Life goes on - Summer 2020

I agree Jakob. Kristijan is THE Master Chef :smile:

3 Likes

Hey Billy .

Please keep us posted on your health . We are praying for you .

4 Likes

Billy, sorry to hear you’re not feeling well, if it comes back negative, please get checked for Lymes.

3 Likes

Dan, the original recepie has wery litle tomato in. Its the onion that is the star of the show! The stronger the better!

Original version is made in a clay pot in a oven. A big chunk of beef simmered in a onion and paprika sauce till infinity. Then eaten kinda like your pulled pork.

Jakob, why not? Its simple. Start your Rocket stove and put it in overdrive. Ignore the fact its not burning efficiently, you want all the heat you can get. I allmost got my ears pulled by Dr Larry doing that :smile:
Best is cast iron. Heat well and brown your meat chunks fast and good, its where the flavor comes from. Use whatever meat you want but best is beef, deer or horse.
Once brown, throw in your spices. Black pepper, bay leaf, thyme, the elusive juniper berrys (crushed), garlic, chillis. Rost the spices a few seconds and add diced onions. Red or shallots preffered, stronger the better! 1 pound of meat, 1 pound of onions! Salt. Stir well till the onions collaps and start geting a bit caramelysed and form a smooth texture. Add paprika generously, say a tablespoon per pound of meat. Pour in a generous amount of wine, the darker the better! Merlot works great. Wait till the water and alcohol evaporate and the smooth texture reapears. A bit of tomato paste. Pour in water or better, broth, simmer till the meat melts in your mouth.
Density is optional. I like it best if its left thick and you can allmost eat it with a fork. Serve with white bread or traditionaly, corn polenta (grits).

There is allso a slightly more fancy brother of the golaĆŸ, bograč. Preparation is same but it is made out of 4 different meats! Usualy beef, deer, wild boar and some bird. Allso you throw in big peaces of potatoes (after all else is done so they dond desintigrate while you stir!), and diced red bell pepper.

I forgot to mention, this dish is best when made out of old, tough meat with lots of connective tissue. The tendons will melt in the sauce and give you a unique texture to both meat and sauce. And you get rid of otherwise “useless” cuts of meat :wink:

9 Likes

Ok that is definitely a different dish but sounds really good I will have to try it. Sounds like a version of a slow cooked beef I failed at about a year ago because it didn’t have enough spice to give it flavor I think. But I was totally winging it af the time trying to remember what someone else had done years ago.
Thanks for the recipe.

4 Likes

Hi All
My state of Washimgton following neighboring Oregon’s lead has uncorked “elective” medical procedures as of Tuesday the 5th.
Upshot my wife’s stuck kidney stone surgery got scheduled for next week. THIS give her a Covid-19 priority pre-surgery test.
And just this morning dentist office called to pick up 2 of my 3, in April scheduled, canceled procedures.

We do have Covid-19 cases and have had deaths in my corner of the state county. 372 with 23 dealths in a 480,000 county. Two Large Hospitals starving now only supporting 10 affected Covid hospitalized.
These hospitals are only being ER /ICU, and Respirators’ worked at a low percentage of capacity.
Hospitals, clinics and dentists are financially starving out from no pay-in work.
And just like the Gov’Mint Farmer reliefs moneys; the SBA and to-hospitals Federal relief moneys only pay a percentage of normal billed income.
So I am sure the financial screaming from the Health Care fields is having an effect on our various States Governors.
And the folks in the Health Care fields scream in peer level, degreed “science” languages.
Just today our very Presidential hating opposite Party state Governor Jay has finally conceded the use/need for extensive state-bought, in-state antibody testing. Pressured I am sure from his own in-state medical professionals to use all options available to him. To quit playing national politics. And use ALL of the Science tools to help those who actually elected him.
S.U.

5 Likes

Oh yeah. Still needing a house warming fire every late night into cool-cold frosty mornings.
Grocery paper sacks 1/3rd filled with wood splitter chips/dust hand compressed fuel “cubes”, bracketed by actual wood splits for the carry over hot wood char. Hey! I can finally see the wood splitter offside wheel now after 2 years buried under the chips, splinters and dusts pile.
No sense wasting the good next winters solid wood for these just carry over heating’s.
'Nother week and the garden will be seeded in. Plant starts open ground set out.
Regards Steve Unruh

7 Likes

Freezing for the next three nights predicted. Then mid-thirties for as far out as they can predict. Wisconsin is like many other states; if you don’t like the weather wait a minute. TomC

6 Likes

Thanks for the link. I got a pulse ox reader this afternoon. That at least offers an objective measuring stick for how your doing. My O2 is still in the high 90’s, so good for now. thanks

I have had Lymes before. This is much like it in the fatigue dept. but the other stuff is different.

the pulse ox levels are actually a good indicator . Since this thing mainly kills by pneumonia, it is the best indicator for how someone is doing. I am very happy to learn that information and be able to measure it. Otherwise, you’re just left to wonder how you’re doing all the time. this way I can actually measure somethign other than temperature.

Just testing my o2 has put me at ease a lot more than before. If you just go by how you feel, well, you just feel like crap all the time, so it weighs on you.

8 Likes

deleted 20 times times times

1 Like

Good luck. It is a very nasty flu. We are on our way back here, opening things. Government is doing a great job in my opinion or it is the weather. You never know.

Good tip of the oxigen meter, thanks

6 Likes

restoration of the tip for a hydraulic hammer
this beer was given to me by a neighbor, a hunter in the Kočevje region, you have to try Kristjan, 
 :smiley:

11 Likes

elm mowing, drenov recel, Slovenian silver

9 Likes

I did not know they still make scythes. Looks quite new.

3 Likes

that’s right, it’s new and planted at home, it’s still an indispensable tool for the masses in Slovenia
http://www.tksl.eu/

4 Likes

I wish I could find a couple good affordable ones here. All I can ever find is cheap junky ones, or the antiques that are really hard to make handles for. When I was a teenager, and early 20’s, I preferred to cut hay in certain fields with these to using the hay cutter we had. It was a tow behind monstrosity that was always breaking and hard to turn in a short field. Get the scythe really sharp and get in a good rhythm and a young man can move through a lot of grass before lunch.
It’s good for the copper heads too Garry.

7 Likes

Back in the late '90s we toured the “old” (1600’s) and the “new” 18-1900’s) scythe factories in Austria. Many people were still mowing their lawns with them, particularly the hilly parts. About half a dozen strokes at the grass, then out came the sharpening stone-
https://www.newegg.com/p/2Z6-027Y-00025?item=9SIAABH7XM8712&source=region&nm_mc=knc-googlemkp-pc&cm_mmc=knc-googlemkp-pc--pla-vsin--tools±+other+hand-_-9SIAABH7XM8712&gclid=CjwKCAjwqdn1BRBREiwAEbZcR1kez67HSVL0wzUWVEjrePBzbFdK-2UjA6X3ct_sJQCqZEHS0qp7vxoCK18QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
“swish, swish” and back to the grass.

Pete Stanaitis

5 Likes

Hi Billy, I have one like this, I wasn’t sure about aluminum, but I like it. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scythe-Snath-Aluminum-1-5-In/174240123588?hash=item2891854ac4:g:TUwAAOSwqkxeh99G Using the right blade makes a big difference, short heavy for brush, long one for grass.

5 Likes

I have one just like that. Made in India where they are still a standard tool.

4 Likes

the last time I saw one of those was at the beach:

3 Likes