Are you using charcoal fines in this soil?

1 Like