Life goes on - Summer 2022

Continuing the discussion from Life goes on - Winter 2021:

14 Likes

Summer is indeed upon us in the Northern Hemisphere.

Need to start my garden for the year, and get my potato barrel and buckets going.

6 Likes

50 degrees f here today and snow is melting. I am actually starting to believe winter will not go on forever.

6 Likes

Yup,yup. Tomato plants in the greenhouse are growing and other seeds a spring up too. We are right at 60°f today a slight breeze, the sun is shining bright. Hardy any clouds in the sky North, East, South, well some hanging over the Wenatchee mountains and West. Snow is still at 3,000 ft. above sea level, we sit at 700 ft. The Wenatchee Mountains are at 7,000 ft.
The good news is I am working on my gasifer projects getting them back out and uncovered from the tarps. Lots of things to do once it get organized and my work area is set up again to weld cut steel and to fabricate steel and the like. My shop area is a compete unorganized mess. But not for long. Time for the big spring clean out of accumulated junk stored for winter months. Oh wait I can use that and this too as I clean it out and decided there to put it all. Tools everywhere. Does anyone else have this problem I ask in the spring time?
Bob

9 Likes

Not in the spring time no. It’s year round :joy:

“Yes”

5 Likes

I have not heard from Max Gasman in some time. Is he okay? I’m sure somebody on here has more convenient ways to talk to him.

2 Likes

I’ve given up any hope of ever getting ANYTHING organized in this life. Hopefully heaven for folks like us is a shop with everything you need all in it’s own labeled drawer.

7 Likes

If it is there will be the jerk like me that comes in and switches the drawer positions so you still have to wander the shop looking for what you need :grin: Now does the oil filter wrench go with the filters, or in the wrench drawer? Battery cable next to the batteries, or with the electrical supplies? I know the welder sits closest to the live axle portion of any shop parking, incase extra traction is needed :+1:

6 Likes

You are just a bad hombre Marcus. I guess I’d risk the mess to hang with you for a while.

5 Likes

No welding today, total downpour and the shop is still full of my crap. I wouldn’t want to risk the humidity anyways for my shop compressor.

2 Likes

Some of us say here: Spring has Sprung . . . a leak.
S.U.

5 Likes

Hi mr Steve, i read back in the “winter” thread you mention you drove a Saab 95 back in -74, just wondering, you mean the small station-wagon, with v4 engine?
Just asking because i love the old Saab’s, and find it really nice to think about, that some of them found their way to the US.
(I have owned 9 of them Saab 96 v4, the last one i still have here, in need of some repairs)
Göran

5 Likes

Saabs were seen as exotic cars here in the US. Sporty. At least the older ones are. I like that Saab based their old cars on fighter jets, very neat.

Went to get off the couch after relaxing with the dogs and my floating knee cap had to throw a tendon or something underneath it. Not fun. Hyperextended it doing HEMA on wet grass in 2013. Never sure if it’s a piece of bone or stretched ligament slipping under my kneecap but either way it ends my day. If I was a horse I’d have been put out of my misery a long time ago.

5 Likes

Bad memory, sorry. It was a model 96 with the German Ford V-4. My sneaky, no-way, surprise car.
A fellow street racer had a Sonnet II? built up to outrun the heavier Volvo 122’s, and the heavy Volvos P1800 sports coupe guys.
Sigh. That power to weight ratio factor. Plus, tires. Plus the drivers risk-taking balls. The hotted-up Datsun 510 sedan would pull ahead.
My bad boy days. The need for risks. Addicted.

7 Likes

Nice to hear, almost the same car, by some reason the 95’s seemed to rust away faster than the 96’s, atleast in Sweden, with excessive road salting.

3 Likes

What an utter waste of plastic. Why can’t they just send it on card stock, at least then it can degrade into the soil safely.
The dealership I work at doesn’t even send garbage in the mail, we do Cold Calls and Billboards.
I wouldn’t want a new Ford anyways.

This card is as big as two business envelopes one on top of the other.

2 Likes

Saw this little fellow in the snow.
Its a sign all right.

6 Likes

This has been a very inspiring day for me. I have two gasifer projects to finish. Now I have five. Roy the orchardist next door where I get my wood from has been interested in my Gasifier Truck. He would like to have a charcoal gasifer generator on a trailer, and a gasifer truck 1992 Chevy 350 tbi 1/2 ton, and charcoal gasifer on his 1992 geo storm car. I help him build them and he pays me. These gas prices going up is very interesting indeed. I am going to be very busy this summer.
Glad I got my knee fixed up. My is doing great.
Oh yes he is great at finding all kinds of free parts for gasification.
Bob

12 Likes

Glad too hear your nee surgery worked out good, You do such good quallity gasifier builds , its no wounder you have customers lined up, I wish i had half the skills building gasifiers that you have , sounds like fun, more gasifier welding.

7 Likes

Hey @Matt, I have one of the old Predator briefcase units powered by the Yamaha 79cc engine. If I were to find a larger displacement engine with the same 5/8" shaft, that would compensate for wattage loss while on woodgas, right? I want to say it’s a “2000w” but is really a ~1600w inverter generator. Plastic body is totally ruined from being left in a truck bed for years so I’ll have to make my own frame for it.

If I were to use some sort of Lovejoy adapter from a 196cc Honda clone to drive a 5/8" shaft to the generator head that should work in theory right? Or would it overpower the system and mess something up?

1 Like