Life goes on - Summer 2017

Here, this may be my first “on topic” post in this thread :slight_smile:

Deck railing work ongoing near completion. Prep work for the purposes of selling an old truck I have, also near completion. I need to shingle one part of the roof on my house, I’m kicking that one out to next year. Finish up interior of addition I built on the house years ago, not a huge job, but haven’t started yet.

I want to clean up enough jobs around the house to work guilt free on woodgas stuff when the snow comes!

6 Likes

Just finished an appropriate technology seminar/class, day 1. Had students here from University of Alabama, Ag U of Honduras (UNA), Nigeria, Zambia, China, Congo, Bolivia, El Salvador, & Nicaragua.

Had a real good day. Covered pieces of several subjects: water purification/filtration, alternative pumping techniques, methane, wood-gas, charcoal, solar cooking, passive solar, improved latrine, root cellar-ing, food preservation, and some butchering stuff. Most of these students are public health majors. Some are agriculture development workers…

8 Likes

Right now ?

Saved two barrels of sawdust saved for the pooh bucket. And some bark to grind.

made a mechanical winch to the pole wood skidder.

3 Likes

I received this gift yesterday from a neighbor.
I can’t seem to find the manufacturer on the internet.

3 Likes

What is this Bill? Twenty characters

2 Likes

Appears to be a coffee roaster. Looks like it’s made for a gas stove.

1 Like

Ha! Interasting! Need to make something similar for roasting barley malt for my brewery. Thanks for the idea!

4 Likes

7 Likes

I first thought of a grain toaster or popcorn popper. good neighbor? or a really bad one trying to make a mends?

1 Like

Just a pumpkin tweet…

1 Like

Jeff, do you still have time to make pumpkins up there in the north country. ?

It will be a close call for sure ! ! Only time will tell.

4 Likes

I went through the squash / punkin patch the other day the garden is largely weeds with big plants hidden in there somewhere between the rain and trying to hay the garden got weedy this year but there is stuff there. The first 2 photos are speckled hounds one of the better squash I have found. The last is a pie punkin one of 3 hanging on my arbor that is about full grown. I need to get to the tomatoes and start sorting out that mess. I have put up 34 quarts of beans so far that is only 1 picking of 2 out of the 5 rows there are a ton of beans this year. So the garden is doing good. I will get all the food I need and my uncle needs and have food left over for barter.

7 Likes

we’re getting ready for cover crop already. We have a feww winter squash still making and peppers. We are growing Thai peppers commercially this year.

1 Like

Finished two more days. this time teaching lecture & practicum on fuel efficient cook stoves. Centered around Dr Larry’s rocket stoves. Missed you here Larry.

Also, on another subject. I have a question. Is everyone else as busy as we are here. I mean business-wise.? Just curious if we’re in some kind of pocket or something or is everyone else as wrapped up as we are? Running as fast as we can and still scheduled out in March of next year.

5 Likes

Yes. It hasn’t been like this since 2004 up here in Michigan.

2 Likes

Well trying to get the old family farm back to the point it will pay some bills after 2 decades of being shutdown and longer being neglected I am crazy busy all the time. But then again I have 100 acres of fields and burn about 12 cords of wood a year plus keep a garden that feeds atleast 3 people so my uncle will help with the harvest and will bale hay for me. But I am not sure that counts as business busy just crazy enough to try to be a farmer…

5 Likes

Good morning Billy .

Real busy on my side of the mountain also. Working as hard as I can go and getting more and more behind.

I think the last day I took off was when we came down and visited you .

2 Likes

Same over the pond. Dayjob, wood preparation, hayharvest and potato/bean harvest mark my days, plus a hour a day digging for the greenhouse/callar. Man lm glad thats allmost done.

But winter is near, and winter is gasifier making season in my eyes! :wink:

6 Likes

Yep. Yep.
Make hay (and firewood) while the sunshines.
Make produce and preserves while it grows.
Jam-in outside paintings, and post holes setting before the real rains set in.
Busy. Busy. Busy.
Metals weld up just fine here in the winter - under a bit’o cover. With no wild-fires hazard then. Warms you too. Woods seems to burn better then too.
“Everything, in it’s season.”
Regards
tree-farmer Steve unruh

3 Likes