Life goes on - Summer 2020

After the winter break, I ventilated this a bit, otherwise it costs me after the restoration of the engine (Wankel), a toxic matter 10 000 rpm/min 230 hp :grimacing:

7 Likes

I am a big fan of scythes. Unfortunaly now l preety much live in a unscythable area. Nothing but rocks, anthills and bush stumps. It will take years to level the ground enaugh to be scythable.

Tone, nex time we must look under the hood!

7 Likes

Yes, me too and again yes, I want to see that too.

That is what is bothering me. Cutting the grass that way is almost meditating, very relaxed and intensive. But the thechnical stuf is very interesting too. I tought they didnot build wankels any more?

4 Likes

Billy, l read good scythes are crazy expensive in the US. Here they are luckly of good quality (made localy) and rather cheap, 20-30$. If you need one things culd be arranged… we can make a litle trade, l wuld need some things from the US too, seeds particulary. Sorghum being one…

Stones however are geting hard to come by. Those artificial stones are cheap but to agressive, they make a blade sharp real fast but eat off the peening even faster. The right stone polishes more thain grinds.

Tone, what stones do you use?

If the ground is level, the lawn a bit wet and the scythe sharp, hand mowing can be better and faster thain a lawnmower.

7 Likes

I had 2 earlier Mazda RX-7 cars. The first one was a used 1980, very early model, which was my favorite. I bought a used one later that was in better cosmetic condition, but I did not like it as much, and sold it quickly. It did not have the spirit of the 1980 one. Fun to drive, gasoline eater!

5 Likes

Well, this is what happens on a rainy sunday afternoon. Less then an hour and a half.

8 Likes

Hi, I see it’s summer with you :blush:

4 Likes

Yes, my favorite Nike’s

5 Likes

Since on the subject, this one l made for my son out of a old bread knife.

Sister helping

18 Likes

and those are the customers.

19 Likes

Can’t start young enough. Last year we did some acres with an 80 year old guy. Unstoppable. Mid summer and his wife called, stay out of the sun. Everyone was having an ice scream except him, still going strong. I like it, but no one does that anymore. They use the screaming version instead.

7 Likes

the reaper forgot his tool…

3 Likes

Mr. Reaper is a very practical fellow if a bit grim.
Why chase down always in movements Doers/Workers when he can just hang around and easy harvest Slackers, eh.
Take a page from the sharks and just keep moving.
S.U.

4 Likes
2 Likes

Steve, thats so true!

1 Like

Blacksmith’s burner
a simple but efficient home-made LPG burner, the base is a 1 “tube into which a venturi constriction is inserted in the upper part and expanded to 5/4” at the bottom. The gas is dosed before the venturi constriction via a 1.2 mm capillary tube, so the gas velocity is also followed by air, which mixes in the constriction flow and the tube and a sharp flame is obtained at the outlet.

5 Likes

Maybe off topic or not, but I have been helping a friend put together a 1909 Stanley steam car for the past 3 years. (off and on) Finally got to where it runs. The thing is basically a carriage with out a horse in front. Now I am thinking how to run it on charcoal instead of kerosene:grinning:

Gary in PA (PS. that is me in the driver seat)

25 Likes

That’s pretty cool Gary!

5 Likes

Earth Tools sells a good scythe, but it’s around $100 for snath and grass blade. We have stones and stump anvils too.

https://www.earthtools.com/garden-tools-shw/shw-scythes-shovels-misc/

9 Likes

Looks like fun, Gary.

4 Likes