Life goes on - Summer 2022

I have two of these Granger Sasquatch engines. Both are Kawasaki 340s, one with a snapped rod and the other is stuck (still on the bike). They are horizontal shaft.
If you need parts lemme know and we can figure out shipping.

2 Likes

Right now Iā€™m looking for a one piece electronic coil so I wonā€™t be at the mercy of a separate ignitor. The knockoff ones donā€™t last as long as the Kawasaki ones.

1 Like

@tcholton717
Bobby Swain is still alive. The junk yard is still going too. If you ever need bizarre pieces for anything they will have it.

I had not seen him in 15yrs.
He on the big curve after Bellaire but before Shanty creek. Comfort Rd and M88

I asked him to find me a Michigan 75A steer axle. Next time I stop he will have it ready.

8 Likes

I wish I could go there Bruce. I once built a house for a guy that owns an auto junk yard in Mancelona. Our sons played hockey together. Now I have mental illness and cannot leave my homestead without a lot of anxiety. I made it to Harbor Freight a month ago but couldnā€™t go in and last time I actually went into Menardā€™s was Feb 16. I have made it to the recycling bins in Cedar a few times but thatā€™s only two miles. Menardā€™s is my limit. Thatā€™s 17 miles one way. I havenā€™t gone farther than that in years. Itā€™s why I havenā€™t built a wood gas vehicle yet. My wife goes out to replenish supplies every two weeks. We donā€™t use 10 gallons of gasoline a month.

6 Likes

Ok Tom,
I had a girlfriend like that for awhile. I really enjoyed her. She always had the coffee made, dinner ready and always lonely for me too :wink:.
I always let her know when I was in the back working or if I had to leave. Good times.
I like to be like you now. I try to stay home and concentrate on projects as much as possibleā€¦but life keeps dragging me off the reservation.
Today, I woke up in Grayling, and am heading to Mio. From there I head to Alpena, then back across the straits.

9 Likes

Greetings Tom, it has been two years since I arrived at this forum and I visit it almost every day, I would like to thank you very much for the good company and your thoughts and also to everyone else, friends. Weā€™re probably all a little mentally handicapped, but itā€™s such a type of activity that itā€™s an occupational disease. Otherwise, I am also nailed to home, except that I go to work, I do not go anywhere. My dear wife has severe epilepsy, which requires constant monitoring, ā€¦ after 30 years she is quite mentally ill, but thank God she is still with me.

11 Likes

Tom, you could always do what Wayne does - drive around in circles :rofl:

11 Likes

Tom calling this an illness is too strong.
I got my latest brains scan results back last week.
No disease. No organic ā€œillnessā€. Just areas of previous damaged contained anomalies.
So why is my memory shit? Why had I lost ability to juggle multiple bouncing work situations?
Why now the one side ā€œeventsā€, eh?

They have no actual answered. I am officially tagged with pseudodementia.
All-in-my head. Yeah! Thatā€™s what I teel them! Itā€™s in my head!
Nope. They mean psychologically-emotionally.

Tom H you have a developed syndrome. Look up that word.
It is real. Just the same as a long-term concrete worker developing a reactive syndrome to concrete dust. This happens. This is real. A diesel guy who can no longer be around diesel exhaust. He breaks out coughing, sneezing, eyes watering. I knew a plumber once who the least bit of drain cleaner and he broke out in bleeding hives.
The body says: no-more. Not one time more.
Well the mind can do the same.

Youā€™re OK TomH.
Actually the best of times with expanded home deliveries. And button fingertip shopping now.
You are O.K.
Regards
Steve unruh

12 Likes

Yes I think we all have physical and mental illnesses of some sorts. Some are chronic some are just temporary for people.
Those who say they never get sick, are in denial or they have not gotten old enough or wise enough to recognize the symptoms. Lol. That was me a few years back in denial of the obvious. Lol. Now the process of Aging has a way of dealing with this.
Why do we all suffer this kind of different sicknesses? Itā€™s because we are human beings living in what I call the Earthsuit of skin and bones of blood and flesh. This is what we all have in common. Life is good and I appreciate it more every day I live longer.
Bob

11 Likes

I asked Marat if anyone did scans of the Soviet engineer Rybnikovā€™s designs. Here is the single nozzle downdraft wood gasifier for small engines.

Itā€™s in Russian of course, but the diagrams are in the universal language of numbers and pictures.

Thank you again @Marat_Lysenko

This gasifier comes in a very small package. 8 inch diameter hopper and the main hearth area is 5 or so inches. Designed for as translated by Google, ā€œchocksā€, so most likely small blocks or square pegs like a Jenga piece.

The filter media is a progressive grade of rashing rings, then copper wool, and then a fibrous material probably like sisal or jute. And a final tight copper screen to serve as an early warning ā€œtar gets passed Iā€™ll clog upā€.

10 Likes

Thanks for the affirmations everyone. You are right SteveU about how on-line ordering and deliveries allows me to get the things I need. I am sorry that it drove so many small business into bankruptcy. Another thing I canā€™t do anymore is lay under a vehicle to work on it. Immediately feel like Iā€™m being crushed. I actually dug a trench to drive over so I could change oil and what not. Iā€™m going to have to do some work on that thing soon. This is a very good site for a hermit. Interesting topics and very interesting people. I never connected too well with the outside world of people that well anyway. I especially enjoy contact with like minded folks in other countries. Hard to understand why there is so much conflict in the world when total strangers can get together here and work so harmoniously.

