Life goes on - Summer 2018

Busy , Busy .

Just finished my first cutting of hay a few days ago , bushoged the farm and now back cutting hay again .

8 Likes

First time I have seen you do anything with petro except saw the petro substitute. TomC

1 Like

Seems like the only time in the summer your not cutting hay is when it rains… I am in one of those rain delays now…

1 Like

We are in a hot spell, this will likely be a record hot summer, all the way into the far north, even more extreme compared to their normal weather. Many fires are burning in the north west 1500km and farther away, the smoke has gotten here for the last week causing air quality advisories.

Here’s a pic of my temps this afternoon. Officially at the airport it was only 38, but asphalt and buildings always boost that. 43 = 109 F.

Heat like that with very little rain in places is beginning to damage hay and pasture, people will be selling cattle in the fall at a discount, as here hay supply is critical, animals have to be fed 6 or 7 months of the year, and worse yet if the pasture stops growing. Unfortunately not so many people use silage.
Chopped straw and rolled grain can substitute to a degree. Soybeans and other late crops are said to be reducing in yield.

4 Likes

This is the sun setting today 07:57pm 8/12/2018. Lots of smoke here for the fire NW of us. The sun is redish orange with a cloud passing though the middle of it. This picture off my tablet doesn’t give you the correct colors and viewing.
The fire is now over 10,000 acres and zero contend.
Sure could use some of the rain that is falling on the west side of the mountains.
Bob

5 Likes

Hm, not good when we experience the same on both sides of the pole. The cold polar hat usually tilts either way. Where is it now?

2 Likes

I can’t say as I live in the land of denialism…

3 Likes

Yes, where is the cold from the arctic? Seems the arctic is very warm.

I think the days of easy denial are coming to an end. Those who try harder can deny a while yet, but the rate of “natural disasters” will eventually put an end to that too. :frowning:

4 Likes

I agree but admitting you shouldn’t smoke in bed after the fire department finishes hosing down your house is a little too late to be helpful.

3 Likes

Yeah…

We all have a lot to account for, and it’s probably far too late to say sorry.

:frowning:

7 Likes

Sure. Sure. Only three spits of rain in the last 90 days. In a rain-forest.
That is now.
Rain will come.
Winter will come.
IF then only those who really worked to sweat the woods for-Heat, for-Power made it through the upcoming Winter to the next to-hot, too-dry summer then human caused climate change would go away, eh?
Or, according to the electric cars folks all petroleum users just should just up and walk, stay home and or die, eh?

Fellows. You can only live in the-Today. Doing the best that you can. Ignoring, subverting, diverting all of the must-do simple-solution Demanders.
Otherwise you become the one half of the old, “We have a problem. With only you and I. And it cannot me I . . . then it must be you!”
Not good to cop around me. I’m a say, Opps afterword kinda’ fellow. And move on with productive DOing.
Tree-farmer Steve unruh

2 Likes

It still looks to me like many people will die to balance this equation again, setting aside all issues of cause. I fear we as a global energy consuming culture aren’t capable of any proper solution, our track record is the opposite.

I fear in one or two decades we will know fairly clearly what we are in for. “Unprecedented” keeps on coming up in the news.

Maybe I’m just a doomer… :smile:

Regards,

4 Likes

My friend of 48 years (I’m 52) turns 50 Friday. So I had to come up with a gift for him. I don’t believe in buying presents so I made him this from scraps from my garage.
I used a spindle sander to make the scallops in an attempt to make this like a bottle cap.
I haven’t drank for almost 32 years but he likes his High Life.

15 Likes

That is some beautiful workmanship

3 Likes

I have a new baby calf this morning. This was the first calf for the mom and she is making a great mommy so far. One thing I really like about galloway cows they seem to have small calves without calving issues and they are natural moms unlike the hostiles we had when I was a kid.

10 Likes

I like the reference, Holsteins can be pretty hostile… :smile:

3 Likes

That is so funny I think I will leave it there. :rofl:

2 Likes

Ha! Ha! And here I thought you were referring to Angus momma cows as the “hostiles”. They are the most possessive, meanest I’ve ever had to handle!
S.U.

4 Likes

Nope Gary is right auto correct got the better of me somehow… funny thing about Angus I had some didn’t like them they where a little wild but didn’t really thrive on pure grass fed so I switched to the galloway. Everyone told me they are mean and I wouldn’t like them. But the ones I have are the nicest cows I have ever had. They are almost like pets.

2 Likes

My parents started out with some Angus cows, they would jump over a barb wire fence and lead the other cattle with them. That bloodline got culled out.

All the dairy breeds are noted for aggression, especially the bulls, we had a couple of brown Swiss cows that were like pets.

1 Like