Life goes on - Summer 2017

Sat down for a cup of coffee on the front porch this morning. I saw the grass had grown a little high and green in certain areas :innocent: I thought that maybe I’ll try shave some rust off the old manual cylinder mower.
I just started when a couple of ladies walked by in their shiny colourful tights, out and so called power-walking. One of them shouted: “Something wrong with your lawnmower? You can borrow ours!” I was about to say: “Someting wrong with your car? I can give you a ride”, but I didn’t. I just answered a polite: “Thank you, but I’m just playing.”
It was not my intention but I ended up finishing the whole front side, half an hour later. I probably got as much exercise as the ladies did, only I got something useful done and saved a cup of gasoline.
Why is it that people of today are so allergic to doing someting useful with their body but can run around empty handed just fine?

17 Likes

10 likes. I said it before, and l will say it again. Woodgasers are special rare voriety of people. A inteligent, do-er, but realistic voriety.

Btw, those mowers are my favorite! The sound of them is so relaxive!

6 Likes

I find it too funny when someone is out walking and they complain about you being out doing physical labor. I get that often when I am stacking wood. I someone told me one summer day when I was stacking wood that he felt bad for me having to stack wood on such a hot day. I told him I feel bad for people out walking in the direct sun on hot days. At least stacking wood I am in the shade of my shed and I will be warm this winter because of it. What will your walk today do for you this winter? Needless to say he walked on and didn’t bother me again.

10 Likes

There is a culture of unnecessary effort. Why not conciliate the fisic exercise and the realization of small domestic spots. Maybe to keep us as consumers?
If you cut your firewood you will not buy oil for heating.
If you grow your vegetables,
If you make your preserves,
If you DOW, … You do not contribute much to the increase in GDP
Lobbyists understood this and managed to condemn us to give up our autonomy

9 Likes

5-10 years ago there was a commercial on TV. It was of a middle aged man sitting in a waiting room of a clinic. All of a sudden he gets up and dances to some music in front of others that are waiting too. The commercial was for an insurance company reminding people to get up and move around for at least 10 minutes per day.
This is the world we live in.

5 Likes

Co co for co co pops, i dont eat co co any more.That was one dumb comercial.

1 Like

We are forecast with a couple of days without rain . Going wide open in the hay fields .

6 Likes

Back in 06/07 when gas here was 1.40/Litre (5.29 CAD/US Gal), I could get almost $20.00 worth into my mower (Garden Tractor) if the tank was bone dry. That would just finish two mows and a little bit of the 3rd.

We went camping in Sudbury Ontario one of those expensive years - that’s a 6 hour drive North West of here. Gas was like 1.75/litre way up there. I had borrowed a truck with a140 litre tank, so that was a 245.00 fill!

Those would have been good years to DOW and MOS (Mow on Sweat) :slight_smile:

8 Likes

I think they complain out of some kind of conviction or guilt. Your work makes them feel lazy. Laziness is still felt as a bad thing, therefore when you show them your work (when they see you working), it brings an uneasy feeling of guilt for their active laziness. They tell you they pity you in order to get away from that uneasy feeling. They don’t actually pity you.
It’s kind of the same reason people holding a cigarette tell you, “Yeah, I need to quit these things.” They feel convicted and are concerned that you are looking down on them for their actions, so they have to say something to try to ease the discomfort. If not, they wouldn’t care what you thought, or they would actually quit.

I want to be lazy, but I want hard working people to think I’m not lazy.
I want to smoke, but I want that person to not look down on me as a smoker.

It basically doesn’t matter that the hard worker or the non-smoker doesn’t have any thoughts on the matter at all. It’s the perception of the dis-eased person that causes the need to say something like that.
At least that’s my experience. That’s why I tend to say silly things like that.

There’s my psycho analysis for the day…

7 Likes

Yet, these same people will consider you backwards, or hard done by for intentionally taking on physical labour. The common thread is it is socially and culturally admired to over consume. And if resources are laid out for anyone to waste who can afford it, let the bonfire begin.

But what others are uncomfortable with is that it is a bonfire of vanity and greed, and liable to take down all the world, and eventually humanity, so better to buy the latest fads, and do fashionable things admired by the other monkeys, and encouraged by corporate profiteers, the system nor it’s participants want to look at themselves too closely. A good game, as long as there’s power for everything. Much like how pyromaniacs look at straw stacks. But better hope for better skills the day things change, the Lulu lemon lifestyle won’t count for anything.

9 Likes

My experience/opinion is that people now a days look down at people that work. That is why kids need to go to college, - you don’t want to grow up and work like that - do you ?

6 Likes

But I am going to charge you 4 times an hour of what you make to do the work you don’t want to do. Landscape electrical plumping siding roofing etc.

2 Likes

…SO let us eat and drink and be merry for tomorrow we die…wasn’t that old Billy Shakespeare?

the moment of silence thing is hilarious Garry

3 Likes

Good sentiment Billy, I try to govern my life by that. But a part of the merriment in Shakespeare’s time was that life would go on much the same for centuries to come. I fear we have taken it to whole other levels.

Yeah, that meme is perfect. I have been horrified seeing that surreal scene of all the people working like madmen on treadmills and stationary bikes, when they drove there. They could have ridden a real bike half way there and gone back home, and gotten more exercise. Instead they fueled up an SUV and drove.

Edit: Maybe they should learn to split wood with an axe, and do themselves and the planet some real good… :smile:

5 Likes

I’m not saying it’s a good thing…It’s just the attitude many have:
“I’m gonna get what I can for me right now and not think too much about what it costs everyone else”

4 Likes

I purr like a kitten hearing all this wisdom.

…and fresch air, a more interesting wiev, etc, etc. By bike to work or running an errand would even ad some use to the effort.
I´ve done quite a lot of pedaling, but I never could make myself pedal without a destination.

I belive commersials are to blame when it comes to lifestyle values. Shiny, no effort and of course buy, buy, buy. I´m allergic to them. I get angry.
I don´t watch a lot of tv, but when I do choose our two public service channels - no commersials. It´s such a relief watching a whole program without getting interrupted by crap.

7 Likes

Wasn’t sure if I should put this here or on Chris’ chp laundry challenge.

I’m not sure this would get the Wife approval seal, but she wouldn’t want to go out on the spend the evening on the town spending money after this!

6 Likes

I like the set up. I am thinking about alternate power sources for a similar system, but that discussion would be better in Chris’s new thread, or maybe wait till I have a working system.

Regarding pedaling and exercise, guaranteed that would trim some fat off of people, and give them a whole new perspective on how many clothes they need, and how much energy we consume without consideration.

5 Likes

With only a 10% chance of rain yesterday and today I had cut , fluffed and raked a lot of hay . I found out that 10% was right over my hay field . No rain in a half mile in any direction . The sun was shinny while the rain was ruining the hay :confounded:

I was able to get almost half of the filed rolled :grin:

7 Likes

Hi Mr Wayne
I feel your pain. I rushed like crazy to get the hay under the roof, the clowds were thick and bkack, but there was no rain thanks god.

3 Likes