Life goes on - Summer 2018

Steve, we do that at work with paper reels whenever we can’t get to them with hand-truck - roll them onto a wedge stick and turn them.
Back when reels were more light weight, 1,000 pounds or so, reels could be rolled up on the steel toe-cap and turned :smile:

4 Likes

Circle saws are the best! Nice mill! :grin:

4 Likes

It is snowing on the highway mountain passes in higher elevations, and snowing in the mountains in Wenatchee Washington area. The wind is blowing and gusting in the 60 mph + range. Mission Ridge ski and snowboarding resort is get it first snow. Summer 2018 is gone for us Washington folks.
Bob

5 Likes

Dang I hope your way ahead of us here. I have way too much to do before things freeze…

4 Likes

Hard, hard killing 6 hours of Mr Frost here last night BobMac.
September’s were all “soft” frosts, hardly changing things.
Very pretty late September though. Leaves are coming down fast now.
'Bout 20-30 days early on the leaf change-drop here. Not cooler did this. Lingering drought effect.
S.U.

3 Likes

Speaking of weather we are having another monster thunder/lightening storm and we are under a tornado watch. Everyone has weather problems. TomC

3 Likes

Speaking of weather issues…

6 Likes

What’s with that white stuff??? This is still the summer thread. :joy::joy:
I guess I better get on cleaning out my barn before it freezes up again for another winter. And filling up my wood shed and man the list is too long I think I am in serious trouble…

3 Likes

You and me both, and it looks like way more trouble here. But heads up, the long range forecast isn’t looking great…

This snow will melt, minus 7C tonight. But the next one might stick till spring. I’m sorry for the farmers with canola standing or in the swath.

A buddy sent this recollection earlier today:

59 years ago to the day, Manitoba had a storm like Alberta. It never went away. Dad said they were home for almost 3 days. No straw baled. Had to plow a path out to bring the cattle in from the fields. Had about 3 ft in that snow not including drifts.

History isn’t quite repeating, but I don’t see a great future for concrete projects, etc. Calgary Alberta got 45 cm yesterday, we got the wisps of it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up on the cold air snow, we michigan folks gets lots of snow weather, not as much snow but plenty cold.The farmers alminack.is calling for an extended snow season till late march in the north east last time i looked. A few good size solar sun flares could warm things up as well i think anyway.?

Much of this is dated but gear heads will enjoy

http://www.gus-stories.org/the_model_garage.htm

3 Likes

Garry, it appears to have spread down here too.

3 Likes

Good memories; When all of my friends were reading and trading issues of comic books, I was reading my dad’s Popular Mechanics and Science. Another one was Readers Digest. Not the stories but down at the bottom of some pages they had, “laws that are still on the books”. Very informative and often funny TomC

8 Likes

I almost hit the like button Bill, but apart from kids, (or deerhunters), I don’t know who likes this weather. Over a month too early. It’s snowing again here this morning, so expect more. Yesterday morning it was minus 11C, that is heating season…

3 Likes

Where I’m from, the snowmobilers and ice fisherman are big fans of winter as well as the hunters and kids. I don’t mind it as long as I have firewood. It’s always 80F in the house.

4 Likes

I still have a huge collection of those old popular science and bopular mechanics. A few as old as the 40’s and some as late as early 70’s. Loved the make it do it yourself ideas. And of course, gus wilson is always the first thing i read. Maybe i’ll d ig one out now!

6 Likes

Hey BillS,
Just finished up my first 24 hours stint heating with the the woodstove. We were still dry yesterday but the by 5:00 pm temp had dropped to 40F. 34F by 7:00 pm. Below freezing from 10:00 Pm until ~9:30 Am next morning. Expecting North Pacific rain - so snow? Lucked out; it tipped up a above freezing just as the rain started at 9:50 this morning. Whew.
Yep. Yep. 69-71F in the central hallway. Always 80-85F in the living room. Carries into 60-65F out into the bedrooms. Kitchen/dining/bathrooms in-between.
4 cubic feet of Doug Fir used for that 24 hours. ~60 pounds.
The old dogs and I love our old bones baking woodheat glow. Good for the arthritis.

Central heating is just so bland, uniform, boring, and dead, eh. Turns you into a passive consumer; versus woodheat, with you then as an Energy Maker.
tree farmer Steve unruh

5 Likes

I agree Steve about the wood heat. I couldn’t wait to be able to start up the wood stove. The bedroom is cooler which makes for better sleeping. Walking into a house from cold damp weather warmer with wood heat is very satifying. The work gloves and boots dry out in front of the stove. The same as in your house, the dog laying in front of the stove sometimes with the cat.

6 Likes

80F you better open that door up and cool it down some 10 to 15 degrees I would say. :thinking:

2 Likes

Naw. 40’sF cold wet rain wettened even a bit, and you will love it too.
S.U.

3 Likes