Life goes on - Summer 2023

Little update on the wood-wagon, finally some spring-temperatures around here, 50°F short-sleeved shirt weather. Did some welding.

The “coupler” in place, ball hitch mounted near middle of tractor, for ease of steering, combined with a long gooseneck.
Also welded in a vertical square tube for a “fence” to stop logs from slipping forward, it also has the purpose as a mounting point for a future cable-crane.

Stakes in place, tiltable for easy loading/unloading.

Is there anybody more than me that hates when this happens? A cut-of disc with lots of “life” left, and there comes me, smooth as a steam-roller, and steps on it… :rage:

Well, last fix today, splashed some metal-primer
On it. Now it’s good for harvesting wood for the truck.

21 Likes

Oh l know the fealing! Those things are geting pricey too…

8 Likes

I’ve been using this brand for a couple years now. They are working well for me. Last order was 4 of the 50 packs so I have plenty of disks. Now I need to find more steel to cut up.
https://www.amazon.com/Cutting-Wheel-x-040-Stainless-SATC/dp/B07VLX3H94/ref=sr_1_30?c=ts&keywords=Cut-Off%2BWheels&qid=1681211878&s=industrial&sr=1-30&ts_id=256194011&th=1

5 Likes

I have one of these. Very handy but be careful with it. It can jump if you’re cutting pipe.

LENOX Tools Cutting Wheel, Diamond Edge, 4-1/2-Inch (1972921) https://a.co/d/aszha5a

5 Likes

Hey Cody, how long do those wheels really last? Even if it is only 10x, I wouldn’t have to deal with the diameter getting smaller and trying to get every last mm out of regular abrasive disc. I doubt I could find the diamond disc here though. :slightly_frowning_face:

I’ve yet to really wear out the one I bought a few years ago.

But I don’t bear down with it.

I’m sure there’s some kind of tool company you can order a Lenox blade from in Chile.

1 Like

I checked Mercado Libre, and there are several sources, but they all order from the States and the starting price is $50. It’s the typical lack of choices here, but then again, I didn’t move here for the shopping experience!

5 Likes

I haven’t done a lot of cutting thicker than 1/4", mostly pipes and tanks. But it’s still cutting after 3 years of use if that’s any consolation.

4 Likes

I’ve never tried those. I’m going to pick up a couple. I actually prefer to use cutting disks instead of a torch or even a plasma torch for most stuff. Cuts more precisely and no clean up of the slag and edges afterward.

3 Likes

It’ll fit a 5/8" arbor, and I think you can punch it out to a 7/8" arbor. Might not be true anymore.

I still like a plasma cutter for round holes.

1 Like

Does anyone have a suggestion for a long-lasting hole saw for metal?

1 Like

Dad had a Milwaukee set we used for years.
But we wrecked one of the bits on my build. So he ordered a replacement (2" i believe) and we took the teeth right off of it. So we bought another thinking maybe the first one didnt get tempered properly… same thing. They dont make anythink like they used too.

Needless to say, im interested in a “good set” too.

5 Likes

It is a little early and way to dry, but after work i worked on gassifer for a couple hours then right before sunset hit my favorite moral mushroom spot. Found 14. Kept first one for my self and dropped rest off at my foremans so he can give them to his father who isn’t able to get out anymore. Does anyone else love the hunt for these pesky little pieces of delicious food

5 Likes

This is the set I have, Paul. I like it… The cutters just snap on to the mandrel

4 Likes

Spring has come to our place, I “spend” most of my time at work, but some is left for agriculture and other important activities (gasifier construction, blacksmithing, mechanical work, construction work,…) here are some pictures of a filter with sheep’s wool after 30 hours of operation (I wonder to myself how cleanly it works),

as well as some blacksmith work - seat suspension

22 Likes

thanks for your foto documentations -always very interesting…i will try also the sheep wool for the fiat tractor, maybee in summer i have time…in future , when someone sees naked sheeps somewhere out of season, there must be someone with tone`s filter system in the area…
i will test also horse hair…
how much nozzle holes have you in your forge? for shorter glow you block some holes with a plug?

9 Likes

The days in Slovenia must be much longer than the ones here. No way you can fit all the stuff you do into a 24 hour day and still go to a regular job unless of course your regular job is mattress tester.

11 Likes

Giorgio, the blacksmith hearth is very easy, here are the pictures,…

17 Likes

On todays episode of

“it was dropped in my scrap bin its mine im a hoader i need help”

Plumbing goods

17 Likes

We must be related Marcus.

These are all extra parts from our old boiler system

Garry C

18 Likes