Life goes on - Summer 2018

Jim remember it is always darkest just before the dawn. That is what I keep reminding myself as I try to sort things out on this old farm. Try to focus on the progress you have made not the issues which have developed. I was looking at the work I need to do this year to get through the spring over the next couple of months before haying season starts feeling overwhelmed the other day. But them I look back an realize the issues I had in the past and the things I have now that I didn’t have then. Yes life keeps us busy but we just have to focus on what we have achieved.

4 Likes

Haha, we use to say “it’s never too late to give up” :smile:
Funny, we usually have mild winters when yours are cold and vice versa, but not this winter. Only Arctic areas are warmer than usual.
I’m way into next winter’s woodpile too.

3 Likes

the grid is down here tonight. Winds up to 80kmhr trees down all over the place. Most of the important stuff in the house is on solar so it’s quieter than usual but still comfy… using about 3 kW Hr per 24 hours so good for 3 days with no sun before I need to worry or over discharge the batteries.

6 Likes

David, are you not able to charge batteries with a generator?

yes i can Bill. I’ll probably break it out tomorrow morning if the power is not back on. I tested it about a month ago and have about 50 litres of fuel on hand. No Worries here.

3 Likes

Grid came back on in town before 9:45, I was out and it was back on when I came in. Off for about 7 hours but the utility was predicting 30.

2 Likes

Still out here wyatt…

2 Likes

Power still out it seems a pole is snapped up the road somewhere. It’s a nice sunny day so the panels are chugging along charging things up. I was thinking I needed to do a grid down test so here you go…

5 Likes

The sun was nice enough to come out today so the batteries are fully charged and the fridge and freezer were plugged in all day. Happy off gridder again. The utility power just came back on. Didn’t even need the genny…

4 Likes

Yeah, but we don’t like to publish thoughts like that for too many people to read Mike. We’ll let you in but …Sssshhhhhh!

4 Likes

nice truck JO…

We’ve been busier than ever. Trying to get everything ready for the summer programs before the end of this month. Being down for a month with pneumonia took a big bight out of my schedule. But feeling pretty much back to normal, but out of shape. Kinda weak and not able to work as usual. After about 10 hours I just can’t keep going any more.
Thank the Lord for a good bunch around here who have stepped up to fill the gaps.

It’s 7;30 PM. Jakob is still out working on his charcoal production facility. I’ve been real proud of him with what he’s been doing. He built a big rocket stove furnace with a pretty good idea I think for making char. Then he fabricated a grinder/sifter using an old electric bike called an Exercycle. I think it’s a physical therapy kinda thing. We got it at the thrift store for $20.00. It has a good size electric motor and a gear box that runs the pedals and handlebars. I hope we can figure out how to upload a video. He had a good idea for a driveshaft. He threaded a bolt into the end of the shafts and used an extension, universal wobbler, and socket so there would be a little play and it could slide some. Anyway, I’ll try to get some pics on that thread. I’ll stop rattling on about it, just kinda proud of the boy…

10 Likes

It was a good day on the farm I just got my second calf for the spring.

The outside photo is the other calf this spring she is about 2 months old now. Both are female and both of the calves and both moms are doing well so I am happy.

11 Likes

Here are a couple of photos from this morning. I fed them outside and she is enjoying the few inches or snow we got yesterday. Both the mother and the baby are doing well. In the second photo you can see mommy standing behind her. I am amazed at how nice these Galloway cows look after calving. The holstein we had when I was a kid looked like skin and bones the next day and some of them could hardly walk with their udder full of milk but these cows just look normal and healthy the next day. These don’t make much milk but I really like the breed.

16 Likes

Good morning everyone!
I hope you have a blessed day!

6 Likes

Good morning Robert. How’s Belgium today?

3 Likes

Getting ready to leave about noon local from Dover Delaware.

1 Like

Ummmm…guys…I don’t think there are many DOW people over here…

I’m in Kuwait.
Robert Sorrell

4 Likes

I agree I think I will stay where there are more trees. I enjoy them too much to live without them.

6 Likes

“Happiness does not come from doing easy work but from the afterglow of satisfaction that comes after the achievement of a difficult task that demanded our best.”

― Theodore Isaac Rubin

8 Likes

No, that’s Minnesota after Bill has his fleet of DOW trucks running for a while…:blush:

Wow. We fought a war over that?

2 Likes