Life goes on - Summer 2022

Been chasing down air leaks today. Used up the last bit of brazing rod I had. About 10 years ago was the last store buy and I thought it was high then. Bought a handful at auction for $5 since then. Went to the supply house today and sure had sticker shock with the inflation price. The brazing rod is not all that bad when I look at all the gas I am saving.

8 Likes

Yesterday there was an event in our small village, GodegĂ„rd Summer Meet, alot of old cars, trucks, tractors, motorcycles and other old, “vintage” stuff. Me and some friends displayed and showed old chainsaws, there was a great interest from the visitors.

A part of my collection.

I also ran my hot-bulb ignition engine, people like to listen to these slow-runners.

When showing chainsaws we cut this thin discs, or “cookies” in the chainsaw world, just to make the display wood last longer.
Guess whos got to bring them home? And what they are excellent for? :wink: :smiley:

15 Likes

Those cookies are how I process any log wood I have, and I just break them up with my hatchet. Very cool pictures thanks for sharing!

6 Likes

I have six saws Goran. I thought I was a high roller. Your collection makes me look like a chump. How about a close up picture of some of those saws. They are very interesting.

5 Likes

Yeah, thats kind of an “addiction” for me :crazy_face: i love old saw’s

I can of course post some close-ups if there is interest, only afraid to “infect” this forum with my old scrap :blush:

11 Likes

It’s Mulberry season and the squirrels are loving it. Also here’s a crappy picture of my favorite tree, our Japanese Maple. Grandpa had the tree planted here when the house was built in 1960.

11 Likes

Make sure you don’t have laundry hanging on a clothes line when those mulberries are ripe. :grimacing:

9 Likes

The grandchildren love ripe mulberrys the tree below the orchard is going to be loaded this year. Purple faces and hands and Clothes? Well it happens.
Bob

10 Likes

I should get my stepladder out and start picking the ripe ones. I’m sure they keep in a freezer for a long time.

Edit:
Sidenote was doing some much needed maintenance on my mom’s John Deere zero turn. M653 model with the 22hp Kawasaki V twin. She put in a trailer hitch adapter to pull leaf collectors but we haven’t used that in such a long time, leaving the clippings and mulched leaves made our yard so much healthier.

Every time I look at that mounting bracket it screams, “Put an updraft charcoal unit on me!”. Maybe when gas gets more expensive she’ll let me do just that.

6 Likes

Bought 4 of these small drums. 10 gallons in capacity, all came with lids and locking rings. Held some kind of aluminum paste. He has more and I think I’m gonna have to buy more.

Top diameter is 15", bottom diameter is 14". 19" tall.

Definitely going to buy more, he’s selling them to me for 10 dollars each and I knew him in school. Will make good filling lids and filter bodies I think.

9 Likes

Makes me drull like a kid over a lollypopp.

9 Likes

Having a fish fry with dad. Swai, hush puppies, German fries, and fried shrimp.

Don’t know why we call them German Fries, dad says that’s just what grandpa called them. Bake a potato, slice it lengthwise a few times then deep fry it until crispy.

7 Likes

We call them JoJos potato weges up here, really good.
Bob

5 Likes

You are the king of saws Goran. I am especially curious about the first three in your original picture. I think I have seen some old Sachs-Dolmar saws that looked similar. Is the farthest saw on the left with the handle on the nose of the bar an Old McCulloch?.

7 Likes

Goren we had a local saw shop owner with an amazing chainsaw collection also.
Wayne of Amboy SawShop

He “retired” from his own shop and became the regional Stihl factory representative for the dealers.
He was always on the look out for some rare, rare European limited made diesel saw.
You heard of this one? You have this one?
Regards
Steve unruh

5 Likes

I found this about the European diesel chainsaw:

Apparently originally a Norwegian, then evolved Swedish produced series of saws 1950-1954 (later as a Jonsered xa, xb).
Not so diesel engine heavy.
Not so weak powerful at 4 hp.
Smoky, smoky, smoky as seen by the youtubes!!
S.U.

5 Likes

This morning I loaded a load of calves and realized I had a couple of young birds on board. They made a 30 mile round trip DOW and back home safe .

17 Likes

Hi Tom, no i dont have any McCulloch two man saw’s, it’s something i really want for my collection, unfortunately they never made it to Sweden, only way is probably to “import” one, ebay or like, but the shipping should cost more than i can handle for this “hobby”.
The 2 saw’s with helper’s handle in the background are a Rexo (French, 1947), and a Dolmar (German, 1936).
I dont know which ones you mean, but the 3 up front, from left are Norwegian made, JO-BU, model: Senior, Junior and Starlet.

4 Likes

Steve, l looked up some videos. Smoky is a understatement. Seems like those saws burn maybee 12% of fuel injected, the rest gets used up as a smokescreen :smile:

5 Likes

Hi SteveU, fun you mention, Wayne Sutton i recognize from chainsaw collectors forum, i think he has, probably the nicest collection in the world, he’s done many amazing restorations, of very rare saw’s.
As for the diesel i think he has found some if i remember correctly.
And yes, i have one, Como Comet diesel, very fun saw, actually a semi-diesel, ignites with the help of a hot tube, much like hot-bulb ignition engines.
Where i post pic’s of my collection it can be seen at first pic, in the middle of next to bottom shelf.
Ah, and about the smoke, these was made to run of gasoline, kerosene or diesel, gasoline was highly recomended for power and almost smokeless. They where never popular to run on “straight” diesel, because of the heavy smoking, and trouble with idling.

7 Likes