Life goes on - Summer 2020

Oh yeah. Still needing a house warming fire every late night into cool-cold frosty mornings.
Grocery paper sacks 1/3rd filled with wood splitter chips/dust hand compressed fuel “cubes”, bracketed by actual wood splits for the carry over hot wood char. Hey! I can finally see the wood splitter offside wheel now after 2 years buried under the chips, splinters and dusts pile.
No sense wasting the good next winters solid wood for these just carry over heating’s.
'Nother week and the garden will be seeded in. Plant starts open ground set out.
Regards Steve Unruh

7 Likes

Freezing for the next three nights predicted. Then mid-thirties for as far out as they can predict. Wisconsin is like many other states; if you don’t like the weather wait a minute. TomC

6 Likes

Thanks for the link. I got a pulse ox reader this afternoon. That at least offers an objective measuring stick for how your doing. My O2 is still in the high 90’s, so good for now. thanks

I have had Lymes before. This is much like it in the fatigue dept. but the other stuff is different.

the pulse ox levels are actually a good indicator . Since this thing mainly kills by pneumonia, it is the best indicator for how someone is doing. I am very happy to learn that information and be able to measure it. Otherwise, you’re just left to wonder how you’re doing all the time. this way I can actually measure somethign other than temperature.

Just testing my o2 has put me at ease a lot more than before. If you just go by how you feel, well, you just feel like crap all the time, so it weighs on you.

8 Likes

deleted 20 times times times

1 Like

Good luck. It is a very nasty flu. We are on our way back here, opening things. Government is doing a great job in my opinion or it is the weather. You never know.

Good tip of the oxigen meter, thanks

6 Likes

restoration of the tip for a hydraulic hammer
this beer was given to me by a neighbor, a hunter in the Kočevje region, you have to try Kristjan, … :smiley:

11 Likes

elm mowing, drenov recel, Slovenian silver

9 Likes

I did not know they still make scythes. Looks quite new.

3 Likes

that’s right, it’s new and planted at home, it’s still an indispensable tool for the masses in Slovenia
http://www.tksl.eu/

4 Likes

I wish I could find a couple good affordable ones here. All I can ever find is cheap junky ones, or the antiques that are really hard to make handles for. When I was a teenager, and early 20’s, I preferred to cut hay in certain fields with these to using the hay cutter we had. It was a tow behind monstrosity that was always breaking and hard to turn in a short field. Get the scythe really sharp and get in a good rhythm and a young man can move through a lot of grass before lunch.
It’s good for the copper heads too Garry.

7 Likes

Back in the late '90s we toured the “old” (1600’s) and the “new” 18-1900’s) scythe factories in Austria. Many people were still mowing their lawns with them, particularly the hilly parts. About half a dozen strokes at the grass, then out came the sharpening stone-
https://www.newegg.com/p/2Z6-027Y-00025?item=9SIAABH7XM8712&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googlemkp-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googlemkp-pc--pla-vsin--tools±+other+hand-_-9SIAABH7XM8712&gclid=CjwKCAjwqdn1BRBREiwAEbZcR1kez67HSVL0wzUWVEjrePBzbFdK-2UjA6X3ct_sJQCqZEHS0qp7vxoCK18QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
“swish, swish” and back to the grass.

Pete Stanaitis

5 Likes

Hi Billy, I have one like this, I wasn’t sure about aluminum, but I like it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scythe-Snath-Aluminum-1-5-In/174240123588?hash=item2891854ac4:g:TUwAAOSwqkxeh99G Using the right blade makes a big difference, short heavy for brush, long one for grass.

5 Likes

I have one just like that. Made in India where they are still a standard tool.

4 Likes

the last time I saw one of those was at the beach:

3 Likes

After the winter break, I ventilated this a bit, otherwise it costs me after the restoration of the engine (Wankel), a toxic matter 10 000 rpm/min 230 hp :grimacing:

7 Likes

I am a big fan of scythes. Unfortunaly now l preety much live in a unscythable area. Nothing but rocks, anthills and bush stumps. It will take years to level the ground enaugh to be scythable.

Tone, nex time we must look under the hood!

7 Likes

Yes, me too and again yes, I want to see that too.

That is what is bothering me. Cutting the grass that way is almost meditating, very relaxed and intensive. But the thechnical stuf is very interesting too. I tought they didnot build wankels any more?

4 Likes

Billy, l read good scythes are crazy expensive in the US. Here they are luckly of good quality (made localy) and rather cheap, 20-30$. If you need one things culd be arranged… we can make a litle trade, l wuld need some things from the US too, seeds particulary. Sorghum being one…

Stones however are geting hard to come by. Those artificial stones are cheap but to agressive, they make a blade sharp real fast but eat off the peening even faster. The right stone polishes more thain grinds.

Tone, what stones do you use?

If the ground is level, the lawn a bit wet and the scythe sharp, hand mowing can be better and faster thain a lawnmower.

7 Likes

I had 2 earlier Mazda RX-7 cars. The first one was a used 1980, very early model, which was my favorite. I bought a used one later that was in better cosmetic condition, but I did not like it as much, and sold it quickly. It did not have the spirit of the 1980 one. Fun to drive, gasoline eater!

5 Likes

Well, this is what happens on a rainy sunday afternoon. Less then an hour and a half.

8 Likes