10 Likes

I wish my shop had one of those trenches. Iā€™ve seen older garages with them built in, but itā€™s deep enough to stand in.

Dad used to have one of those static alignment racks. Wish he hadnā€™t sold it, I could have used it a million times nowadays. Could have used that '53 Ford truck body and frame too.

4 Likes

I have long lusted after a two post hoist like the Northā€™s have. Almost pulled the pin on one just before I burned up all my stuff. No place to put it after. Price at Northern tool has gone up nearly a K in the last couple years.

5 Likes

Amen that. If everyone was into gasification would we have peace on earth? Nice though to think on.
Bob

6 Likes

Bob the answer would be No, if everyone were into it then there would be real money it in that never causes peace.

7 Likes

Wisconsin is known for milk and cheese. I bought a 120 acre farm to grow cash crops. Dairy cows are a lot of workā€“They had to be milked early in. the morning and in the eveningā€” in between milkings the milk parlor has to be cleaned and in the summer they have to grow all the feed that will be needed for the cow for the next year. Cleaning the parlor meant shoving all the manure to a outside door then shoveled into a manure spreader which was pulled out to the crop fields and spread for fertilizer.
Shortly after I moved up here, the dairy farms started increasing the size of their herds-- from like milking 15 to 20 cows to milking like 100 to 130. This meant growing more feed, which meant bigger equipment and different methods. My neighbor was one of the first to build a new barn with like a swimming pool down through the middleā€¦ They made up concrete grates that laid over this storage pools and the cows could walk on the grates. Instead of shoveling the manure around, they had high pressure water that they washed the manure through the grates. and into the storage pool. Other farmers put in big storage tanks where they pumped the water/manure into for storage. Then they bought huge tanker trailers that they pumped the manure into from their storage area. They pulled the tankers out to the fields with tractors and dumped the solution on the field and disked it into the ground.
These tankers pulled with tractors were too slow. So, they started buying highway tankers like gasoline is hauled in. They dumped the load on the field and disk it in.
Then the guy that farmed the fields across the road showed up with a large piece of equipment that he attached to it a 1/2 mile of 6" rubber hose. The other end of the hose was attached to a large tractor that had like heavy cultivator teeth on a bar on the back. The semi trucks showed up and pumped the solution into the big piece of equipment, which was a engine powered pump that pushed the solution through the hose to the tractor where it was poured onto the ground and the teeth covered the solution over with dirt. That tractor started at the pumping station and worked itā€™s way back and forth pulling the hose and fertilizing the field.
I talked to the farmer that rents my fields and he now has a pumping station where he is going to pump directly out of the storage area (swimming pool like ) and 3 miles across fields to the field that he wants to fertilize with the water/manure solution. There again the hose will hook up to a tractor which will spread the solution and cover it. I canā€™t believe the way farming has changed. These farmers are now milking 700 to 1000 cows 3 and 4 times a day. Obviously we are somehow gaining a large quantity of Hispanics up here to do the grunt work. Kind of like slaves were brought in to pick cotton and tobacco. I guess the Wisconsin and California milk producers are paying Biden to open our southern boarder. TomC

12 Likes

We have processed Cheese in Canada.
But then there is the harder blocks of American Cheeseā€¦
Man thats nice on burger or to make mac and cheese with.
Canā€™t buy it here.

Back in the 90s the wife and I were living and working in small town in central Ontario.
The wife would not drink the water she said it smelled funny like S***Tā€¦
I thought she was nuts only crazy people buy water in bottles because the stuff out of the tap is so highly tested regulated and inspectedā€¦

Turns out years of funding cuts meant no one was testing the water to the standards of just a decade earlier.
And factory hog farms in the area where dumping all that pig poo on the fields and the run off was in the rivers.
And people started to get sick die in Walkerton.

The wife still wont drink tap water unless its filtered and prefers the bottled stuff.
I still cling to the idea that I pay enough tax the water should be safe from the tap.

6 Likes

More visitors the the yard, the local 3 blacktail deer

9 Likes

Three centuries of house heating Technology in this picture:

19th century splitting wood on a stump block (chasing down the flying chunks!).
20th century splitting wood within old rubber tires to keep all of the splits held, on hand.
21st century mini-ductless heat pump. No splitting wood at all!
Ha! Grid power went out again this morning.
Gitā€™ta splitting you lazy Unruh before it really starts to raining!
S.U.

13 Likes

Old tradition to celebrate beginning of summer, hasnā€™t been any in about 6 years, due to covid, and before that cancelled due to severe fire hazard, very dry April.

May-fire, always in the last day of April, donā€™t know if other countries celebrate this way?

Ends with firework.
A waste of firewood :roll_eyes:, but nice tradition, some singing about spring, welcome summer speeches, coffee, hot dogs, and the youngsters often get drunk the first time of their life :roll_eyes:

8 Likes