Life goes on - Summer 2020

Hi Jo

thanks for the reply Jo. this information confirms, my intuission of the reasons for the malfunction of my boiler. the chimney is too short (+/- 5 meters) the section of the chimney +/- 15 cm and the post-combustion chamber (a 6 "pipe in ss) poorly insulated

1 Like

Hi Billy, Iā€™ve not seen fruit on these yet. One plant Iā€™ve watched for 3 years. Iā€™ve seen purple fruit on a very large one down in Florida decades ago.

In one building we made shelves of simply 2x12ā€™s on concrete blocks. Not pretty but functional. In the main plant where I had a bit more floor space I started organizing my shop in earnest some 15 years ago when the County Post chain of farm supply stores went out of business. I bought an entire isle of Lozier gondola shelving. It had the wire frames that fit to the shelves for pipe fittings, spray paint can guides for shelves, battery racks, shovel/rake brackets and a host of other goodies Must have been over 50 ft of 6 - 7 ft tall shelving in all. I used the narrow shelves for all of my technical manuals. 8 4 ft shelves full - Moror and Chilton manuals from the 40s thru 90ā€™s. All of the heavy equipment manuals. Detroit diesel manuals. etc. Itā€™s all ruined now from the fire.

When the local K-Mart store closed earlier this year I bought a bunch of shelving again. It is Streeter rather than Lozier brand but the price was right. I got an entire 2 sided toy isle for for $150 several months before they closed. Then - as the store closing drew near - I bought more - too much more - as the price dropped to much less than Iā€™d given earlier. They couldnā€™t sell it all. They were stacking it in 30ft roll off containers to sell for scrap at $100 a ton. I know of 3 containers that they filled and more that they were still filling.
Sad when you know some one could have used it.

2 Likes

Sorry, picture on the side. These barnswallow is trying to build a house again. Last time was in september a few years ago. Instead of flying to Africa they were building??? So cut a half feet hole in the facade with hole saw, but they didnot want to fly through. Now it is almost two feet, must be enough this time. There are some moments I want to shut the doorā€¦

6 Likes

My father does similar with cliff swallows that decided his workshop would make an excellent place to nest, inside above the walk in door. He leaves the big door open the entire nesting season, shuts them in at night. If he leaves the lights on they will clean up every mosquito over night. :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

Joep, deep respect to anyone prepared to do that for a couple of birds. We have a old saying ā€œwhere swalows nest, good people liveā€.

8 Likes

Ha ha, that is an idea too. Small led, no problem

Thanks, the birds make me very happy and are having a hard time finding a good place in modern houses/barns. Window is only necessary in the wintertime, so time enough.

7 Likes

A tree down in my hay field but it will not be wasted . There will be a lot wood miles to come out of it :slightly_smiling_face:

I do wish it was lower to the ground . I am getting too old to be climbing .

IMG_1103

13 Likes

Can you chain it and have someone pull it down? I hate trees that stop half way they are dangerous.

2 Likes

Yes Dan , very dangerous . It has a big root bulb and the trunk will fly back up in the air unless I handle it just right .

Also another 12 inch tree in the root bulb that is adding to the issue .

8 Likes

I canā€™t really like thatā€¦ . :cold_sweat:
Good thing this isnā€™t your first time cleaning up a down treeā€¦

4 Likes

Too bad Kristijan wasnā€™t closerā€¦ :smiley:

8 Likes

Ha, l think you had the climbing part in mind Garry :smile:

But the thing is l learned a preety good trick to deal with those situations. It involves making a hole in the trunk base and some chemistry :wink:

10 Likes

For some reason nice weather makes anything wood related so much more fun. Also, itā€™s when you feel like using the camera.
Hop in and follow me go for some timber. This is maybe the 20st time this spring the 1947 Fergie and I travel this road. Itā€™s starting to get as flat as an interstate :smile:

13 Likes

That looks like a Louisiana Interstate. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

For all you guys out there that are stuck in the house a lot and want to fall down the You Tube rabbit hole, here is an interesting video of planting corn the modern way.

2 Likes

Just picked up 15 Guinea fowl. They all arrived safe and sound. This is a new adventure for me never tried free range pest control but everyone tells me that they will eat the ticks and potatoe bugs. I guess I will find out. There are also 15 New Hampshire hens comming in a little over a week so at some point I should have some eggs for breakfastā€¦

9 Likes

Thanks Don for the video . Very nice machines and farm land !

On another note I found myself checking my shirt pockets this morning :grinning:

2 Likes

I wonder how many cornstalks until you break-even :thinking:

3 Likes

No bones broken and motor fuel for several thousand miles :blush:

IMG_1101

IMG_1104

11 Likes