Life goes on - Summer 2018

Garry, I´m sorry to hear. Unfortunately we can´t do much about the weather.

Very funny Billy!
With English as a second language my time with DOW has been as much an English lesson as a gasification one. A “sticker” is what @TomC initially accused my sawmill of being able to produce :smile: I know most things are bigger in the US but I didn´t know even stickers were 12" wide :smile:
Sticks and splinters are called “stickor” in Swedish, so the translation was never an issue. However stickers as in sticky labels we call “klistermärken” (glue-marks). See, in a while we can have this conversation in Swedish :smile:

4 Likes

Keep them comeing JO, l already know a voriety of wood related Swedish words, and one non wood related; Anka=duck. That l remembered becouse my aunts name is Anka :smile:

But seriously now, what size wood do you get in the stove? I can squeeze in up to 33cm long (about a foot)

2 Likes

Haha, yes Kalle Anka is Donald Duck.
Yes, that´s about the size of my kitchen kocking stove too. The boiler accept 52cm. US: 5/6 of two feet or something :smile:

4 Likes

Very interesting. In sawmill work, for stacking the green lumber you use strips of wood maybe 1.5" x .5", that’s what I would call stickers, but just for that specialized purpose.

3 Likes

Our “stickor” can be any small pieces of wood, from splinters in your finger to firewood kindling. I guess some people would call lumber stacking stickers “stickor” too but we name them “strö”. For some reason the same word as critter bedding.

3 Likes

Interesting. You can infer so much about the history and culture of a people by the language.

I infer from that perhaps there was a time when hand plane shavings or actual straw were used in the air drying of lumber? We have to remember that in times past sawing lumber was hard manual labour, and wouldn’t have been casually wasted on spacers for lumber drying.

3 Likes

Gary,
Jo,

In the US Midwest we also called our green grade lumber stacking sticks, stickers. We used them to air dry grade lumber before it was hauled to the dry kiln.

Bryan

6 Likes

Ja, vi kan, min fru är svensk, minst hennes brorsföräldrar talade fortfarande svenska, särskilt efter att de blev gamla och senila.:blush:

1 Like

Haha, det hade jag nästan glömt. Jag hoppas ni bevarar språket och ser till att det får samma spridning som engelskan :smile: Btw, how’s your Africa preparations progressing?

2 Likes

Not wanting to be the bearer of bad news, but there are visible signs of the changing season…

Granted, this is in the nearby national park, and at higher elevation, but not the first snow either, not a great sign.

8 Likes

Wow ! how time flies .

It has been 10 years this week that we had our coast to coast and back tour. We drove from Alabama to the Atlantic coast , then back down and around the Gulf of Mexico and on to the Pacific where we participated in the Escape from Berkeley event and back to Alabama ( 7500 miles )

12 Likes

So who won the race?

And the artical gives Berkeley all the credit, your old alma mater?

1 Like

Hello Mr. Gibb.

The little sport car running on canola oil won the race .

I made it to the finish line about an hour ahead of the little car and a day ahead of the 3rd place Mercedes. I was told I was penalized for speeding which knocked me out of the winning circle .

Somehow it never bothered me losing a race because I was going too fast . :grinning:

20 Likes

I’ve been hauling 15-20 loads of leftovers from the cleared area in September but still only made a dent in it. Mostly firewood but also about 25 timber fit to saw so far. I talked to some oldtimers about sawing in the fall. They say it’s ok. We’ll see what happens.

16 Likes

You are a worker!! I don’t remember seeing a loader on your tractor. How are you horsing the logs around and lifting to the trailer? I don’t know why you wouldn’t saw in the fall— my bro-in-law saws all year around up here. I so envy you. Reminds me of the days when I took the Farmall H out into the woods and drug downed trees out to cut them for fire wood for my shop. We are having some daily heavy frost at night now so I am trying to figure a way to heat the enclosed part of my shop. With out heat, I know my winter will be spent on the couch. TomC

6 Likes

Just stumbled across this and figured others in here would enjoy the chunkers.

6 Likes

if the cat loves shrimp…

One of our cats is just crazy…

3 Likes

That looks about right for a cat trying to figure out how to catch that thing without getting hurt.
We had some cats here when I was a kid which where crazy good hunters. One cat and a small dog my uncle had worked our a system the cat would run down behind the row of hay in the barn and drive the mice and rats out the far end the dog would be there at the end and catch them as they came out from behind the hay. My uncle alway said he didn’t train them the pets figured it out all on their own. I sort of believe that because he wasn’t good at training animals. But it was amazing to watch.
I will have to get something I think the place is getting overrun with vermin now.

3 Likes

Life goes on. Here are some pictures from a wery buissy time of year. Just random stuff my wife photoed, from our neck of the woods :wink:

This is a litle experiment l did this year. Sweet potato. I planted just ONE plant and it got this far! I did trim it at the sides to clear the path otherwise it wuld overcome the garden!

Heavyest tuber (3 pounds)

Todays harvest. I did take a few tubers out last week, about 3 pounds so all together this single plant produced around 13 pounds of delicious sweet tubers! Guess what plant earned its place in the greenhouse for overwintering…

12 Likes

Very impressive. I tried sweet potatoes and couldn’t get anything bigger then your little finger so I gave up on them thinking NH was just too cold. I am also impressed by those yellow peppers. Mine grow massive but never ripen. I think I got 1 yellow pepper and a ton of green ones none made it to red or orange. All the peppers I planted should have been yellow red or orange bell peppers. I got more peppers then myself and my uncle can use in a year though. Ofcourse I had a ton of pepper plants.
Me thinks that tree might be dead and too far gone even for a wood stove.
Great photos what are you making with the juice your straining I have never seen that setup before.

2 Likes